F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > CPO - is it really worth it?
Extreme Powerhouse

05-20-2010, 11:07 PM   #1
neology
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328i

CPO - is it really worth it?

BMWUSA offers CPOs at some attractive rates - 2.9%. But is a CPO car really worth the extra 2-3K we shell for it? I searched the forums for some opinions on this, but didn't get quite the info i wanted.

Some items not covered were a little worrying - " brake pads and rotors; brake shoes and drums; manual transmission clutch assemblies; suspension dampers (shock absorbers/strut elements); exhaust systems " - especially the brake components. I'm no expert, but brakes do wear out considerably over 3 yrs of life, more so if the car has spent some time on the race track or the driver was a lead foot

Does anyone have any experience with CPO vehicles where the dealership refused to honor service requests?

Is a CPO really worth that extra dough?

Has anyone had considerable issues with a CPO'd bimmer?
Appreciate 0
      05-20-2010, 11:10 PM   #2
sole cal
Black Mamba
Rep
Drives: E90 335i

I have CPO, sometimes I wish I didnt because I want to mod the crap out of it.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 03:27 AM   #3
neology
United_States
Rep
Drives: 07 328i

maybe you should ... but again, not all parts of the body is covered in CPO warranty. Did you check with the d(st)ealership?
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 08:26 AM   #4
Feyd
Major
Rep
Drives: a DEEZZULL

It's good for you while you own and just in case you want to sell (because its transferrable). Odd, I feel like I got my brakes changed when I had mine... hmm.

Beware though the premium that you pay for it doesn't translate to the value of the car if you total it.

Some jackass hit my wife in my old z4 and totaled it and during the fight with the insurance company I basically lost the CPO value (2-3k) when they were coming up with my valuation for the payout. This was a major nation-wide company too (not a no-name local company).

I don't think that should hinder you from getting one however... it is great for maintenance items/warranty repairs, etc. Also, with financing that low it'll be hard to beat it if you just went to a bank to get an auto loan for one from a private party.
Appreciate 0
      05-21-2010, 09:10 AM   #5
Nikos335i
Brigadier General
Greece
Rep
Drives: 2012 B8 S4 & 2013 F30 328xi

Garage List
2012 Audi S4  [9.00]
2007 E90 335i  [9.00]
2011 Audi A4 Avant  [10.00]
It really depends on a few variables ihmo.

Price alone is not the only thing to consider, depending on your borrowing capability financing with BMW would narrow the price difference.

Ex: A CPO monthly payment based on a $30K purchase price would be 663$ per month on a 48 month term. A $27.5K on a used car financed with your bank at let's say 5.9% would be 645$ on the same 48 month term. Saving you about +/- 1630$ yielding you a net savings of only 870$ vs. the original 2500$ price difference . As I said depending if you will borrow money or not, the % you can get should be considered but you get the point.

Also the benefit of a CPO car, extended warranty on many componants eventhough it's not a bumper to bumper warranty the coverage is pretty extensive. Also as a CPO car the dealership has an obligation to give you a car (they do here in Canada) with a minimum amount of brake life (50% and up) and tires as well. We bought a CPO 530xi touring for the wife recently and I insisted on new brakes and winter tires regardless of brake condition (obviously uf they were new I wouldn't ask them to change them again!). They agreed, new brakes, new tires, winter and summer mats and trunk liner was what I had put as my deal breakers.

Hope this helps and good luck!
gone: '06 E61 530xi Sapphire Black/Black with aluminum/premium/panoramic sunroof/Logic7/PDC
Appreciate 0