E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > Regional Forums > Canada > Body shops and some concerns

08-23-2012, 11:28 PM   #1
BillyAnna
Registered
Rep
Drives: BMW 2007 328i convertible

Exclamation Body shops and some concerns

I serviced my car at BMW. It's out of warranty now and I'm looking for an option to service somewhere else. Can you trust body shops? I was told they can replace parts on your car you wouldn't even know til something goes wrong... Is that possible and can it be detected?
How can you protect integrity of your car if you need to service it at randomly selected shop?
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 09:40 AM   #2
Kbimmer
First Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 335i M-Sport

Welcome to the forums !

Are you looking for a body shop or a mechanic for usual maintenance ?

I haven't needed a body shop, but I'm sure many people here can point you to some good ones

Regarding mechanics for usual maintenance (or new mods, etc...), here is some people that seems trustworthy in the community:

Ivo @ Columbus Auto
Rocco @ RMP Motors

I personally have used both and no complaints so far.

I also change my oil at Bimmex in Markhan, never done nothing major with them, but so far I can't complain about the service.
'97 328i Black on Black - SOLD
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 10:41 AM   #3
shaginwagon13
Chartered Accountant
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillyAnna View Post
I serviced my car at BMW. It's out of warranty now and I'm looking for an option to service somewhere else. Can you trust body shops? I was told they can replace parts on your car you wouldn't even know til something goes wrong... Is that possible and can it be detected?
How can you protect integrity of your car if you need to service it at randomly selected shop?
I have used the same mechanic for years and years now and if you find one that has reasonable prices and good work stay with him and you start to build a report with him.

If you want to jump around and find a guy who you like, you could always ask him to keep to OEM parts he is taking out so you can see them. For example if your adding aftermarket downpipes, tell him beforehand you want him that you want the OEM ones after he takes them off to sell.

Both my uncles and grandfather were Master Mechanics and owned their own shop. AS SOON as I drop that line, whether I am talking to a BMW mechanic or independent one, they don't screw around. You will even notice they speak to you differently... they assume you know what your talking about.
Appreciate 0
      08-24-2012, 11:29 PM   #4
Bimmer.335i.
Private First Class
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i 6MT

Garage List
2007 BMW335i  [0.00]
i know a good body shop. Good guy too. Shoot me a pm if you need info