E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > REVIEW: ----- DTEC 20w CREE LED H8 Angel Eyes ---- E90 LCI --- color me impressed

02-27-2013, 01:45 PM   #67
reficuliu
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 Montego Blue 335i

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeMansBMW335i View Post
I've got the DTEC angel eyes and after a day of driving I got the TPMS error. I read the post about wrapping the wires in aluminum foil so I tried it. I just grabbed the wires that I could easily get to for the DTEC bulbs (I didn't even unplug the bulb) and wrapped several layers of aluminum foil around the group of wires. Shoved it back in the headlight housing and that was it. You don't see any foil on the outside. It's been a week and no more error, so it has apparently worked.
Yep everything is good here as well.
I noticed the LEDs really aren't that bright.. somehow they seem dimmer than stock bulbs in regards to actual light projection. However, the color does match a lot closer to the HID low beams. I guess I'll keep them for now. Aesthetically they're great. Functionally, unimpressive.
Appreciate 0
      02-27-2013, 07:23 PM   #68
Sweattdogg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 M3/09 e90 335d/13 f10M5

You have to wrap the wires in foil? This is a BMW. Glad I spent the extra for the Lux. 1 year plus and no issues. Foil is for Chipotle.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 01:29 PM   #69
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

we already fixed the slight issue, thanks for the suggestion guys
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2013, 07:22 PM   #70
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue 335i coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Sweat View Post
You have to wrap the wires in foil? This is a BMW. Glad I spent the extra for the Lux. 1 year plus and no issues. Foil is for Chipotle.
You're glad you spent $200+ more to avoid having to do a tiny bit of shielding or rewiring work? To each their own, I suppose.
      03-20-2013, 10:12 AM   #71
Sweattdogg
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 08 e90 M3/09 e90 335d/13 f10M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwells View Post
You're glad you spent $200+ more to avoid having to do a tiny bit of shielding or rewiring work? To each their own, I suppose.
Your sig says GP Thunders. So digging up a month old post to try stir the pot. Too each his own indeed troll.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2013, 12:05 PM   #72
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaron Sweat View Post
Your sig says GP Thunders. So digging up a month old post to try stir the pot. Too each his own indeed troll.
I had no intention of trolling, nor was I one the one who bumped the thread up. Sorry if what I said came across as harsh, I was just curious as I see a lot of other posts with a similar attitude. I don't think any of us here would ever dream of taking our cars to the dealership and paying exorbitant prices regardless of whether we can afford them - people like to avoid being ripped off and like to DIY for the most part. But for some reason that attitude doesn't apply for a lot of people to certain topics. Especially when it comes to things made in China, which is where the overwhelming majority of third-party parts come from, including those sold by vendors.

Oh, and I know my GP Thunders suck. I just wanted something to replace the yellow.
      07-04-2013, 06:21 PM   #73
blackturbo
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i

fantastic

gaifaun, please check your pm. I have 2 questions and you seem very knowledgeable.
Appreciate 0
      07-04-2013, 09:13 PM   #74
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dish View Post
I found e92-lighting.com after reading posts on this forum and so I placed my order for the DTEC H8 E92 M3 E90 M3 V2 20W angel eyes, waited for them to arrive and promptly installed them. After a few scraps I got them in and connected without any problem. However, after turning them on they both started to flicker (blink) within 2 minutes. I re-watched the youtube instruction video and triple checked my installation, checking all the cables, but still the flickering persisted.

I emailed e92-lighting but didn't get a response so the next day I called and was told a few interesting things: They have a new version and I received the old version, they don't make the product, I should send it back, and the manager will have to be consulted regarding the shipping cost of $13.99. Strange, if they have a new version why didn't they just send that to me in the first place? He was so quick to mention this, it gave the impression that it was a common problem. I only just ordered the bulbs on May 14th not even 2 weeks ago.

I didn't believe I had an old version, I thought the problem was 1 of 2 things. Based on some of the photos I've seen I thought possibly I was missing the resistors and needed them (I was told this wasn't the case -the newer version doesn't need the resistor *which means I don't have an old version). Or, I though, based on posts on this forum, that maybe I had gotten bulbs made from a bad batch of LEDs. After mentioning that, the person on the phone conceded that in all actuality, the problem was most likely that I may have a bad batch. Although he of course, couldn't be sure without checking them, that is until I mailed them back at my own expense. He was also sure to remind me again that they don't make the bulbs, they are just a reseller. Apparently being "just a reseller" absolves you of standing behind your product at least to the extent that one shouldn't assume or expect they will cover shipping cost for returning their bad or admittedly out dated product. Should I just return for a full refund or get a replacement (assuming this place is even upstanding enough to give a refund)? That depends...So far no one has called back or responded to my email asking for help.
If they're not willing to stand behind their sale and expect you to pay because they shipped you a defective product, just make a claim with your credit card company for a refund and call it a day.
      08-02-2013, 02:26 PM   #75
grizzle15
Rep
Drives: 2007 E90 335xi Sport

I have an 07 e90 335xi and i want to get angel eyes but I'm not sure which to get. Can anyone help me out on that?
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 10:37 PM   #76
tboudre
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 LeMans Blue 335xi E90 N55

So, I had been combing thru the forums trying to figure out what kinds of Angel Eyes H8 LED bulbs would work in my 2011 335xi. I ordered the Newsun because they were the highest power that I could find in blue, and the resistor boxes were larger and maybe wouldn't get as hot as reported by some other brands. As far as I could tell, most came with or sold separately, a 6 ohm resistor. 6 ohms is the resistance of the bulb. You would actually burn more energy with this setup, and generate a lot of heat. I set out to find if this resistor was really necessary. I bought a 20 ohm variable resistor & H8 connectors & hooked this up in place of the light. I initially set it to 6 ohms and then ramped it up to 21.5 ohms (as measured). I tried with driving lights on, and as DRLs. At the maximum resistance, I did not get an error. I measured current down to 0.1A. This means that you can use a resistor as high as 21.5 ohms and as low at 10 watts. I'm going to try a 50 ohm to see if that gives me an error. But at this level, if your LEDs draw 10 watts, you shouldn't need the resistor at all. I'll post some pictures when the bulbs come in on Monday.

BTW, these are the same 20W CREE LEDs as far as I can tell, but in blue.

Last edited by tboudre; 03-21-2014 at 08:49 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2014, 09:36 PM   #77
tboudre
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboudre View Post
I'll post some pictures when the bulbs come in on Monday.

BTW, these are the same 20W CREE LEDs as far as I can tell, but in blue.
Came from China, took almost a month, but just what I was looking for. The only place I could find the blue 20W was on Amazon...
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      04-08-2014, 11:23 AM   #78
Lotus99
Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 19 M2C & 18 X3 M40i

Not true... Just very hard to find because they're illegal.

Bimmian sells the WeissLicht brand angel eyes in red and blue.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 11:18 AM   #79
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Blue is a bad idea for the AE's - you will get pulled over for that when a cop see's it. I would recommend a white, amber, or adjustable color product instead since they are legal to use
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 12:36 PM   #80
dwells
ಠ_ಠ
United_States
Rep

Those angel eyes ruin what is an otherwise nice looking car.
      04-09-2014, 12:45 PM   #81
tboudre
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lotus99 View Post
Not true... Just very hard to find because they're illegal.

Bimmian sells the WeissLicht brand angel eyes in red and blue.
OK, so I could have gotten WeissLicht half the wattage for double the price.

BTW, I do intend to measure the voltage and current to verify the wattage of the Chinese special.
Appreciate 0
      04-09-2014, 12:50 PM   #82
tboudre
Private
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuxAngelEyes View Post
Blue is a bad idea for the AE's - you will get pulled over for that when a cop see's it. I would recommend a white, amber, or adjustable color product instead since they are legal to use
When the HID light are on, they really aren't that far off from the bluish xenon color. And with the headlights on, they're dimmer and less noticeable. As DRLs, they are very noticeable, but can be turned off. So, if I'm ever running moonshine, or otherwise don't want any trouble from John Q Law, I can turn them off.
Appreciate 0
      05-17-2014, 03:53 PM   #83
000SpikE000
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335 x-drive, M-Sport

I just got the DTEC V9.5's from E92 lighting (worked with Derrick) will do a picture review here shortly!
| E90 2011 BMW 335i xDrive | Le Mans Blue Metallic |Gray Dakota Leather | 6 Speed Manual |M Sport Package | Premium Package | Convenience Package | Cold Weather Package | Technology Package | Harmon Kardon Sound System | Black Anthracite Headliner | VMR V810 Gunmetal wheels | Golf Tee Mod | DTEC H8 Led Angel Eyes V9.5 |

Last edited by 000SpikE000; 05-17-2014 at 04:00 PM.. Reason: more details
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 07:46 AM   #84
tboudre
Private
United_States
Rep

You can now get CREE LEDs for the house at Home Depot. 100W, 60W, 40W, Daylight, Bright White, or Soft White. I got the Daylights to put outside my house. There's also spotlights & floodlights, indoor & outdoor.
2011 335i xDrive ///M-Sport LeMans Blue Navigation iDrive 15% Tint N55 E90 - BMS Intake, Le Mans Blue Grilles, Le Mans Blue Rear Diffuser, Alpina B3 TCU Flash, Misc Coding, Matte Black Badge, Gloss Black Exhaust Tips, Blue Calipers*, VRSF Charge Pipe*, Cyba Scoops*, JB4, Sport Oil Cooler Valve, FlexFuel Wires, GoFastBits DV+ - Approx E30 fuel mix
* Painted 7251 Cobalt Blue Metallic - Matches LeMans Blue
Appreciate 0
      06-23-2014, 03:56 PM   #85
LuxAngelEyes
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by tboudre View Post
You can now get CREE LEDs for the house at Home Depot. 100W, 60W, 40W, Daylight, Bright White, or Soft White. I got the Daylights to put outside my house. There's also spotlights & floodlights, indoor & outdoor.
Those are actually quite a bit different. The home depot products are made and manufactured by Cree, where as all the angel eye products only use Cree LED's and the assembly and manufacturing is done by other companies. the Cree LED Bulbs however are pretty awesome and they are all i use in my house
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 05:50 PM   #86
jerky969
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

These will be my next pair, after getting scammed by Derek @ e92lighting.
mtec v4's are junk for the $. They are poorly made,
problems I experienced include..
-They dont dim off together when you hit lock.
-One bulb is brighter then the other
-Poor after sale support from Derek.

Derek, if you are reading this.. don't bother contacting me. I will not delete this post. I deleted my older posts because you asked me to because you said you were going to replace my defective bulbs.
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2014, 07:44 PM   #87
E92-Lighting
United_States
Rep
Drives: Next Generation LED Lighting

Quote:
Originally Posted by jerky969 View Post
These will be my next pair, after getting scammed by Derek @ e92lighting.
mtec v4's are junk for the $. They are poorly made,
problems I experienced include..
-They dont dim off together when you hit lock.
-One bulb is brighter then the other
-Poor after sale support from Derek.

Derek, if you are reading this.. don't bother contacting me. I will not delete this post. I deleted my older posts because you asked me to because you said you were going to replace my defective bulbs.
we wont ask you to remove and/or delete this comment, because we need to tell the truth and not some falsified information, you have a very obvious "loose connection" issue that doesnt have any relationship to any of our LED angel eyes.

fact 1) you claimed our MTEC V4s are defective, it happens in any electrical components, so we believed you. upon further inspection of what was sent back to us, what you claimed to be defective was working and functioning perfectly fine, how does a defective component you claimed to be defective very mysteriously function perfectly and flawlessly?

loose connection, so we went ahead and sent an isolated MTEC V4's to you just to be safe and not have issues.

fact 2) same exact issue happened again with our Brand New replacement MTEC V4s, this further proves your Loose Connection issue which has no relationship with any of our products.

these are the facts, not falsified information, and here is some friendly advice to find your very Obvious loose connection issue, take a multi meter and check all terminals for 13 vdc roughly, especially with the good working side and then check the other headlight for differences in voltages, once you finally find your loose connection issue via voltage drop, which doesnt even relate to any of our products, then you wont have anymore issues.
changing to another Brand of any angel eyes, you will still have issues, that is

until you find your loose connection issue, and we went ahead and even stated how to find it, once you actually fix your loose connection issue, there will be no more issues with any angel eyes, your very obvious loose connection issue will prematurely overdrive/fail any angel eyes that are installed, it doesnt matter what brand.
Appreciate 0