E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Vishnu Charge Pipe Issue - Need Help!

10-13-2014, 04:10 PM   #1
Chris_Rav
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 LCI 335i xdrive 6MT

Vishnu Charge Pipe Issue - Need Help!

Hey, so I finally got around to installing my Vishnu Charge pipe last night after picking it up "used" from another member. This morning I installed the JB4 and went to do some high boost pulls to make sure the pipe didn't pop off completely. All was well until I got home and stopped in front of my house, with my car in neutral the idle dropped and the car died.. I thought this was very strange so I started it up again and it seemed to be okay, I reved the engine to 2k rpms and as soon as I let off the gas the rpms dropped below 500 and the engine died again. So I opened up the engine bay and I see a meth bung (with blocking bolt) completely missing from my charge pipe. I guess the 3-4 pulls I did made the bung completely pop off so now I have a hole in my charge pipe. I will attempt to attach a picture but can anyone help me out here? I can't really tell if the hole is threaded but does anyone know what size bolt this should be ? Idk what to do with the car. I might throw some tape over the hole until I can find a bolt but I leave for school tomorrow and don't want my car to die on me on the 2 hour drive, especially if I hit traffic. Is it dangerous for the engine to run the car without the bolt in there? It seemed as though it was still building some good boost on Map 1 of my jb4 and it only seemed to be dying off up over ~5700rpms. Please any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Also has anyone else ever seen 3 bungs on a charge pipe ? I'm confused as to why there are 3 bolts / bungs. Didn't think much of it as im not planning on running meth in the near future but something seems off now
Attached Images

10-13-2014, 04:45 PM   #2
Schmidty335i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i PS2 turbo FBO JB4

i dont think if that were my car i would want to drive it around like that. if i were you just for a temp fix. go buy a coupler from autozone that is the same size as your pipe then pull out the other meth bung put the coupler over both holes and clamp down. shouldnt loose any boost. but i would only use that until you can get a new bung welded in or a new pipe.

hope you get it figured out man.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 04:53 PM   #3
335NJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 335i 6MT E90

I would get that hole plugged with any threaded plug ASAP to eliminate a boost leak. I'm just trying to figure out how the hell it popped out like that unless it was barely in to begin with. 3 meth bungs is a bit excessive, 2 is even a bit much depending on nozzle size.

Make sure you tap in the threads before just cranking a plug so it seals nicely, and use JB weld or something on the threads to ensure it doesn't have any leak to it, obviously remove the pipe prior to doing this. Keep in mind if you use JB weld you'll most likely never get that plug out.

I've never seen a Vishnu CP in person, but that bung looks homemade as opposed to the plugged welded ones you see on other brands.
      10-13-2014, 04:59 PM   #4
Dan_Q
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F80 M3, F15 X5 50i

Garage List
2018 M3  [9.50]
2015 X5 xDrive50i  [10.00]
Why don't you just change back to the stock charge pipe and then you can figure out what is going on with that one without worry of having the car die on you.

I also don't know what that particular charge pipe is supposed to look like but the bungs look homemade. Most have a bung welded in place that is threaded. That just looks like a hole drilled through the wall of the pipe. Good luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 05:13 PM   #5
Chris_Rav
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty335i View Post
i dont think if that were my car i would want to drive it around like that. if i were you just for a temp fix. go buy a coupler from autozone that is the same size as your pipe then pull out the other meth bung put the coupler over both holes and clamp down. shouldnt loose any boost. but i would only use that until you can get a new bung welded in or a new pipe.

hope you get it figured out man.
Do you think you could send me a link / picture of the type of coupler you are talking about?
      10-13-2014, 05:15 PM   #6
Chris_Rav
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan_Q View Post
Why don't you just change back to the stock charge pipe and then you can figure out what is going on with that one without worry of having the car die on you.

I also don't know what that particular charge pipe is supposed to look like but the bungs look homemade. Most have a bung welded in place that is threaded. That just looks like a hole drilled through the wall of the pipe. Good luck.
The stock chargepipe got trashed when trying to remove it, broke right at the weld like everyone fears, couldn't believe how easily it broke actually.
      10-13-2014, 05:22 PM   #7
Chris_Rav
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 335NJ View Post
I would get that hole plugged with any threaded plug ASAP to eliminate a boost leak. I'm just trying to figure out how the hell it popped out like that unless it was barely in to begin with. 3 meth bungs is a bit excessive, 2 is even a bit much depending on nozzle size.

Make sure you tap in the threads before just cranking a plug so it seals nicely, and use JB weld or something on the threads to ensure it doesn't have any leak to it, obviously remove the pipe prior to doing this. Keep in mind if you use JB weld you'll most likely never get that plug out.

I've never seen a Vishnu CP in person, but that bung looks homemade as opposed to the plugged welded ones you see on other brands.
I believe that the Vishnu meth bungs are just threaded on because on their website they sell the bungs seperatley and say all that is needed to DIY is a drill and tap.. I'm just having difficulty finding a bolt to fit it.
      10-13-2014, 05:28 PM   #8
Schmidty335i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Rav View Post
Do you think you could send me a link / picture of the type of coupler you are talking about?
something like this should work.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=862378_0_0_

just make sure it is the same diamater as your charge pipe. which is probably 3". but double check and like i said i wouldnt use this as a permanent fix but it should work for awhile until you figure out something.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 06:07 PM   #9
Chris_Rav
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
something like this should work.

http://www.autozone.com/autozone/acc...er=862378_0_0_

just make sure it is the same diamater as your charge pipe. which is probably 3". but double check and like i said i wouldnt use this as a permanent fix but it should work for awhile until you figure out something.
that seems like a pretty good idea, but the other meth bung that is horizontal to it might get in the way of that coupler. unless i took the other bung out also?
      10-13-2014, 06:15 PM   #10
Schmidty335i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
that seems like a pretty good idea, but the other meth bung that is horizontal to it might get in the way of that coupler. unless i took the other bung out also?
yeah i would take the other one out and put the coupler on until you can figure out how to get it fixed for good. besides looking kinda wierd i bet you wont have any problems even if you left it like that for awhile. should hold good as long as you tighten the clamps down good.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 06:33 PM   #11
Chris_Rav
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
yeah i would take the other one out and put the coupler on until you can figure out how to get it fixed for good. besides looking kinda wierd i bet you wont have any problems even if you left it like that for awhile. should hold good as long as you tighten the clamps down good.
I might try that if an autozone has it near me. I'm just afraid to take the other one out and end up with 2 holes instead of one lol
      10-13-2014, 06:44 PM   #12
Schmidty335i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I might try that if an autozone has it near me. I'm just afraid to take the other one out and end up with 2 holes instead of one lol
honestly from the pictures they dont look welded they look like they are just screwed in. I bet you anything that the last person who owned it did it themselves I really doubt that they would come from Vishnu like that. I would take it to a welding shop and see if they could weld you in some permanent bungs and you would be good to go! At this point also if you have one hole what would two hurt? don’t really think this will be a big issue though if you can just get something welded in.

just a question though do the other ones look like they are screwed in? if you look inside the pipe there isn’t a nut or anything holding them in is there?
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 06:48 PM   #13
Chris_Rav
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
honestly from the pictures they dont look welded they look like they are just screwed in. I bet you anything that the last person who owned it did it themselves I really doubt that they would come from Vishnu like that. I would take it to a welding shop and see if they could weld you in some permanent bungs and you would be good to go! At this point also if you have one hole what would two hurt? don’t really think this will be a big issue though if you can just get something welded in.

just a question though do the other ones look like they are screwed in? if you look inside the pipe there isn’t a nut or anything holding them in is there?
From what I remember they all appeared to be screwed in, if you take a look at vishnu's site you can see on the last picture that the meth bungs that they sell have threads at the bottom which are supposed to be tapped into the pipe.

http://www.procedetuning.com/BMW/n55...ipe/cpipe.html
      10-13-2014, 06:56 PM   #14
Schmidty335i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
From what I remember they all appeared to be screwed in, if you take a look at vishnu's site you can see on the last picture that the meth bungs that they sell have threads at the bottom which are supposed to be tapped into the pipe.

http://www.procedetuning.com/BMW/n55...ipe/cpipe.html
huh, i stand corrected... iam kinda suprised they dont at least have a spot weld on them to hold them in. but maybe they make them so you can pull them out and replace them. iam no charge pipe expert by any means so i wont question their design, im sure there is a reason for it. well good news is if they do just screw in you could pull the other one out for now, order another one and then install them both again. maybe put a little loctite on the treads to keep it from coming out again.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 07:05 PM   #15
Chris_Rav
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
huh, i stand corrected... iam kinda suprised they dont at least have a spot weld on them to hold them in. but maybe they make them so you can pull them out and replace them. iam no charge pipe expert by any means so i wont question their design, im sure there is a reason for it. well good news is if they do just screw in you could pull the other one out for now, order another one and then install them both again. maybe put a little loctite on the treads to keep it from coming out again.
I'm surprised also, but i never game it much thought after today, You would think that the boost would be pulling in on the meth bungs not trying to push them out but that's just me lol
      10-13-2014, 08:24 PM   #16
Schmidty335i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I'm surprised also, but i never game it much thought after today, You would think that the boost would be pulling in on the meth bungs not trying to push them out but that's just me lol
no acutally boost is doing the exact opposite it is creating positive pressure then when your piston goes down it jams all that compressed air into the cylinder. basically your engine is sucking air and your turbo is blasting a bunch of extra air into the cyclinder. the more psi you have the more air your pushing into your engine. all that pressure is the reason you get couplers poping off if you dont clamp them down enough. and could be the reason you lost one bungs. maybe it was loose and you built up enough pressure to blow it out. if you are intrested in exactly how a FI engine works i would suggest "how stuff works" it actually skims over it pretty well and keeps it in simple easy to understand terms.
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 10:16 PM   #17
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
you can try a rubber freeze plug, that should help you out a bit
Appreciate 0
      10-13-2014, 11:05 PM   #18
Chris_Rav
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkPOTO View Post
you can try a rubber freeze plug, that should help you out a bit
Do you think it could with stand the boost?
      10-14-2014, 08:28 AM   #19
mkPOTO
Mr. Nice Says Hello
Rep
Drives: BMW M3 | X5 xdrive 35i MSport

Garage List
Quote:
Do you think it could with stand the boost?
its worth a try, they are used for older model cars and coolant and heaters, so if they can withstand that then I think you will be fine.
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 10:26 AM   #20
Chris_Rav
Lieutenant
Rep

I threw duct tape over the hole just so I could make it to work today and everything seemed okay, well it definitely wasn't running like normal but the only time I stalled was when reversing. I could tell that the idle was slightly lower then normal but I think it is drive able in this condition
      10-14-2014, 11:22 AM   #21
tke344
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: f15 X5 50i

you probably need a 1/8 NPT bung and some JB weld.

I'd measure the hold but something like this would probably work.. plus a 1/8 NPT plug

forgot the link. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Summit-Racin...-/191341309829

Last edited by tke344; 10-14-2014 at 11:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 11:31 AM   #22
Jeff@TopGearSolutions
United_States
Rep
Drives: C6 Z06, 09 335i, 10 335xi

I don't know if it's 1/8th because they are aquamist bungs which are not 1/8th. But you should be able to go to home depot and get a brass plug that should fit the orifice.

I got a brass plug at home depot back in the day when I plugged up a standard 1/8th bung hole.
Appreciate 0