F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Door Auto-Close on my Thumb. Ouch.
Extreme Powerhouse

06-09-2014, 07:58 PM   #1
Longboarder
Major General
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW i8

Garage List
Door Auto-Close on my Thumb. Ouch.

My X5 has the auto-close function which is kinda cool until you get one of your fingers in there.

I was outside the car and my 4-year old jumped in the driver's seat and then pulled the door semi-closed on my thumb. Not a big deal until auto-close engaged and crushed my thumb. Blood spurted out between the nail and made a nice crack sound like it broke a ligament/tendens. WTF I thought it wasn't supposed to close if there is resistance.

Can't move my thumb (happened a day ago). Just taped it up but may have to visit the doc.

So just be careful if you have the auto-close function on your BMW.
Attached Images

IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 2
      06-09-2014, 08:35 PM   #2
tinman831
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

From the DIY Soft Close Door thread

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=close

Quote:
Originally Posted by h4nh View Post
I hope you are trolling or this sounds so retarded. It doesn't close itself If something is obstructing the door. I've had this on my 750 and m5. You would have to be retarded or purposely try to pinch yourself with soft close doors.

That looks real painful OP.
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 08:53 PM   #3
five3three
Major
Rep
Drives: m2c

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder View Post
My X5 has the auto-close function which is kinda cool until you get one of your fingers in there.

I was outside the car and my 4-year old jumped in the driver's seat and then pulled the door semi-closed on my thumb. Not a big deal until auto-close engaged and crushed my thumb. Blood spurted out between the nail and made a nice crack sound like it broke a ligament/tendens. WTF I thought it wasn't supposed to close if there is resistance.

Can't move my thumb (happened a day ago). Just taped it up but may have to visit the doc.

That's just plain nasty.

I do feel your pain though, literally. I did the same a couple of weeks ago by slamming a rental car door on my thumb. It looked just like yours except the blood was trapped and couldnt get out (which is a bad thing).

The next day my thumb started to swell up and was throbbing (barely able to move it) and I went to the Urgent Care where they put a small hole in my nail to let the blood drain out. Oh, in the process I also fractured the tip of my thumb too but that has to heal on its own.

2 weeks later and the hole is now closed up and I am playing the waiting game for the nail to grow and push out the nastiness beneath it, which it has slowly started to do. The fracture is still a little painful but nothing intolerable.

Hopefully you didn't damage it to where the nail has to fall off to regrow. I guess that's the silver lining for me that I escaped that part.

If it is any consolation, I will be counting the days, weeks and months until I have a normal looking finger again as I am sure you will too.

I feel your pain, unfortunately!

I was going to upload an equally painful photo but figured one was enough. The fun diagnoses:

Name:  20140609_215644.jpg
Views: 4578
Size:  31.3 KB

Last edited by five3three; 06-09-2014 at 09:20 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-09-2014, 08:53 PM   #4
ShocknAwe
1Addict
Rep
Drives: E82 Mutt, M57 Truck

Figure-8 tape that shit. If the nail is not swelling do the following: Anchor end of strip of tape on one side of your thumb (bone near your wrist is ideal), loop up over and down and across the pad, then back up over the joint and secure on the other side. wrap a strip of tape around the thumb on the far side of the joint, then another strip at the tails of the first piece of tape. This will secure and stabilize the joint.

Hope that made sense, feel free to message me if you need help.

If the nail is swelling you need to relieve the pressure ASAP. ER or Urgent care for that typically.
      06-10-2014, 11:43 AM   #5
Longboarder
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinman831 View Post
From the DIY Soft Close Door thread

http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthr...ighlight=close

That looks real painful OP.
Haha thanks for the link. There goes the speculation that it will not close if something is obstructing it! Cause it certainly closed on my thumb!

I wonder if the soft-close function can be disabled. I don't care about me...but what if that happens to my son. I don't think his little fingers could hold up as well as mine. I just sent a message to BMW USA about this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by five3three View Post
That's just plain nasty.

I do feel your pain though, literally. I did the same a couple of weeks ago by slamming a rental car door on my thumb. It looked just like yours except the blood was trapped and couldnt get out (which is a bad thing).

The next day my thumb started to swell up and was throbbing (barely able to move it) and I went to the Urgent Care where they put a small hole in my nail to let the blood drain out. Oh, in the process I also fractured the tip of my thumb too but that has to heal on its own.

2 weeks later and the hole is now closed up and I am playing the waiting game for the nail to grow and push out the nastiness beneath it, which it has slowly started to do. The fracture is still a little painful but nothing intolerable.

Hopefully you didn't damage it to where the nail has to fall off to regrow. I guess that's the silver lining for me that I escaped that part.

If it is any consolation, I will be counting the days, weeks and months until I have a normal looking finger again as I am sure you will too.

I feel your pain, unfortunately!

I was going to upload an equally painful photo but figured one was enough. The fun diagnoses:

Attachment 1041156
Wow sorry to hear. But thanks I think between your post and the post below I should go to the ER and get the blood drained so my nail doesn't fall off.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShocknAwe View Post
Figure-8 tape that shit. If the nail is not swelling do the following: Anchor end of strip of tape on one side of your thumb (bone near your wrist is ideal), loop up over and down and across the pad, then back up over the joint and secure on the other side. wrap a strip of tape around the thumb on the far side of the joint, then another strip at the tails of the first piece of tape. This will secure and stabilize the joint.

Hope that made sense, feel free to message me if you need help.

If the nail is swelling you need to relieve the pressure ASAP. ER or Urgent care for that typically.
Thanks for the info! I used your figure 8 method and it worked nicely...was able to sleep through the night. I'm now able to move the joint so maybe nothing is busted.
IG: longboarder949; YouTube: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCT1...eoFBszPIK0gf9w
Appreciate 0
      06-10-2014, 08:21 PM   #6
drunkenup
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2009 135i, 2021 F150

My 2002 S430 had soft-close and it would not stop if it encountered any resistance, the good thing was that it was vacuum operated and was a lot slower and less forceful than electric powered soft close doors. Hope you feel better soon! I'm sorry to hear it did that!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 04:13 AM   #7
baseking
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 BMW M3 e92 AW/FR DCT

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
I wonder if that's a potential lawsuit... If the manual states that it's supposed to detect obstructions and stop auto-close, I would think BMW would be on the hook, might be a potential recall issue as well. For one they should definitely cover your medical expenses.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 03:30 PM   #8
DDD31
Captain
Rep
Drives: 24 M3CS, 95 E320, 85 300CD

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseking View Post
I wonder if that's a potential lawsuit... If the manual states that it's supposed to detect obstructions and stop auto-close, I would think BMW would be on the hook, might be a potential recall issue as well. For one they should definitely cover your medical expenses.
Yep lets sue the crap out of everyone for a freak accident. Why not claim emotional anguish from every time you see someone close a car door while you're at it. Geesh, the last thing on my mind in this situation would be to call out the lawyers.

To the OP, sorry for your accident and I wish you a speedy recovery

Last edited by DDD31; 05-01-2016 at 03:36 PM..
Appreciate 1
      05-01-2016, 03:32 PM   #9
Dackelone
European Editor
Germany
Rep
Drives: N54 e82

I know a guy who was working on a new RR's with softclose doors... he forgot about that feature when the door closed onto his hand crushing it. The door crushed/broke three of his fingers. OUCH!
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 03:59 PM   #10
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD31 View Post
Yep lets sue the crap out of everyone for a freak accident. Why not claim emotional anguish from every time you see someone close a car door while you're at it. Geesh, the last thing on my mind in this situation would be to call out the lawyers.

To the OP, sorry for your accident and I wish you a speedy recovery
Check OP date...

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      05-01-2016, 04:07 PM   #11
DDD31
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Check OP date...
Arggghhh so a guy bumps a 2 year old thread to tell the OP to sue
I really need to pay closer attention to post dates.
Appreciate 3
      05-01-2016, 04:30 PM   #12
Longboarder
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD31
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium View Post
Check OP date...
Arggghhh so a guy bumps a 2 year old thread to tell the OP to sue
I really need to pay closer attention to post dates.
Actually I did sue and won a multi-million settlement against BMW and am advising everyone to accidentally close their soft close door on their fingers, hands, toes, whatever and you can get rich too!

jk
Appreciate 4
      05-01-2016, 05:49 PM   #13
DDD31
Captain
Rep

Quote:
Actually I did sue and won a multi-million settlement against BMW and am advising everyone to accidentally close their soft close door on their fingers, hands, toes, whatever and you can get rich too!

jk
Awesome!!! I'm going out right now to "accidentally" have my soft close doors soft close on some extremity (probably should keep genitalia clear though).
Appreciate 0
      05-02-2016, 02:46 AM   #14
Jason954x
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 435i xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder

And this is why BMW disabled all the cool features on US spec cars. All it takes is ONE.
Appreciate 1
      05-02-2016, 02:56 AM   #15
M235iguy
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 M235ix

ouch
      05-02-2016, 01:44 PM   #16
Longboarder
Major General
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason954x
Quote:
Originally Posted by Longboarder

And this is why BMW disabled all the cool features on US spec cars. All it takes is ONE.
What cool features did they disable because of people's broken hands and fingers?
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2016, 01:35 AM   #17
Nkc
NOOB
Canada
Rep
Drives: Cars

Quote:
Originally Posted by baseking View Post
Seriously. What makes you bring up a 2 year old thread?
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 05:06 PM   #18
baseking
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
diy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nkc View Post
Seriously. What makes you bring up a 2 year old thread?
http://www.m3post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=918858

This thread was on the top of DIY the other week, got the link to this one from there. Some things are relevant for years, no shame in doing some grave digging.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 05:15 PM   #19
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:

jk
You give me an idea for my new project

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      05-04-2016, 06:17 PM   #20
baseking
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2010 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by DDD31 View Post
Look man, all I was saying is that if it's supposed to detect resistance and stop it's not doing it's job properly. It could be a kid just putting their hand on the door and let's say someone almost closes the door for whatever reason - that's not a freak accident. It's all about fixing the problem if there is one so it can't happen in the future, not about getting filthy rich from suing BMW like OP did .

It's the same principle that applies to automatic windows - with the manual ones you could stop immediately, the automatic ones need sensors to do that. This could be the difference between having a girlfriend with one or two arms .

I for one am completely dissuaded to try and do the DIY for the soft-close on the M3, just because of this accident mentioned in that thread.
Appreciate 1
      05-05-2016, 02:38 AM   #21
Longboarder
Major General
Rep

Garage List
^ ^ hey I didn't get rich by suing BMW. I never sued BMW over this nor did I once ever think of suing BMW. I got rich the normal way by selling drugs to kids, stealing money from old people, participating in government corruption, etc. See? I'm a good person.
Appreciate 0
      05-05-2016, 03:54 AM   #22
sp1tfire
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F10 535i

been there, even somewhat worse! be well!
Appreciate 0