E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > USA - Florida > Battery/Power issues

12-06-2011, 11:23 PM   #1
radicalfc
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328i

Exclamation Battery/Power issues

Okay. I'm new to the club. Just purchased a CPO 328i a little more than a month ago. All was fine until I came out the store yesterday and it wouldn't start. I got a jump and it started fine. (drove home) got up then next morning and it wouldn't start. Got it jumped and went to work. Assumed it was the battery so I went online an ordered a replacement battery to pick up onthe way home. Got a jump to leave work, picked up battery on the way home. Got home took out old battery (which still had a green light). Went to put in new battery and it is too big. BMW batter is 13.5" new battery is 15". Question - since battery is "green" does it need to be replaced. Its the original battery in a 2007. During the 2 day fiasco sometimes the lights came on, sometime the car was completely dead, sometimes the key would get stuck and it sounded like the car was continuing to try and start. weird. Any ideas on what the problem is and if it is the battery how do I find the correct size. btw - getting to an actual BMW dealership is about an hour drive each way. Please help.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 09:49 AM   #2
aj555
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW xDrive35i

Garage List
I had my battery replaced which isnt covered under CPO warranty. BMW charged me $200 for the correct battery which is what I found it for online. But then they charge an hour labor to register the battery to the car which you have to have done. So your looking at roughly around $300 through BMW, but if you can find a local shop that works on BMW they might be able to do it for a few bucks cheaper.

(Wife's Daily Driver) 2000 BMW 328ci E46 - less than 90k miles

(Gone) 2007 BMW 335i E90
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 10:02 AM   #3
JStang
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: FDB M3 CS

Quote:
Originally Posted by radicalfc View Post
Okay. I'm new to the club. Just purchased a CPO 328i a little more than a month ago. All was fine until I came out the store yesterday and it wouldn't start. I got a jump and it started fine. (drove home) got up then next morning and it wouldn't start. Got it jumped and went to work. Assumed it was the battery so I went online an ordered a replacement battery to pick up onthe way home. Got a jump to leave work, picked up battery on the way home. Got home took out old battery (which still had a green light). Went to put in new battery and it is too big. BMW batter is 13.5" new battery is 15". Question - since battery is "green" does it need to be replaced. Its the original battery in a 2007. During the 2 day fiasco sometimes the lights came on, sometime the car was completely dead, sometimes the key would get stuck and it sounded like the car was continuing to try and start. weird. Any ideas on what the problem is and if it is the battery how do I find the correct size. btw - getting to an actual BMW dealership is about an hour drive each way. Please help.
I just replaced mine a few months ago from an 07 as well. It's probably about time. Mine turned out to be a bad cell. Take it to an advanced auto and have them test it. I purchased my battery there as well and fit perfectly but make sure that you have your new battery programmed at the dealership. My dealer charged $100.00 to do it.
Appreciate 0
      12-07-2011, 12:00 PM   #4
Velocity26
Resident old fart
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i M-Sport

5 years is about all that you can get in Florida, consider yourself lucky.
Appreciate 0