E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > RB Turbo or Upgraded turbo question RE: Do yours leak oil?

11-22-2011, 09:05 PM   #309
sear
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syndicategt View Post
**3,000 mile report**

As I write this, I have zero smoke or loss of oil since (indicator has remained "full") my Rob Beck turbos were installed over the summer. To note, I'm also running a very unrestricted exhaust AR DP's + AE exhaust. I've been super anal about changing my oil every 3,000-5,000 miles. Hopefully those who have had issues was just a fuke or probably something else wrong with their car. Great work Rob! I know a lage batch were just sent out (Penn, Trevor, ect.) hope to hear from you soon.
Thanks for the longer term update
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 02:34 AM   #310
submarshall
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW X1 sDrive28i

I'm having an oil burning issue with my 08 135i after a DP install too!! I've been doing a lot of research and this is a little something that i have found that my fix ALL of our problems.

Oil Supply & Drainage
Journal Bearing Turbo

Journal-bearings function similarly to rod or crank bearings in an engine:
oil pressure is required to keep components separated. An oil restrictor is
generally not needed except for oil pressure-induced leakage.
The recommended oil feed for journal bearing turbochargers is -4AN or
hose/tubing with an ID of approximately 0.25”.
Be sure to use an oil filter that meets or exceeds the OEM specifications.
Ball Bearing Turbo
An oil restrictor is recommended for optimal performance with ball bearing
turbochargers. Oil pressure of 40 – 45 psi at maximum engine speed is
recommended to prevent damage to the turbocharger’s internals. In order to
achieve this pressure, a restrictor with a 0.040” orifice will normally suffice,
but you should always verify the oil pressure entering the turbo after the restrictor in insure that the components are functioning properly.
Recommended oil feed is -3AN or -4AN line or hose/tubing with a similar ID.
As always, use an oil filter that meets or exceeds the OEM specifications.
OIL LEAKAGE SHOULD NOT OCCUR ON A PROPERLY FUNCTIONING
SYSTEM IF RESTRICTOR IS NOT USED UNLESS THE SYSTEM
PRESSURE IS EXCESSIVELY HIGH.
Oil Drain
In general, the larger the oil drain, the better. However, a -10AN is typically
sufficient for proper oil drainage, but try not to have an inner diameter smaller
than the drain hole in the housing as this will likely cause the oil to back up
in the center housing. Speaking of oil backing up in the center housing, a
gravity feed needs to be just that! The oil outlet should follow the direction of gravity +/-35° when installed in the vehicle on level ground. If a gravity feed is not possible, a scavenge pump should be used to insure that oil flows freely away from the center housing.
Avoid:
• Undulations in the line or extended lengths parallel to the ground
• Draining into oil pan below oil level
• Dead heading into a component behind the oil pan
• Area behind the oil pan (windage tray window) where oil sling
occurs from crankshaft When installing your turbocharger, insure that the turbocharger axis of rotation is parallel to the level ground within +/- 15°. This means that the oil inlet/outlet should be within 15° of being perpendicular to level ground.
Water Lines
Water cooling is a key design feature for improved durability and we recommend that if your turbo has an allowance for water-cooling, hook up the water lines. Water cooling eliminates the destructive occurrence of oil coking by utilizing the Thermal Siphon Effect to reduce the Peak Heat Soak Back Temperature on the turbine side after shut-down.
In order to get the greatest benefit from your water-cooling system, avoid
undulations in the water lines to maximize the Thermal Siphon Effect.

Common Causes of Oil Leakage
A properly installed turbo should NOT leak oil.
There are, however, instances where oil leaks occur. The most
common causes, depending on the location of the leak, are:
Leakage from compressor and turbine seals
- Excessively high oil pressure
- Inadequate drain – drain is too small, does not go
continuously downhill, drain is below the oil level in the pan
or the location of the drain inside the
oil pan is located in a section that has oil slung from the
crank causing oil to back up in drain tube. Always place
oil drain into oil pan in a location that oil from crank is
blocked by windage tray.
- Improper venting of crankcase pressure.
- Excessive crankcase pressure.
- Oil drain rotated past the recommended 35°.
Leakage from compressor seal
Excessive pressure across the compressor housing inlet caused
by:
- Air filter is too small.
- Charge air tubing too small or has too many bends
between the air filter and compressor housing .
- Clogged air filter.
Leakage from Turbine seal
- Collapsed turbine piston ring from excessive EGT’s.
- Turbo tilted back on its axis past recommended 15°.

Tell me what you think guys!!
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 03:44 AM   #311
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

what kind of turbo upgrade do you have?
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 05:56 AM   #312
submarshall
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

They are stock. I was told the turbos needs some backpressure on them to not leak oil due to the high oil pressure on the n54. Not sure if that is exactly true... it makes sense though.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 06:04 AM   #313
enrita
Major General
Sweden
Rep
Drives: 335i - Big turbos

Quote:
Originally Posted by submarshall View Post
They are stock. I was told the turbos needs some backpressure on them to not leak oil due to the high oil pressure on the n54. Not sure if that is exactly true... it makes sense though.
stock turbos work fine as designed by BMW in relation to oil. this thread is about upgraded turbos.
07 335i AT - MOTIV 750 - MHD E85 BMS flash - BMS PI - JB4G5 - Okada Coils - NGK 5992 Plugs - Helix IC - Snow Stg. 3 - Stett CP - Custom midpipes with 100 HJS Cats - Bastuck Quad - PSS10 - QUAIFE LSD - BMS OCC - Forge DVs - AR OC - ALCON BBK - M3 Chassi - Dinan CP - Velocity M rear Toe arms - Advan RZ-DF - LUX H8 - Level 10 AT upgrade
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 06:12 AM   #314
submarshall
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

I understand this forum is for "Upgraded Turbos", but i thought i would share what I found with everyone in this forum to see if it fixes there problem.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 06:18 AM   #315
submarshall
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Also, a lot of people with stock turbos are having the same issues with going catless. BMW's design with the turbos is fine until you change the amount of backpressure by eliminating all cats. Just trying to troubleshoot because i refuse to believe my turbos are toast after 9,500 miles.
Appreciate 0
      03-09-2012, 07:48 AM   #316
dzenno
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives:

Its easy to inspect turbos...just drop the downpipes and wiggle the turbine wheel...if there is in/out play they're done
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 01:01 AM   #317
Adam Way
Private
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335 Xi

My RB turbos are running strong with 15k miles on them. Awesome power! Let's keep this thread on topic if possible. Please start a new thread if you want to discuss stock turbos or some other unrelated matter.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 01:16 AM   #318
themyst
Major General
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '16 MK7 GTI

Spoke to Rob Beck before ordering these and it seems:

1. Stop running Oil Catch Cans, although he appears to endorse the BMS OCC.
2. run standard 5W-30 weight motor oil
3. the later revisions are with oil plugs in the holes to keep the seal during assembly.
      03-15-2012, 10:05 AM   #319
Syndicategt
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Ran my RB's for nearly 10,000 miles. Not a puff of smoke or burned a drop of oil.

Dzenno - PM me if you can.
2008 BMW 335i e90 - Sold - Rob Beck Turbos / PROcede V5 / Aquamist HFS-4 / AR Downpipes / AE Exhaust / ER Comp FMIC / ER CP / TiAL BOV / Custom Intake / RPI Scoops / Quaife LSD / Swift-Koni Coilovers / DSS HS / Morr VS8.2 Sig Black / Michelin PSS / P3 Boost Guage / M3 body / M3 steering wheel / Adam's Rotors / Hawk HPS / SS lines /
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 11:48 AM   #320
335TWNTURBO
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 335i

Quote:
Ran my RB's for nearly 10,000 miles. Not a puff of smoke or burned a drop of oil.

Dzenno - PM me if you can.
Why are you selling your car?
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2012, 01:27 PM   #321
Andy1991
Perfect
Rep
Drives: Gonna be the fastest N54 xi AT

Quote:
**3,000 mile report**

As I write this, I have zero smoke or loss of oil since (indicator has remained "full") my Rob Beck turbos were installed over the summer. To note, I'm also running a very unrestricted exhaust AR DP's + AE exhaust. I've been super anal about changing my oil every 3,000-5,000 miles. Hopefully those who have had issues was just a fuke or probably something else wrong with their car. Great work Rob! I know a lage batch were just sent out (Penn, Trevor, ect.) hope to hear from you soon.
what kind of oil are you running?
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 12:14 AM   #322
san34mic7
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Fix for upgraded stage 2 pure turbos

Quote:
I understand this forum is for "Upgraded Turbos", but i thought i would share what I found with everyone in this forum to see if it fixes there problem.
The problem is the oil ring gaskets on return turbo feed lines. My gasket only lasted 20 k had to upgrade the turbos still in process. But fix the front turbo now the back but I am replacing and upgrading all the lines. I had shause motor sport do it and the mechanic stated I had to upgrade well . I found out they never replaced them they left the old ones in because they fried before 20k miles. 2 years with the leak. If you engine is not leaking well it is off it is not cracked so f what people say I've already discovered it. This is do to a bad auddi shop never take your bmw here they ripped my warrant off and me because I was getting it for free they charged 25 k to replace all gaskets injectors but they only changed turbos injectors gasket oil and spark plugs the coolant lines the oil lines never got replaced and stuck surfercating with oil smoke because they want 1200 to replace an oil ring!!!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2024, 12:22 AM   #323
san34mic7
Registered
Rep
Drives: Bmw

Fix for upgraded stage 2 pure turbos

Quote:
The problem is the oil ring gaskets on return turbo feed lines. My gasket only lasted 20 k had to upgrade the turbos still in process. But fix the front turbo now the back but I am replacing and upgrading all the lines. I had shause motor sport do it and the mechanic stated I had to upgrade well . I found out they never replaced them they left the old ones in because they fried before 20k miles. 2 years with the leak. If you engine is not leaking well it is off it is not cracked so f what people say I've already discovered it. This is do to a bad auddi shop never take your bmw here they ripped my warrant off and me because I was getting it for free they charged 25 k to replace all gaskets injectors but they only changed turbos injectors gasket oil and spark plugs the coolant lines the oil lines never got replaced and stuck surfercating with oil smoke because they want 1200 to replace an oil ring!!!
Appreciate 0