E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > Vishnu Charge Pipe Issue - Need Help!

10-14-2014, 12:09 PM   #23
Chris_Rav
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 e92 LCI 335i xdrive 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jeff@TopGearSolutions View Post
I don't know if it's 1/8th because they are aquamist bungs which are not 1/8th. But you should be able to go to home depot and get a brass plug that should fit the orifice.

I got a brass plug at home depot back in the day when I plugged up a standard 1/8th bung hole.
I think my plan will be to drive it to school with the ghetto duct tape patch and take it to the university machine shop where they will have the right tools to figure out what size plug I need and go from there.
      10-14-2014, 12:13 PM   #24
Chris_Rav
Lieutenant
Rep

Actually the seller just got back to me and said that the holes were tapped from Vishnu with 1/8 NPT, I guess I will be on the hunt for either a 1/8 NPT bolt for now to plug it up pretty good or ill be waiting until I can get a replacement meth bung in that size.
      10-14-2014, 02:44 PM   #25
Jsoboti
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 335i E92 M-Sport 6MT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Rav
Actually the seller just got back to me and said that the holes were tapped from Vishnu with 1/8 NPT, I guess I will be on the hunt for either a 1/8 NPT bolt for now to plug it up pretty good or ill be waiting until I can get a replacement meth bung in that size.
This really isn't a big deal as I think some people here are making it out to be. Duct tape is a bad idea because with the heat inside the engine will cause the glue on the duct tape to stick to your charge pipe and it will be a mess.

Pretty simple fix with the 1/8th plugs. Just make sure you get some appropriate rubber washers or O rings so you can be sure you have an air tight seal. IMHO the coupler idea was probably the fastest and easiest solution.
JB4 G5 ISO FF | BMS Performance Intake | BMS Wheel Spacers | VRSF Catless DP | Red CYBA Scoops | Supreme Power Lowering Perches | VRSF Charge Pipe | VMR 810 19x8.5 ET35 19x9.5 ET33 | Michelin PSS 235/265 | BMS CDV | BMS Clutch Stop | 4'' Tips
Appreciate 0
      10-14-2014, 04:26 PM   #26
Chris_Rav
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jsoboti View Post
This really isn't a big deal as I think some people here are making it out to be. Duct tape is a bad idea because with the heat inside the engine will cause the glue on the duct tape to stick to your charge pipe and it will be a mess.

Pretty simple fix with the 1/8th plugs. Just make sure you get some appropriate rubber washers or O rings so you can be sure you have an air tight seal. IMHO the coupler idea was probably the fastest and easiest solution.
I don't believe the pipe would fit in there with the coupler on there, if you look in the pics it might be hard to tell but the pipe is really in a tight spot
      10-15-2014, 08:29 AM   #27
Chris_Rav
Lieutenant
Rep

So I attempted to create a coupler to plug up the holes, yes holes. I took out the second meth bung to attempt to find the right size bolt to plug up the hole and now the second meth bung won't screw back in either. The bung appears to have just been held in place with some loctite because the hole is clearly bigger then the meth bung to the point where it just sits in it and I can pull it out by hand. So I made a coupler to cover up the holes and as I thought all was good the car still ran like shit. Idk what to do with it now, brought the car to BMW to let them figure it out / fix it. We shall see I guess.
      10-16-2014, 12:17 PM   #28
Chris_Rav
Lieutenant
Rep

Brought the car to BMW, they said they couldn't figure out what the problem is with the car and that they test drove it and couldn't find any issues. They said they could try to upgrade the DME but there's no guarentee it would help anything and since I'm under CPO warranty that it would cost roughly $300 to get it done. Does that seem right to you? I thought for sure the DME would be under warranty if my car was running like shit.

But I'm going to pick up the car soon and I'm gonna see how it runs
      10-16-2014, 12:28 PM   #29
Schmidty335i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i PS2 turbo FBO JB4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Rav View Post
Brought the car to BMW, they said they couldn't figure out what the problem is with the car and that they test drove it and couldn't find any issues. They said they could try to upgrade the DME but there's no guarentee it would help anything and since I'm under CPO warranty that it would cost roughly $300 to get it done. Does that seem right to you? I thought for sure the DME would be under warranty if my car was running like shit.

But I'm going to pick up the car soon and I'm gonna see how it runs
This is really strange... you said you didnt have any problems with the car until you installed this intake and found out that one of the bungs was missing, correct? it seems really wierd to me that they bmw dealership couldnt figure out wat was wrong with it.

what exactly is the car running like? is it rough at idle, on a load, high rpms? now that you have the coupler on, just to reset maybe anything wierd have you tried to unhook the battery for a little bit? i would think that the dealership would have done this but i would do it just to be sure.

sorry to hear about your car running shitty. i hope you get it figured out and its nothing big.
Appreciate 0
      10-17-2014, 11:28 PM   #30
Chris_Rav
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty335i View Post
This is really strange... you said you didnt have any problems with the car until you installed this intake and found out that one of the bungs was missing, correct? it seems really wierd to me that they bmw dealership couldnt figure out wat was wrong with it.

what exactly is the car running like? is it rough at idle, on a load, high rpms? now that you have the coupler on, just to reset maybe anything wierd have you tried to unhook the battery for a little bit? i would think that the dealership would have done this but i would do it just to be sure.

sorry to hear about your car running shitty. i hope you get it figured out and its nothing big.
Well I got the car back and I drove it today and I've had no problems. The idle was really jumpy and would just cut out and die. The car would stall when in reverse or when going up even a slight hill. But now that its back to normal my only guess is that maybe the sensor on the charge pipe registered that something was wrong when there were the holes in the pipe and basically would shut off the car to prevent any damage. I'm thinking maybe after the DME sat for a while and the car wasn't started for a couple hours that the sensor might've reset itself and realized that it was okay now that the hole was plugged? I'm dumbfounded
      10-18-2014, 03:06 AM   #31
Schmidty335i
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i PS2 turbo FBO JB4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris_Rav View Post
Well I got the car back and I drove it today and I've had no problems. The idle was really jumpy and would just cut out and die. The car would stall when in reverse or when going up even a slight hill. But now that its back to normal my only guess is that maybe the sensor on the charge pipe registered that something was wrong when there were the holes in the pipe and basically would shut off the car to prevent any damage. I'm thinking maybe after the DME sat for a while and the car wasn't started for a couple hours that the sensor might've reset itself and realized that it was okay now that the hole was plugged? I'm dumbfounded
yeah that sounds like it might be the case... car just had to realize it was all fixed up hope it keep running good for ya man, its nice to hear your not having issues anymore!
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2014, 12:50 PM   #32
Chris_Rav
Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schmidty335i View Post
yeah that sounds like it might be the case... car just had to realize it was all fixed up hope it keep running good for ya man, its nice to hear your not having issues anymore!
Thanks a lot man