M5POST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   M5POST - BMW M5 Forum > F10 M5 Forum > Navigation, iDrive, Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Phone, Coding

12-07-2013, 10:44 PM   #1
cashsosa
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2014 M5 CP / 2011 X5 5.0 Dinan

Adding Subs To 2014 B&O Problems??

Last week I finally got my 2014 M5 CP that I had ordered. Immediately I took it to my local shop here in Las Vegas that specializes in high end vehicles and whom I’ve used for years. While finalizing the tint, clear bra, painted grille, etc. I decided to just say “f it” and go a bit further than I typically do. I ordered the vehicle with the B&O system and while I found the system remarkably “clear” and bright, it lacked the low end bass that frankly was superior in my current 2011 X5 5.0 with the HK system and my old 2011 750i. Since I was already writing a check, I figured we should throw in a couple of JL Audio W3’s to the mix and proceed thouroghly with my early mid-life crisis. The guys at the shop fabricated a custom bandpass box which was ported through the trunk (ski through pass). They paired the two subs to an Alpine MRV-M500 amp with a stealthily hidden gain control in the compartment under the steering column.

When I came back to take delivery, I was told that in order to install the subs and amp they were forced to disable the “Active Sound” feature (recorded engine track piped into the sound system for auditory sensation since the car’s cabin is so quiet). As lame of a concept as this appeared to me prior, the lack of Active Sound is quite noticeable and does in fact diminish the overall driving sensation to me unless you spend more $$ and throw on an exhaust or remove resonators etc.

Well as disappointing as this was to me, the actual sound of the subs was worse. Essentially, they disabled the 8” subs underneath the seat and apparently used that channel to feed the new subwoofers. Well when tuning the EQ from the iDrive interface I found that as if I had a presence of mid range the actual subs would produce the higher frequency tone as well. Regardless of reducing the “high pass filter” on the actual amp, the subs are still producing too high of a frequency. Now if I go into the EQ and effectively cancel out the midrange frequency’s the subs sound better since they aren’t being asked to reproduce a frequency they shouldn’t be. But this leaves me with an absurd mix of high frequency’s and sub frequency’s. Essentially I have a retarded sounding stero that sounds like it’s completely vacant of mids.

After speaking to my guys at the shop, they are going to look into an amp with more control, try to re activate the 8” subs under the seat, and look for another signal to tap in order to run the subs off of. Additionally, we’re trying to figure out how we can safely restore the “Active Sound” feature since they had stated they experienced issues with this before.

I’m hoping that someone out there has successfully been able to simply add an amp and subs while maintaining the integrity of the B&O system and Active Sound. After all this irritation I’m ready to simply bite the bullet and keep it stock like perhaps I should have…

Please shoot over any suggestions and I’ll be sure to get some photos of the mods and hopefully a successful stereo install at some point.
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 02:33 AM   #2
utmiken
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 M5

You will have to disable active sound through coding. Contact V12 or Shawn Sheridan on the board if you are not familiar with coding
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 02:36 AM   #3
jmh
Internet Crash Test Dummy
United_States
Rep
Drives: F97 X3MC / F80 M3 / F90 M5

There's no need to disable ASD in order to get a sub to work, also there's no need to disable the under seat subwoofers. In fact I'd think it actually will take away from the overall sound experience.
The best solution would be to add the amp to the subwoofer out (or full range out) and be able to control the lows via a remote knob or the like.

I have some info on my upgrade at http://f10.m5post.com/forums/showthr...=789195&page=2

The B&O system is using a very overequalized setting and after I upgraded my system we ended up
with the following settings :

15 F10 M5 Individual / Brilliant White / Extended/Full Cohiba Brown (Exec/Driver/B&O/20") / A few Euro add-ons / Stealth K40 / Upgraded B&O / ///M Performance Carbon Interior Trim / IND / Akrapovic Evolution Exhaust / HRE S107
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2013, 09:57 AM   #4
Spinny02
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 M5 CP Dinan Stage 2

Garage List
JL makes good subs. You will get more volume/db out of the w3's but the W3's may be a step down from B&O stock as far a quality of sound/tightness. w6s should be on par but require more space. How did they disable active sound without coding? Thats odd. Better external EQ should help.

I hope you get this worked out and get the sound that you are looking for!

Keep us posted.

Last edited by Spinny02; 12-09-2013 at 07:40 AM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2017, 09:47 AM   #5
MuffinFlavored
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 F10 M5 MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spinny02 View Post
JL makes good subs. You will get more volume/db out of the w3's but the W3's may be a step down from B&O stock as far a quality of sound/tightness. w6s should be on par but require more space. How did they disable active sound without coding? Thats odd. Better external EQ should help.

I hope you get this worked out and get the sound that you are looking for!

Keep us posted.
There's some kind of bypass you can plug in in the trunk... I think.

I know this is four years old, but... any updates?
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2017, 10:46 AM   #6
Mcc420
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: G80 M3CX

Garage List
2023 g80x  [0.00]
  [0.00]
This work for me. http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/sho...d.php?t=531940
Appreciate 0