E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > BMW E90/E92/E93 3-series General Forums > General E90 Sedan / E91 Wagon / E92 Coupe / E93 Cabrio > Opinion please!

05-12-2010, 10:52 AM   #1
Bharath
United_States
Rep
Drives: '08 328xi '00 SLK 230 & 07 R1

Question Opinion please!

Hello everyone!
I am a noobie here and I am starting this thread to get you guys' opinion on buying a used BMW.
I am looking at a 2008 BMW 328xi. It has a lot of miles on it - 62,300. Carfax is clean, this has been a leased vehicle. I test drove it yesterday. First off, I do not know what a bimmer feels like, but I have to say I was very very impressed with this car in particular. Still felt totally new - no vibration, rattling, nothing. It was a manual transmission and the gears shifted like butter and the clutch was very tight and felt like new.
The guy is asking $20,295 for it. I am not sure about packages, but it does have heated seats (Winter package?). He said it had the BMW premium audio. That was the only point I felt the bose in my 2000 SLK 230 outdid it easily. It has the aux port and no ipod integration. I dont think it had the satellite radio.
Question: Is it just one CD changer (Didn't see anything in the trunk)? Does it play mp3 cds?
Now.. I drive a lot and love it. So I am gonna be adding miles to this one, no doubt.
First: Is the price ok ?
Second: What would be the depreciation in let's say 2-3 years time if I get it to around ~105000 miles ?
Third: What is the typical gas mileage you guys get on a manual 328xi?

Thanks a lot you guys for answering!
Hope to join the club soon!
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 11:06 AM   #2
blue2fire
Brigadier General
Cayman Islands
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

What warranty did they offer?

Personally you could do much better for a 328 as far as the price/mileage.

BMW CCA
Member #420568
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordon Murray View Post
Being a fan of Honda engines, I requested that they consider building for the F1 a 4.5 liter V10 or V12. I asked, I tried to persuade them, but in the end could not convince them to do it, and the McLaren F1 ended up with a BMW engine.
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 11:09 AM   #3
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

That price is right around the private party blue book value for the car. You might be able to talk the seller down an extra thousand for it being out of warranty. Glad it still drives like new! Good luck
Appreciate 0
      05-12-2010, 11:21 AM   #4
Bharath
United_States
Rep

This is a used car dealership, so I would have to buy an extended warranty, as such, it is advertised "As-is" (No warranty).

After I test drove, I am really being attracted to it. The problem is, I want Manual transmission only and it is hard to find one.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 02:22 AM   #5
JayKay335i
Banned
Egypt
Rep
Drives: ///M323 DCT

Spend an extra couple thousand off the bat and pick up a lower mileage CPOed car from a BMW dealership or private seller. You can get a better deal, with less mileage, and a warranty.
Appreciate 0
      05-13-2010, 02:35 AM   #6
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
I would stay away from any used car dealership. Just seems too slimy to me.

I just did a search on www.bmwusa.com on inventory of CPO vehicles and found 55 with manual transmission under $25,000 (there were only 4 under $20,000). But there is a warranty, and the few models I glanced at had mileages in the upper 20's to lower 40's range. Seems like a smarter, safer route to me. Good luck, whichever way you go.

By the way, what do you think of your SLK 230? I've been tossing around the idea of picking up an older one (like under $10K) as sort of an occasional weekend toy. Are they reliable enough?
      05-13-2010, 05:28 PM   #7
jopa489
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Anything with Wheels

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayKay335i View Post
Spend an extra couple thousand off the bat and pick up a lower mileage CPOed car from a BMW dealership or private seller. You can get a better deal, with less mileage, and a warranty.
I agree. The deal doesn't sound too bad honestly, but for a little more it would likely be in your favor to get one with less miles (since you're going to be driving it a lot). There's really no difference between the '07 and '08, so consider an '07 with maybe 40k miles if you can find one you like.

I drive about 95% highway (and put 24k miles on my car in the first year) and get about 24MPG. I'm confident that figure would be higher if I drove less aggressively.

X7 LCI // Incoming
C7 ZR1 ZTK // Sebring + TRX // Hydro + Raptor Gen1 Roush // Tuxedo
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2010, 08:06 AM   #8
Bharath
United_States
Rep

Smile Thanks guys!

Hey guys,
Thanks a lot for your opinions and information. Actually, I got some good recommendation from people I know for this guy and I felt the car was good when I drove it. I did check the CPO's but they are not near me and the problem is I am in need of one immediately because my other car is a roadster !
I have decided to go with this and I believe it is a worth the risk. I love the features it's got. Personally, I would have gone with a Mercedes C class if they had more with manual transmissions around.
But I am really excited to be a part of the BMW family now !! Hopefully I will have a lot of good things to say about this baby in this forum in the future.
I can't wait to get behind the wheel!! Dying for today to be over, so I can get going with other stuff involving closing the sale.

@Bimmerbob,
As far as SLK 230 goes (R-170) chasis,
Pros
-Great gas mileage (I have touched 33 with just highway on long drives,
combined city and highway (25% city) gives me 28-29mpg with 93 Octane)
-Very good supercharger response
-Nice, comfotable interior - Fancy looking yet classic
- I have got 125k miles on it, and it has been a peach, no issues (Started at
78k)
-Awesome Bose speakers
-Sweet hardtop, very reliable usually

Cons
- Very very few manual transmissions around
- A little too much on the sporty side (Suspension stiff)
- Might get a little creaky near the door panels at high miles (Just check the
car you are buying to make sure it's not that way)
-Interior paint starts peeling here and there after 100k (Doesn't bother me)
-If you plan to sell it again, be prepared to sell it for really low, these
depreciate very fast

In general, the car is a lot of fun on any day. Totally worth the money you put in. If you get a wind blocker, the radio is wonderful even when the top is down. Very very durable and reliable, at least IMHO. You can check out http://www.benzworld.org under R-170 section to see what ppl say.

Again, thanks a lot guys!
-Bharath
Appreciate 0
      05-14-2010, 08:58 AM   #9
Bimmer-Bob
!
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 128i

Garage List
Thanks for the info on the SLK, and good luck with your new Bimmer!
      05-14-2010, 05:51 PM   #10
Bharath
United_States
Rep

Thumbs up I am officially also a part of the Bimmer family now!

Gentlemen,
I just took delivery of my sweet Black MT 328 xi, feels like heaven to drive. Still has the new car feel even the scent from the AC!! Love it.. Just started..
I am trying to figure out all the freaking buttons and stuff .. Gonna take some time to do it!!

Adios for now..
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 11:44 AM   #11
Bharath
United_States
Rep

Question Question

Hey guys,
Things are great. I have been driving my new E90 like a baby being so soft and shifting gears at low revs.. (You know, the whole new car treatment )
I am trying to get a general idea of servicing costs for a 2008 328xi at the dealership. Would you advice a BMW dealership or a european auto service place in general. I always take my SLK to an MB dealership and there is an "A" service every 10000 miles (Oil change, filters, fluids, brake checks etc..). Costs about $250 without any parts replacements. Is there any thing like that for the BMW too ?

Cheers,
Bharath
Appreciate 0