F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior & interior) > F30 Non-Xenon Headlight LED RINGS - Prototype
ARMA SPEED

08-10-2013, 12:07 AM   #155
AdiSinghV12
First Lieutenant
India
Rep
Drives: 320d M-Sport, X1, 525d

PROPS from India for such a nice work! (Y) Can we have some more pics ?
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2013, 02:56 AM   #156
AdiSinghV12
First Lieutenant
India
Rep
Drives: 320d M-Sport, X1, 525d

(Y)
Appreciate 0
      11-05-2013, 12:53 PM   #157
Casualvic
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 328i xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Igor@ONEighty View Post
Ok guys, we have an update for you.

The rings themselves are developed and complete, they fit the housings perfect. We basically came up with 3 styles, but developed 2 different styles of rings. The first style of ring is a full height on both sides, the second style provides a slightly more aggressive look with one of the sides being half length. The second style also allows us to modify the ring to a 3rd version that looks like the DTM style headlight.

We're currently working on creating the lens for the LED's so it doesn't look cheap with the bare rings just slapped inside the headlight. The goal is to achieve the look of the LED headlights with the thick and wide ring lenses, so it looks as OEM as possible.

We're really trying to make this modification appealing not only to the Non-Xenon headlight owners, but to the Xenon owners as well. We strongly feel that the thick AE rings from the 6-Series (and new 5-Series) LED headlights are a lot more appealing than any other style of ring available on the market and we want to make that available for you guys.

Here's a lighting design concept we started with, and the result of the ring boards.

I'll keep you guys updated with any information and updates we have, along with the 3d designs of the ring housings we should have in a few weeks.

This diagram actually shows style 2 & 3, style 1 is the full ring you'll see in the picture below.

We're using 3528 SMD LED's, mounted as close as possible to each other to provide a solid and even light distribution.
What happened to making them look as stock as possible and not "cheap looking" the led bulbs grouped together has gaps in specific sites. Im not bad mouthing your hard work but would really love to have something that looks classy and clean.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 12:52 PM   #158
Thackers
Yorkshire Sniper
England
Rep
Drives: F30 320d Sport

Hi all,

I realise there has been a lot if discussion around retro fit kits.

Found this on Bimmian and wondered if anyone has fit one.

It looks impressive as they even do a 6000k option in pure white rather than the normal blue tint.

You can get DRL,headlights and fog lights all in the 6000k spec for £112 per set.

http://www.bimmian.co.uk/HID-Retrofi...W-F30-3-Series

Look pretty good

Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 01:55 PM   #159
v1k1ng01
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thackers View Post
Hi all,

It looks impressive as they even do a 6000k option in pure white rather than the normal blue tint.

You can get DRL,headlights and fog lights all in the 6000k spec for £112 per set.

Look pretty good
A word of advice, Xenon retrofits that do not replace or modify the stock housing from halogens may be illegal in some places, because they are not properly leveled and may blind oncoming drivers. This is something to consider if you deal with an annual inspection, or the cops where you live are dicks. I've also heard of xenon's damaging halogen housings because of excessive heat caused during use.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2013, 02:54 PM   #160
Thackers
Yorkshire Sniper
England
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k1ng01 View Post
A word of advice, Xenon retrofits that do not replace or modify the stock housing from halogens may be illegal in some places, because they are not properly leveled and may blind oncoming drivers. This is something to consider if you deal with an annual inspection, or the cops where you live are dicks. I've also heard of xenon's damaging halogen housings because of excessive heat caused during use.
Thanks for the warning..a little more research then.

Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 07:51 AM   #161
Alex@ONEighty
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 CZP 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by v1k1ng01 View Post
This is correct which is why we take certain precautions. We aim the projector accordingly, the aiming points are adjusted to the same specifications as if you have the OEM projector headlights on the F30.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 12:15 PM   #162
v1k1ng01
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 335i M-sport

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artem@ONEighty View Post
This is correct which is why we take certain precautions. We aim the projector accordingly, the aiming points are adjusted to the same specifications as if you have the OEM projector headlights on the F30.
Your retro fit looks as legit as it can get without replacing the housing. Great work indeed. Do you have any plans an doing something about the DTL housing left open from your product? It's a small detail but it's something folks consider when doing cosmetic mods.
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 01:51 PM   #163
Thackers
Yorkshire Sniper
England
Rep

BOOM!

Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 08:44 AM   #164
BMW3Doc
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 328i

2 questions

Hi all,

1) is auto leveling necessary to make Xenons legal or is it just nice to have?

2) Has anyone else had the Bixenon plus LED ring retrofit from 180 that would be willing to post some pics? It would be cool to see a head on pic of the retrofit during the daytime without the LEDs and Xenons on... i.e., to see what the hardware looks like when the car is parked and off.

Thanks
Appreciate 0
      05-24-2014, 08:59 AM   #165
speed608
Private First Class
Malawi
Rep
Drives: F30 320d

+1

It seems not very many people have opted to get this done , even though it seems like the only option available for cars with Halogen headlights.My only worry is how well does this aftermarket set up fair after a year or so down the line.Anyone who has had the 180 retrofit done please advise.

Thanks in Advance.
Appreciate 0
      11-06-2014, 09:03 PM   #166
BMWF3020122012
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW F30

The Size of F30 Non-projector halo ring

i just order a F30 Non-projector halo ring for my car to DIY. i don't know is it a correct size. can anyone help me? Small halo is 106mm, bigger halo is 120mm. i think it is a bit small for both, is it?
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 12:54 AM   #167
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 328i M-Sport

I've also been looking at different suppliers and it looks like the one you ordered off Ebay (seen that one too) have very similar/same dimensions. The bigger ring is same and smaller one is 1mm smaller.

I asked the supplier if this would fit an F30 since in the description it says "F30 style" but its meant for E90/E92/E93/M3. He assured me that it was designed for the F30, but it would also fit in those other BMW models as well.

For $30 it was worth just a try, but he said I would have to order in quantities of 10, which would push it to $300. I need one. I don't need 10. Plus shipping would be another $50 or so. I backed out. Unless there are 10 people here who want to each get one and split the shipping.

Sorry... but I think we hijacked the OP's thread ... oops
Attached Images

Appreciate 0
      01-07-2015, 07:55 PM   #168
casualDIYer
Major
Rep
Drives: 340i xDrive M Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thackers View Post
Hi all,

Look pretty good
I can vouch for Korean quality bulbs and HID ballast over Chinese made ones. The koreans often use Japanese components because they know they can trust the quality. That being said, this kit sticks an HID bulb into a reflector housing rather than a projector housing which may end up casting too much of the bulb's light forward. The problem isn't the kit, it's the housing. You can fit a projector to the housing but it's a lot of work. A google search reveals more details
Appreciate 0
      01-08-2015, 09:16 PM   #169
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidlyboy View Post
I've also been looking at different suppliers and it looks like the one you ordered off Ebay (seen that one too) have very similar/same dimensions. The bigger ring is same and smaller one is 1mm smaller.

I asked the supplier if this would fit an F30 since in the description it says "F30 style" but its meant for E90/E92/E93/M3. He assured me that it was designed for the F30, but it would also fit in those other BMW models as well.

For $30 it was worth just a try, but he said I would have to order in quantities of 10, which would push it to $300. I need one. I don't need 10. Plus shipping would be another $50 or so. I backed out. Unless there are 10 people here who want to each get one and split the shipping.

Sorry... but I think we hijacked the OP's thread ... oops
Let us know how it goes. I've heard about nothing but issues with the 180 LED's (being ODA or LEDs going out months after install)
      01-09-2015, 02:02 AM   #170
squidlyboy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Alpine White 328i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by smithe90 View Post
Let us know how it goes. I've heard about nothing but issues with the 180 LED's (being ODA or LEDs going out months after install)
I think I've changed my mind already...

I only started to look at a DIY Angel Eye retrofit because I wasn't willing to shell out $3000-$3500 for a new headlight assembly, but I was only gonna do it if 1) they were quality Ring LEDs that were going to last, and 2) they looked good. After studying these LEDs a little, they look far from good, and I guess their price is just a reflection of that. After all, there are a lot of inherent risks in breaking apart your housing (e.g. bad seal leading to moisture/fogging in headlights), and I can't be re-opening every month to replace the LEDs. For me, it would be a one-shot deal, so I would need to insure the LEDs were top-notch, looked OEM, and was a style I liked. The closest ones that fit that bill were the ones by oneighty nyc, but they are a bit pricey ($280), and they are currently out of them anyways.

Then I found the F30 thread yesterday about the company in AU - Mars Performance that's selling a pair of fully sealed new headlight assembly retrofit with Angel Eyes built-in already. The style of the Angel Eyes doesn't look quite as good as the oneighty nyc ones, but they somewhat stylish. And the cost for the pair is like $800!! So i'm sorta leaning in that direction now. Unfortunately, they are also out of stock, and plus they won't be returning to the office until next week, as the office is shut down currently for the holiday season.

Unless a better quality LED solution comes out that is quality/classy, reasonably priced, and has a style to my liking (e.g. audiblue18's custom hexagons), i'm probably going the Mars route.

Last edited by squidlyboy; 01-09-2015 at 02:07 AM..
Appreciate 0
      01-09-2015, 06:49 AM   #171
smithf80
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G80 M3 6MT

Garage List
2022 G20 330i  [9.00]
2018 F80 M3  [9.75]
Quote:
Originally Posted by squidlyboy View Post
I think I've changed my mind already...

I only started to look at a DIY Angel Eye retrofit because I wasn't willing to shell out $3000-$3500 for a new headlight assembly, but I was only gonna do it if 1) they were quality Ring LEDs that were going to last, and 2) they looked good. After studying these LEDs a little, they look far from good, and I guess their price is just a reflection of that. After all, there are a lot of inherent risks in breaking apart your housing (e.g. bad seal leading to moisture/fogging in headlights), and I can't be re-opening every month to replace the LEDs. For me, it would be a one-shot deal, so I would need to insure the LEDs were top-notch, looked OEM, and was a style I liked. The closest ones that fit that bill were the ones by oneighty nyc, but they are a bit pricey ($280), and they are currently out of them anyways.

Then I found the F30 thread yesterday about the company in AU - Mars Performance that's selling a pair of fully sealed new headlight assembly retrofit with Angel Eyes built-in already. The style of the Angel Eyes doesn't look quite as good as the oneighty nyc ones, but they somewhat stylish. And the cost for the pair is like $800!! So i'm sorta leaning in that direction now. Unfortunately, they are also out of stock, and plus they won't be returning to the office until next week, as the office is shut down currently for the holiday season.

Unless a better quality LED solution comes out that is quality/classy, reasonably priced, and has a style to my liking (e.g. audiblue18's custom hexagons), i'm probably going the Mars route.
Can't say I disagree with you. If you do get the MARS unit please do post a nice review, it seems that no one on the forums has them (or has posted a review)