F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Confused between a BMW and Mercedes
Studio RSR

01-20-2011, 08:37 AM   #1
BMW747
Registered
Rep
Drives: Hyundai Accent

Smile Confused between a BMW and Mercedes

Hi there, I'm new to this forum and I'm also new to buying cars (about to purchase my first one!).

Anyway, perhaps someone can help me out in making a decision on what my purchase should be. My budget is not too large, so I'm thinking about buying either a BMW 1 (possibly the couple edition) or a Mercedes B160 (the new facelift model).

And pros and cons? The price is somewhat close, and I like the BMW design more, while the Mercedes brand seems more respected in the area I live in. In either case, performance is not an issue - I just want a good looking reliable car that can turn a few heads

Thanks! Hopefully I can learn some new stuff about cars in this forum
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 12:13 AM   #2
pmeloche
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i

First, welcome to the forum. Second, you probably meant the 1 Series Coupe. Anyway, I am not sure you should buy a car over another because it's more respected in your neighbourhood. My advice would be to look at your needs and taste and buy the one that pleases you the most.

Good luck.

Patrice
2013 F25 X3 xDrive35i Vermillion Red
Appreciate 0
      01-21-2011, 05:05 PM   #3
Straight6r
Private
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW 135I Msport

I would go with the BMW. I don't really like the B-Class as they remind me more of a crossover then a car. Plus the Merc is front wheel drive which to me has no place on a premium vehicle.
Appreciate 0
      01-22-2011, 12:12 PM   #4
ianbiz
Back in a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Msport

If you dont care about performance and want to turn heads and impress people, buy a mercedes or audi.
      01-22-2011, 11:47 PM   #5
e85sbm
Snow Wizard
Canada
Rep
Drives: F10 & E89

Great to see you are looking for feedback and opinions, but on a BMW forum, you will get a lot of love for that particular brand.

The best advice anyone can give is:
  • Test Drive both cars in the trim you would buy
  • Find the options YOU want
  • Follow your heart...it is always right
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 12:10 AM   #6
-c-
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

lol like the one guy said, go for the inbetween car and get an S5 or something, their hot and a two door like the 1 series......still debating that car man it doesnt photograph all to well but when its rolling down the street its pure #$%.

otherwise go with the BMW, out of the mercs my freinds have had they brake allllll the time and personally their just behind the times as far as design goes still a bit weired unless you get the brand new 2011 ones.

to me the car class goes like this= when i say perfomance I mean handling and control, luxury i mean ride comfort and amenities.

BMW = performance first, luxury comes second.

Mercedes = luxury first, performance comes second.

Audi = in the middle but does neither as well as the other, unless your talking interiors Audi kicks #$% in interiors and spanks the compition hands down. especially in the human interface department.

the mercs can drive fast in a strait line but are a bear to corner in

have you sat in the new A8 it drags the new 7 series up and down the street, the finest interior i have had the pleasure to sit in.

Funny thing is mercedes and bmw have had a long long war with eachother and never bothered to see Audi sneeking past them, their on their way to be supream!

also has anybody seen the new A7, its stunning in person best front end yet.... well still not as good as an R8 but then again what is.
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 02:57 AM   #7
Kloogy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 Sport

Garage List
I don't know. When I got rid of my E92 for my X5 I looked at Audi. To say they can drag a BMW up and down is pretty ridiculous. If you're impressed by LED daytime running lights, maybe. When I sat in my 2011 X5 Sport , I forgot all about the Audi's I had looked at.
2004 Mustang GT Vert. - Modded
Appreciate 0
      01-23-2011, 09:48 AM   #8
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I don't know about the new B-class model, but I recently drove the new A-class... and it was terrible. Very dissapointing. Nothing like a C-class. And the A was down right scarry in the snow. I could hardly believe it was a FWD car. My 135i with snows ate it alive in deep snow.

I think a nice Golf VI just kills the MB is design and performance. But I still would not give up my BMW to any VAG product.

The main thing that turns me off with the A and B class is their van like - seating position. The 1er coupe is a sports car. That is something you can not say of the BM products listed above.

Dackel
Appreciate 0