ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Roadster and Coupe > General BMW Z4 Forum
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

12-10-2011, 11:35 PM   #1
sethschroeder
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2005 BMW Z4 2.5i - 5 Speed

Question New Owner - 2005 Z4 needs touch-ups

So I just finnished the PPI yesterday and the BMW private mechanic that I got referred to from a couple people at work said it was the nicest engine compartment he has ever seen on a used car, which makes me pretty happy as I thought I had found the right car.

Nuff said I really love the car so far except for something I need your input on.

Looks like the last owner tried to pry out the radio since there had been a problem with sub (which has been replaced as part of the deal I made for the car) The trim has some marks on it around the radio and I want to replace it.

Question is how hard is it to get this off and replace? I have researched a little so far and it sounds like you need to pull out the whole center counsel and everything.

Has anyone done this? Whats the general cost of parts that you have found? Also if you have a good post thats step by step it would be greatly appreciated as I am wondering as far as parts and everything.

In the end I got the car for a pretty good deal so the little cosmetic things I have no problem changing or fixing, plus its a good excuse to make the car personlized to me since its my daily ride.

Also as a new BMW owner any good websites or information or possible things I might look at modifying on the Z is welcome!

Last edited by sethschroeder; 12-10-2011 at 11:47 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-11-2011, 07:22 AM   #2
MFGJR
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 Z4 M Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by sethschroeder View Post
So I just finnished the PPI yesterday and the BMW private mechanic that I got referred to from a couple people at work said it was the nicest engine compartment he has ever seen on a used car, which makes me pretty happy as I thought I had found the right car.

Nuff said I really love the car so far except for something I need your input on.

Looks like the last owner tried to pry out the radio since there had been a problem with sub (which has been replaced as part of the deal I made for the car) The trim has some marks on it around the radio and I want to replace it.

Question is how hard is it to get this off and replace? I have researched a little so far and it sounds like you need to pull out the whole center counsel and everything.

Has anyone done this? Whats the general cost of parts that you have found? Also if you have a good post thats step by step it would be greatly appreciated as I am wondering as far as parts and everything.

In the end I got the car for a pretty good deal so the little cosmetic things I have no problem changing or fixing, plus its a good excuse to make the car personlized to me since its my daily ride.

Also as a new BMW owner any good websites or information or possible things I might look at modifying on the Z is welcome!
If we're talking about the big dash trim piece, that should be pretty easy and relatively inexpensive.

You can find diagrams and part numbers at RealOEM. Easisest way to access is to go to http://www.realoem.com/bmw/select.do and enter the last 7 characters of your VIN in the "Serial Number' box, else make all the appropriate selections to identify your car. Dash trim is found in the 'Vehicle Trim" category.

There are a variety of trim finishes--a couple brushed metals, woods, etc. Not sure whuch you have, but here's an example:
http://realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?...06&hg=51&fg=45

Armed with the correct part number, Tischer BMW is a good source for this kind of stuff--www.getbmwparts.com They have the above referenced part for $146; wood trim, if you have that, is probably a little more...

The below threads should give you somoe help with getting the trim off--pretty much remove the center and passenger-side vents, then radio. Sounds like the previous owner tried to get the radio out without first removing the center vent. Where people talk about removing the console, they're referring to changing the trim around the shifter.

http://www.motortribe.it/community/f...i-parte-17410/ (in French, but with pics)

http://www.zpost.com/forums/showthread.php?t=339707

Good luck!
      12-11-2011, 09:57 AM   #3
jra
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2005 z4

To get to the radio screws you have to pop off the ac vents...use a credit or a thin plastic scrapper to release the vents.
Appreciate 0