E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Transmission And Transfer Case Flush??

09-20-2012, 06:34 PM   #1
gm325xi
Private
Rep
Drives: 325XI

Transmission And Transfer Case Flush??

My 06 325xi has 55,000 miles on it and i want to have the transmission and transfer case flushed. Am i better off taking it to the deaker or to an indy shop? And if i take it to a dealer do you know how much that would run me??
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 07:05 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

A lot more

You should call and get some quotes.
Is it and automatic those are quite expensive .
If its a manual have them replace with redline D6.
It will smooth out your shifts.
A dealer is likely to tell you you don't need it due to the lifetime
fluid policy.
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2012, 07:51 PM   #3
fun2drive
BMWCCA 149159
United_States
Rep
Drives: 13 128i Vert/ 14 JGC Diesel

Your transfer case holds only 0.6L of a special BMW only fluid so it is very important to change that one not flush you pull the fill plug first then the drain plug. A simple transfer pump allows you to refill the case which will actually only hold .5L. It is sold in a 1L container so you can do two changes.
I would just drain the transmission and pull the pan, refill and do so again in 30K miles for both transfer case and transmission.
Don't forget the diffs either as the front one is only 0.6L too. Drain and refill.

Who should do it?
Up to you because none of these are hard to do but the dealer will charge full retail on the labor and parts (fluids) while an indy will charge much less.
To find a good indy go to BMWCCA and see what chapter is in your area and call one of the main members like the president and ask for their advice as to who is a good BMW wrench...
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 08:52 AM   #4
gm325xi
Private
Rep

thanks for the advice, only thing is i was under my car and took a look at my transmission and the fill plug is in an odd place,its actually towards the top of my trans. and im not sure if i want to toy with it, so i will most likely take it to a shop for that. as for the transfer case and diffs, i will most likely take care of them as they sound really easy. Thank you!
Appreciate 0
      09-22-2012, 08:55 AM   #5
gm325xi
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
You should call and get some quotes.
Is it and automatic those are quite expensive .
If its a manual have them replace with redline D6.
It will smooth out your shifts.
A dealer is likely to tell you you don't need it due to the lifetime
fluid policy.
Ctuna, it is the automatic transmission, and i believe what you said. That lifetime fluid policy is garbage though because at 55,000 miles my car is rough shifting from 2nd gear to 1st.If the dealer wants too much id rather take it to a good indy shop.
Appreciate 0