E90Post

Extreme Powerhouse

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing / Warranty > How expensive can a normal maintenance for 2007 BMW 335i be?

09-25-2011, 06:40 AM   #1
ucosta
Unique
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i e92

How expensive can a normal maintenance for 2007 BMW 335i be?

First of all i apologize for asking this question that prolly someone has already made, but i do not have time lately to do some investigation. It is 6:37am and i've been awake since 5am studying.

I deeply appreciate your help.

I recently bought a 2007 E92(Coupe) BMW 335i and am aware that the maintenance will cost more than my older car, the Mazda Rx-8. I would like to know what is on a normal maintenance, and how much that may cost from a BMW Service or non BMW service like firestone for instance.

I know there is the turbo, oil change, wiper blades, exhaust, but what more specifically?

Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 08:41 AM   #2
Brian_TII
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 e90 330i 6spd

Well... Normal scheduled maintenance isnt all that bad... Probably pretty similar to the rx8. Where it will get stupid expensive is if things break. Turbos are somewhat common issues on the 07's so that could be potential prooblem at some point. Also minor stuff is just really expensive, especially if you go to the dealer. My advice would be to learn to work on it yourself and save TONS. Comparing costs toan RX8.... Considering rx8's tend to need motors pretty often and burn more fuel... I'd say long term the 335 might cost less even. The rx8 has a ton of common problems that will likely re occur... BMW at least revises parts so you probably won't have to replace the same part twice.

Regarding what it costs... Oil change is scheduled every 15k miles or so and usually around 100 bux from the dealer. Some people recommend doing it more often. I personally think 7k - 10k is good.

Every two years brake fluid should be flushed 100 bux or so.

Cabin filter is 50 and is so easy you should DIY

Battery should last 4 or 5 years but is about 300 or for the dealer to replace it. The car does need to be "told" when the battery is replaced. You can buy the cable and software or you can pay the dealer or a shop that has it. Just make sure it gets done.

Air filter not sure of cost... But again DIY can't be more than 50

Transmission fluid should be replaced probably every 50 or 60k even though BMW says it's life time fluid. Auto is 300 - 400 to replace. Manual is probably 150 ish depending on what replacement fluid you use.

Diff fluid can probably go 100k miles... And should be similar in costs to the manual trans change... Maybe a little less.

Coolant is best replaced every 2 years... Not to exceed 5 years (IMHO) Dealer is probably a 150 - 200... Guessing. If you DIY it's a 20 dollar jug of BMW blue coolant distiller water and an hour or two of your time.

Power steering is a good idea to have replaced in the 60k or so range... Again probably 150 bux guessing.

Like I said overall as long as nothing breaks its probably similar or better than the rx8... However some people have lots of issues and others don't.... Just depends on your luck

Last edited by Brian_TII; 09-25-2011 at 08:46 AM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 06:37 PM   #3
samchoi604
Colonel
Rep
Drives: black on black

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=583282
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 07:52 PM   #4
123Britt
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 15 M235i AT

Enjoy The Ride

THE N54 --- Well actually Most all modern day BMW's are NOT for the average JOE. I love the car and actually enjoy maintaining the basics myself. My 335i is CPO and it has really paid to have bought her that way. As far as cost go --
I do follow the "old school MM schedule" -- but I do change the oil every 5k with the cheapest LL01 oil I can find - but do try to stick with the same brand by buying in quantity. I like OEM filters both oil and air. Again I like OEM for the MTranny oil -- changed at 50K. I am looking at changing the diff oil but the lack of a drain plug does bite. SO -- don't look at maint as a burden -- I love the prospect of buying stuff on Tischer / ECS / Turnner / BAVAUTO. My new front brake set-up from ECS is on the way and I can't wait till I hear the squeal of the UPS man.

SO -- LEARN TO LOVE THIS CAR AND THIS TYPE OF STUFF OR THE WORLD OF BMW MAY JUST NOT BE FOR YOU.
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 08:25 PM   #5
Glim
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i & 2013 X5 35i

See here first if you want to DIY here is the list:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1721

Maintenance schedule:
http://blog.bavauto.com/9906/bavaria...nce-schedules/

Scan tool:
http://www.bavariantechnic.com/

If you want to code lights on/off or change any car codes:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=587012

Last edited by Glim; 09-25-2011 at 11:13 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-25-2011, 08:48 PM   #6
rollinstone157
Brotographer
United_States
Rep
Drives: F30 335xi

This x10000. If you want to keep your BMW in tip-top shape, follow this maintenance, and do as much of it as you can yourself.

Last edited by rollinstone157; 09-25-2011 at 09:05 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 03:41 AM   #7
ucosta
Unique
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brian_TII View Post
Well... Normal scheduled maintenance isnt all that bad... Probably pretty similar to the rx8. Where it will get stupid expensive is if things break. Turbos are somewhat common issues on the 07's so that could be potential prooblem at some point. Also minor stuff is just really expensive, especially if you go to the dealer. My advice would be to learn to work on it yourself and save TONS. Comparing costs toan RX8.... Considering rx8's tend to need motors pretty often and burn more fuel... I'd say long term the 335 might cost less even. The rx8 has a ton of common problems that will likely re occur... BMW at least revises parts so you probably won't have to replace the same part twice.

Regarding what it costs... Oil change is scheduled every 15k miles or so and usually around 100 bux from the dealer. Some people recommend doing it more often. I personally think 7k - 10k is good.

Every two years brake fluid should be flushed 100 bux or so.

Cabin filter is 50 and is so easy you should DIY

Battery should last 4 or 5 years but is about 300 or for the dealer to replace it. The car does need to be "told" when the battery is replaced. You can buy the cable and software or you can pay the dealer or a shop that has it. Just make sure it gets done.

Air filter not sure of cost... But again DIY can't be more than 50

Transmission fluid should be replaced probably every 50 or 60k even though BMW says it's life time fluid. Auto is 300 - 400 to replace. Manual is probably 150 ish depending on what replacement fluid you use.

Diff fluid can probably go 100k miles... And should be similar in costs to the manual trans change... Maybe a little less.

Coolant is best replaced every 2 years... Not to exceed 5 years (IMHO) Dealer is probably a 150 - 200... Guessing. If you DIY it's a 20 dollar jug of BMW blue coolant distiller water and an hour or two of your time.

Power steering is a good idea to have replaced in the 60k or so range... Again probably 150 bux guessing.

Like I said overall as long as nothing breaks its probably similar or better than the rx8... However some people have lots of issues and others don't.... Just depends on your luck
Wow, thanks... on gas, definitely cheaper than the Rx-8. I really appreciate for the insight.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 03:46 AM   #8
ucosta
Unique
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 123Britt View Post
THE N54 --- Well actually Most all modern day BMW's are NOT for the average JOE. I love the car and actually enjoy maintaining the basics myself. My 335i is CPO and it has really paid to have bought her that way. As far as cost go --
I do follow the "old school MM schedule" -- but I do change the oil every 5k with the cheapest LL01 oil I can find - but do try to stick with the same brand by buying in quantity. I like OEM filters both oil and air. Again I like OEM for the MTranny oil -- changed at 50K. I am looking at changing the diff oil but the lack of a drain plug does bite. SO -- don't look at maint as a burden -- I love the prospect of buying stuff on Tischer / ECS / Turnner / BAVAUTO. My new front brake set-up from ECS is on the way and I can't wait till I hear the squeal of the UPS man.

SO -- LEARN TO LOVE THIS CAR AND THIS TYPE OF STUFF OR THE WORLD OF BMW MAY JUST NOT BE FOR YOU.
I will take care of this car like i took care of the rx-8. I did a lot of DIY, learned everything about it but did not buy the cheapest stuff i could get. I did my research for instance, best gas around in quality (Chevron and Exxon), best oil to use: synthetic Royal Purpule, Best air filter, etc... i but in the beginning i won't really have time to maintain it myself. That's why i wanted to know by taking it to the service how much it would be.

Thanks for the tips.
Appreciate 0
      09-26-2011, 03:47 AM   #9
ucosta
Unique
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Glim View Post
See here first if you want to DIY here is the list:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1721

Maintenance schedule:
http://blog.bavauto.com/9906/bavaria...nce-schedules/

Scan tool:
http://www.bavariantechnic.com/

If you want to code lights on/off or change any car codes:
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=587012
Yesssss.... Thank you!!
Appreciate 0
      09-30-2011, 09:51 AM   #10
lawgone
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 335i M Sport

I've seen several posts about chaging oil earlier than BMW recommends but I haven't seen any reasons for this. Has anyone found the oil changed at 15k to be of poor quality? I can't see why BMW would lie about it to "save money" on included maintenance since they would be responsible for any engine problems that might cause (talking about leases that get turned in and sold as CPO's.)
      09-30-2011, 05:17 PM   #11
Brian_TII
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 e90 330i 6spd

I think that's pretty much the debate. Some people argue that it's a bad idea to go 15k miles... others will argue that there isn't any hard proof it causes any trouble. Good news is you can decide for yourself what you're comfortable with. For the non-turbo cars ENTITY I think has about 150k miles on his car and has only been doing changes as recommended by the car... no issues. Turbo'd cars I dunno if there is a good example or not...
Appreciate 0