F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > 2013 BMW Vision EfficientDynamics Super Car headed for production!
GetBMWParts

01-31-2010, 02:48 AM   #23
Remonster
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xelloss View Post
I don't think they will go with the 3 cylinder diesel power plant as shown in the VED concept. I think (and hope) they will go with an I6 TT had I have heard before. Nevertheless, The final product will be amazing.
Why would they do that? The main goal here is gas mileage and the 3 cylinder diesel and electric motor combo is already as quick as an M3.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 06:11 AM   #24
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

No, the production car of the BMW CS Concept is not the 5 GT but it will be the 6 GT or 6 CS, don't know how they'll call it.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 09:03 AM   #25
Muffnbluff
Redline Addict
Rep
Drives: '14 BMW 335 xdrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by PM3 View Post

BMW take note from one of your customers (30 years of bimmers)...big brakes...non of those crap brakes u put in M cars, that fade after 2 or 3 laps round a circuit...awesome exhaust sound at startup - not like M6 M5 - clear light angel rods just like the concept not the full circle ones - 9000rmp red line - a proper manual and a proper hidraulic steering with good feedback (think porsche 911 turbo good) none of that soul less electric crap...
I don't think that 3 cylinder diesel is going to make a great exhaust sound at startup. ANd I'm not sure you could even have a manual tranny with this setup.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 10:07 AM   #26
antzcrashing
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 BMW 440i GC

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BimmerDriver View Post
it was absolutely expected. BMW did say this a while back that the Vision Concept is indeed a "vision" of things to come. The technology powering the car is ready for production, work needs to be done to the exterior to bring up to safety regulations standards.
I disagree - seemed BMW was warning us from the start that this might be just a CONCEPT. glad to see it gets the green light.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 10:22 AM   #27
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
No, the production car of the BMW CS Concept is not the 5 GT but it will be the 6 GT or 6 CS, don't know how they'll call it.
This is correct, the 5GT is the model that the concept inspired, that model will be the 6GT, the rival to the CLS and A7.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 10:51 AM   #28
dimabimmer
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 E92 M3 ZCP 6MT

the sound of dual electric motors at over 15k RPM outperforms and overshout current M3 rpm and exhaust sound...
... love current M3V8, but electric motor has much higher RPMs... instant power, no lag at all and all torque from beginning to end. What takes them so long to produce electric cars? Politics, politics....
      01-31-2010, 11:11 AM   #29
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

Quote:
I don't think that 3 cylinder diesel is going to make a great exhaust sound at startup. ANd I'm not sure you could even have a manual tranny with this setup.
The Eco-Super Sports car concept is based on the principles set by the Vision Efficient Dynamics which means it's combustion engine will be a reltively highly efficient three cylinder with the majority of the car's power coming from an electric motor. It is not going to be a seasoned Sports Car it will be groundbreaking by offering unique aerodynamics, low emissions and groundbreaking performance from it's unique drivetrain.
There will not be a V8.

It's not about joining the pack, it's about leading the pack with an entirely new Concept in the super sports car segment. Although you will not see the first fruits of this car until after the launch of the BMW Mega City Vehicles.

Quote:
jealous at audi´s sucess with the R8...and they to have already confirmed an R8 and R4 electric aswell.
And there is the problem. With the E-Tron Concept Audi are bullish about launching the car in 2012. No public field test of the technology? no feedback? what happens when it does not work?

Which is why BMW spent it's R&D resources on the "Efficient Dynamics" inititiate and the creation of the "Project-i" strategy instead of over costly vanity projects.

The MINI E field test ongoing within the US and parts of the EU is to gain feedback in preperation for the BMW Mega City Vehicle is the first stage. Feedback is gained in order to futher progress the concept seeing what works , what does not work and keep progressing to the optimum level.
Since the MINI E there has been further development in battery technology with BMW and it's partners , amongst other technologies.
The next stage of progress will be the Active E which showcases some of the progress learned from the MINI E. Again feedback will take progress further until everything is combined before the introduction of the production Mega City Vehicle in 2015.

Testing is important , especially customer testing in the sustainability era.
You cannot just put out an untried concept and hope it works because it looks good.

Thanks to cars like the MINI E and initiative such as Efficient Dynamics BMW continue to lead their competitiors in sustainability and lowering emissions. BMW have also put forward more investment to Project-i so that they continue to have the lead over their competitors into the next decade.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 11:19 AM   #30
kplsoleil
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: F10 eventually...

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
The Eco-Super Sports car concept is based on the principles set by the Vision Efficient Dynamics which means it's combustion engine will be a reltively highly efficient three cylinder with the majority of the car's power coming from an electric motor. It is not going to be a seasoned Sports Car it will be groundbreaking by offering unique aerodynamics, low emissions and groundbreaking performance from it's unique drivetrain.

There will not be a V8.

It's not about joining the pack, it's about leading the pack with an entirely new Concept in the super sports car segment. Although you will not see the first fruits of this car until after the launch of the BMW Mega City Vehicles.
Scott thanks for the info but with all due respect didn't you say that the EfficientDynamics concept sports car would not be made and that BMW has no plans to make any type of super sports car? Did BMW change its mind recently?

Also, is 2013 an accurate prediction for when this car will be out?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 11:30 AM   #31
SCOTT26
Major General
Rep
Drives: A big F-off German Truck.

There has always been a strategy for an eco-Sports car.
The problem was everybody was blinded to the fact that it would be an R8 Rival with great PS output and up to 10 cylinders. When the actual direction will be much different. BMW do not follow the competition it is very surprising how people seem to forget this.

VED cannot be sold as it is because of crash regulations etc.
As of now Project-i is the priority and the development of the mega city vehicle to launch in 2015.

The Eco SuperSports Car will be introduced after the Mega City Vehicle.
which means sometime after 2015. The technology may be "ready" but BMW intend to public test more developments seen on the VED with other cars.
Testing allows for additional progress before committing to prodcution.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 12:22 PM   #32
magbarn
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: '17 540i Msport

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimabimmer View Post
the sound of dual electric motors at over 15k RPM outperforms and overshout current M3 rpm and exhaust sound...
... love current M3V8, but electric motor has much higher RPMs... instant power, no lag at all and all torque from beginning to end. What takes them so long to produce electric cars? Politics, politics....
It might be faster than a M3 for the first few laps, but after you drain the battery after a few hot laps, I doubt it could keep up with a 328i with it's 3 cylinder diesel motor. Current battery tech still takes too long to charge and has too little energy density. OTOH, this would be a sweet street car as the stop-n-go driving would charge up the battery with regenerative braking and such.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 12:55 PM   #33
GnokGnik
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92 335i, 997 C2S

Meh, I am more of a "normal" petrol supercar fan. Maybe add a turbo or supercharger...but that is it!!

I want to see a 2950lb V8TT car with 580hp and matching torque.

Maybe I am being naive?
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 01:27 PM   #34
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330xi, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by dimabimmer View Post
Batteries, batteries...
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 02:22 PM   #35
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT26 View Post
And there is the problem. With the E-Tron Concept Audi are bullish about launching the car in 2012. No public field test of the technology? no feedback? what happens when it does not work?
I have to agree with you on this, but unlike most brands (including BMW) Audi with the backing of VW have more money to spend and are spending on R&D then just about any manufacturer. I'm sure as you probably are that if VW wish it to be done then chances are it will, though I personally don't think the world as a whole is fully ready for solely electric sportscars.
Appreciate 0
      01-31-2010, 03:19 PM   #36
bmwaddict
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: '11 AW 335is E92

I wish this one gonna beat, gt40, r8, and the gtr
Appreciate 0