E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > HELP!!! DIY for Starter Wanted ('07 e92)

06-27-2013, 11:39 AM   #1
abcim335i
Rep
Drives: 335i

Exclamation HELP!!! DIY for Starter Wanted ('07 e92)

Hello Guys,
I purchased this beautiful '07 335i coupe a few months ago and had been running great. However, a month ago or so, it started to have the yellow half engine light on and off, so I thought it might be the HPFP failure. Checked with the dealer and my vehicle's vin showed it should be fine, never took it to check if it really is the HPFP problem though.
Nevertheless, something worse... a week ago, my beauty was still running great and two nights in my garage and suddenly the car just does not start at all. The battery should be good since it was replaced about half a year ago, jump started and all looked fine but the engine just won't crank. Searched tons in the forum with no luck so got it towed to the dealership... Just found out it is the starter issue. Sadly, it costs over $1200 to replace it and I really can't afford that right now plus the starter parts itself costs less than $100.
Therefore, I thought about a few options,
1) Ordering the parts online and replace it myself. (Cheapest but hardest)
2) Find/purchase extended warranty and see how much I could save. (Not likely)
3) Trade in my car and downgrade/upgrade. (I absolutely don't want to)
I searched around for the past 2 hours and found out a few resources regarding DIYs on starters. If anyone does it before, could you help me out on this PLEASE?
Obviously I would definitely want to do option 1), since it's the cheapest option and most ideal.
Could all the pros out there teach me (who never done anything harder than replacing spark plugs on a Camry) pleassssssse!?!
Where could I get the parts for starters? Would this one work fine for e92?
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...SIN=B0031HY06O
Any other parts I will need and where could I get them?
Detail tutorial that could guide me for replacing the starter?
If no luck on the DIYs, any suggestions on extended warranty?
Thank you SOOOOOO much for taking your time reading or even responding!!!
I greatly appreciate any comments, thoughts, helps!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-27-2013, 08:58 PM   #2
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Have you asked around indy shops?

Its probably a 10 hour task from what I've read for first time DIYers to replace the starter. It requires removing the intake manifold.
Appreciate 0
      06-28-2013, 07:50 AM   #3
abcim335i
Rep
Drives: 335i

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTECaddict View Post
Have you asked around indy shops?

Its probably a 10 hour task from what I've read for first time DIYers to replace the starter. It requires removing the intake manifold.
Thanks so much for the comment!!!
I didn't really ask around since none were nice enough to teach me anything just told me to have them do it. My concern isn't the time, just if the task is doable and if a complete clueless guy like me could do the job.
The car is still in the dealership right now.
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2013, 11:02 AM   #4
F31cruisin
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 330i

Did you ever get the DIY guide on this? I have a feeling my started is about to crap out.
Appreciate 0
      10-21-2013, 02:51 PM   #5
Fortyb
M-GAM3
Rep
Drives: 2016 SO M3

Bump!
      10-26-2013, 11:19 AM   #6
ngacleetus
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

(I assume this is still needed due to the bump)

I can tell you it is very tedious and quite frankly a pain in the ass. Took me about 7-8 hours. There are like a million hoses that connect to the intake and they are nearly impossible to access. I've been a DIY'er on every vehicle I've ever owned, and after tearing into this I longed for my e46 back. The oil seperator hoses are prone to breaking and about $65 bucks to replace if you break one (which I did). The starter itself is really simple, but getting to it tried my patience and left me threatening to get rid of the car.
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 12:50 PM   #7
phat8186
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: G20 M340i F30 EBII E92 AW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ngacleetus View Post
(I assume this is still needed due to the bump)

I can tell you it is very tedious and quite frankly a pain in the ass. Took me about 7-8 hours. There are like a million hoses that connect to the intake and they are nearly impossible to access. I've been a DIY'er on every vehicle I've ever owned, and after tearing into this I longed for my e46 back. The oil seperator hoses are prone to breaking and about $65 bucks to replace if you break one (which I did). The starter itself is really simple, but getting to it tried my patience and left me threatening to get rid of the car.
Dam if that doesn't scare a diy I don't know what will
Appreciate 0
      10-27-2013, 06:24 PM   #8
ngacleetus
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i

Haha. I wasn't trying to scare anyone away from it. But in my experience most starters can be changed in minutes to a couple hours tops. This one took me almost all day to get to and is a real pain in the ass. Definitely worth it over paying 1200 bucks at the stealership, but plan accordingly.
Appreciate 0
      10-29-2013, 03:11 PM   #9
McAuley7
@McAuley7
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Garage List
2010 335i  [9.00]
Lol find a friend mechanic I was gonna get mine changed for $400
Appreciate 0