F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Can anyone tell me what the blue roundel stands for?
ARMA SPEED

01-11-2010, 08:11 AM   #1
kenboy
Rep
Drives: 2001 BMW 330CI

Can anyone tell me what the blue roundel stands for?

Can anyone tell me what the blue roundel stands for?

Updated with answer:

"It turns out that not even BMW's spokespeople know that its Roundel emblem wasn't inspired by a spinning propeller. It's a common misconception, one that's finally been cleared up by BMW spokesman Tom Plucinsky, who explained that the company used to think its recognizable logo was tied to its aeronautical history. Plucinsky's colleague Dave Buchko had initially told the The New York Times that the logo was intended as a stylized image of a spinning propeller before being corrected by Anne Schmidt-Possiwal of the BMW Museum in Munich. To his credit, Buchko did correct the error himself once the real story came to light.

So what's the real origin? It turns out the blue-and-white logo was used in a 1929 ad that placed roundels in the rotating propellers of an airplane. It's easy to see where the confusion came from. The blue and white quadrants at the heart of the logo are actually intended to signify the state colors of Bavaria, and this isn't the first time the logo's origin has been examined in detail – historians have traced the logo's evolution from the Rapp Motorenwerke all the way through today."
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 08:16 AM   #2
McLuVan
Lieutenant General
Vietnam
Rep
Drives: ///M3

at first people thought the roundel was an airplane propeller since bmw built aircraft early in
but later bmw said the roundel is simply the barvian flag
      01-11-2010, 08:17 AM   #3
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

Numerous sources including "Roundel Magazine" have said the alternating blue and white quarter circles are a symbolic representation of a spinning propeller. BMW was known for it's aircraft engines in the earlier days of aviation through WWII.

Others dispute this, but it is the most commonly circulated explanation. Oh yes, there is the Bavarian flag interpretation as well.
      01-11-2010, 08:25 AM   #4
Genro757
///M-Flight VP
United_States
Rep
Drives: '13 Frozen Red Edition E92 M3

Garage List
2013 E92 M3  [0.00]
This answer was given to me during the Regensburg factory tour (where they make the M3 coupe and sedan, 3 series coupe and sedan, and 1 series sedan)...the blue and white are the Bavarian State colors...the round shape represents turning propellers in air craft...where BMW first started making engines
      01-11-2010, 08:58 AM   #5
IND-Distribution
BimmerPost Supporting Vendor
United_States
Rep

Drives: G80 M3 / G82 M4

This was BMW's old logo in the early 1900's.
      01-11-2010, 09:18 AM   #6
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by McLuVan View Post
at first people thought the roundel was an airplane propeller since bmw built aircraft early in
but later bmw said the roundel is simply the barvian flag
That's right. Have a look at this blog article of the New York Times: http://www.leftlanenews/living-a-lie...propeller.html

Quote:
In last Sunday’s Automobiles section, I wrote about visiting a quartet of German car museums. At the BMW Museum in Munich, my affable tour guide, Anne Schmidt-Possiwal, explained that the blue-and-white company logo did not represent a spinning propeller, but was meant to show the colors of the Free State of Bavaria.
The Wikipedia entry on BMW's history confirms this: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_BMW#BMW_logo

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 09:23 AM   #7
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ilia@IND View Post

This was BMW's old logo in the early 1900's.
According to the above quoted Wikipedia article, the trademark on the BMW roundel was registered on Dec 10th 1917. The picture you posted was firstly used in an ad campaign in 1929. So, this was a new interpretation, but not the initial motive.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 09:24 AM   #8
jaglacs
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2011 M1

Quoted from Autoblog.com

"It turns out that not even BMW's spokespeople know that its Roundel emblem wasn't inspired by a spinning propeller. It's a common misconception, one that's finally been cleared up by BMW spokesman Tom Plucinsky, who explained that the company used to think its recognizable logo was tied to its aeronautical history. Plucinsky's colleague Dave Buchko had initially told the The New York Times that the logo was intended as a stylized image of a spinning propeller before being corrected by Anne Schmidt-Possiwal of the BMW Museum in Munich. To his credit, Buchko did correct the error himself once the real story came to light.

So what's the real origin? It turns out the blue-and-white logo was used in a 1929 ad that placed roundels in the rotating propellers of an airplane. It's easy to see where the confusion came from. The blue and white quadrants at the heart of the logo are actually intended to signify the state colors of Bavaria, and this isn't the first time the logo's origin has been examined in detail – historians have traced the logo's evolution from the Rapp Motorenwerke all the way through today."
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 09:29 AM   #9
foosh
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E93

History is an imprecise discipline, at best, and over time it is constantly revised. What is said today may not have represented what was said over various eras at the company.

There is no question that the company was completely preoccupied with aircraft engines in WWI and WWII, but, of course, today there are compelling geo-political reasons for today's BMW to distance itself from that era. Among other things, the BMW aircraft engines in WWII were built primarily with slave labor from the concentration camps. Of course, the U.S. Capitol Building was also built primarily with slave labor.

I could envision a BMW management 50 years from now going back to the explanation that it represents a "spinning propeller in the colors of Bavaria" to honor it's earliest roots.
      01-11-2010, 01:21 PM   #10
mkoesel
United_States
Rep
Drives: No BMW for now

The Roundel is actually widely believed to be a special type of crosshair for aiming douche-nuggets arbitrarily at passers by. It is a sort of like a BMW "scent gland" that tells other drivers to be aware that a potential jack ass is in the area, and that they should be hostile and rude for no other apparent reason.
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 05:31 PM   #11
3s-a-charm
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 Tesla Model X

Garage List
2007 BMW X5  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkoesel View Post
The Roundel is actually widely believed to be a special type of crosshair for aiming douche-nuggets arbitrarily at passers by. It is a sort of like a BMW "scent gland" that tells other drivers to be aware that a potential jack ass is in the area, and that they should be hostile and rude for no other apparent reason.

Still, I get the flag thing but why is it round? Usually everything within a logo signifies something. Perhaps it's round for the propellers but the blue/white is for the flag?
      01-11-2010, 05:50 PM   #12
Sidh135i
BMW Technician
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

I always wanted to know the origin of the roundel, thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      01-11-2010, 05:51 PM   #13
dimabimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

Propeller against Blue Sky....other than that I could care less
      01-11-2010, 08:41 PM   #14
Georgeair
Captain
Rep
Drives: '08 Melbourne E92 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by foosh View Post
There is no question that the company was completely preoccupied with aircraft engines in WWI and WWII, but, of course, today there are compelling geo-political reasons for today's BMW to distance itself from that era.
BINGO!

Not to mention, the politically insensitvity of the supposed in-your-face message of a propeller symbol immediately post-war when they were prohibited from aircraft manufacture.