ZPOST
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   ZPOST > BMW Z4 Technical Talk > Wheels and Tires
  TireRack

SUPPORT ZPOST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

11-19-2008, 03:30 PM   #1
krannerd
Rep
Drives: 2004 Z4 3.0

First Post - Replacing RFTs

Have tried to absorb all of the wisdom here and just a few questions that I'm not 100% sure on.

I've got a 2004 Z4 3.0 (in beautiful black sapphire metallic)...30k miles and it is TIME to replace the runflats. I'm in Phoenix (where it was 90 yesterday)...we never really get below about 40 for more than a few hours...and it does not snow (ever). I'm a spirited driver, but do not track the car at all. This is my daily driver.

Can I stick with summer tires all year long?
--I've had summer tires on the car for 4 years and no real problems (but I'm safety minded). Leaning towards all season, but would like a comfortable ride and reasonable performance. The car has seen 1 hour of snow when in Tucson 2 years ago..and the summer tires were OK if driven cautiously.

If I opt for all season tires that are non-RFT...I'll still notice performance and comfort gains, right?
--I'd think that I would see performance and comfort gains between RFT summer tires and all season non-RFTs.

Is the performance difference really THAT great between the Top 5 All Season tires?
--Based on tirerack.com surveys and reviews....its seems like most of the top tier tires are pretty similar and you'd have to really pay attention/mesure things daily to quantify a difference in the real world.

As for tire selection...I'd like Yoko Advan S4's (but they're a little pricier than I'd like). So, looking at Goodyear F1 A/S based on price and tirerack.com reviews (as well as discounttire.com reviews).

Just looking to know if I've answered all of my properly...all feedback is welcomed.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2008, 03:57 PM   #2
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by krannerd View Post
Can I stick with summer tires all year long?

If I opt for all season tires that are non-RFT...I'll still notice performance and comfort gains, right?

Well, all seasons don't even exist here in Germany. That's how much they are appreciated by the same people who designed your car.

Runflats have a bad reputation for ride quality and expense. As far as grip goes they're not bad. I would think the average all-season would be a step down in performance (jack of all trades...master of none). Because where you live is ultra hot, you may want to look at some of the slightly harder compound summer tires, such as in the Ultra High Performance category (as opposed to Max Performance or Extreme Performance). Something with a good tread life rating. Look at the Bridgestone RE760 Sport, Dunlop Direzza DZ101, and the Yokohama S.Drive. They'll save you some money too, but won't last as long. That's not a bad thing...
      11-19-2008, 06:52 PM   #3
bojinns
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 E86

IMHO I have used all season non RFTs here on the East Coast where I have noticed a considerable difference in ride quality between Non RFTs vs RFTs. However, living in AZ, I would go Non RFTs Summer for ride comfort, driveability, and overall handling. You will notice a difference no doubt.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2008, 10:06 PM   #4
krannerd
Rep

Thanks for the feedback. Think that I'm going with the yokohama S-Drive. New shoes on Monday
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2008, 09:20 AM   #5
nmulax
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 Z4 M Coupe

Garage List
2007 Z4M Coupé  [7.66]
+1 on what's been said.

Get some non-RFT summer tires. Like MVF4 said... the all-season are ok in everything, good in nothing. I'm in Phoenix too, and with the quality of our roads and the fact that for 99% of the year it's 85°+, performance summer tires are the way to go.
      11-21-2008, 11:51 AM   #6
krannerd
Rep

Perfect! That's the confirmation that I needed. Yoko's on Monday.
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2008, 01:30 AM   #7
jgorman13
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i, 2008 C300 Sport

chucking my brand new RFTs this week. THANK GOD!

Ride quality sucks and so noisy. i hate them so much
Appreciate 0
      11-23-2008, 06:52 AM   #8
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Perfect! That's the confirmation that I needed. Yoko's on Monday.
After you get them scrubbed in, let us know what you think of the S.Drives.
      11-24-2008, 02:34 PM   #9
Z FORE
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 E93 Convertible

I have had mine for about 200 miles and so far so good. The sidewalls are a litter softer but not bad.
Appreciate 0
      11-24-2008, 08:36 PM   #10
krannerd
Rep

20 miles in....

--ride is noticeably smoother...I'm not afraid of manhole covers anymore. I can feel smaller bumps a bit more
--ride noise seems about the same....will know more later
--cornering seems better....but limited experience so far
--tramlining is much less pronounced, but i haven't taken them to my favorite spot yet
--steering feels lighter...car wants to wander less and is easier to bring back into line.

Set up the appointment online at discountire.com.....45 minutes, price was as agreed and they didn't mess up my rims. Not bad all the way around.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2008, 06:29 AM   #11
jgorman13
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2005 Z4 3.0i, 2008 C300 Sport

Quote:
20 miles in....

--ride is noticeably smoother...I'm not afraid of manhole covers anymore. I can feel smaller bumps a bit more
--tramlining is much less pronounced, but i haven't taken them to my favorite spot yet
--steering feels lighter...car wants to wander less and is easier to bring back into line.

Set up the appointment online at discountire.com.....45 minutes, price was as agreed and they didn't mess up my rims. Not bad all the way around.
keep us posted!
Appreciate 0
      12-08-2008, 02:12 PM   #12
krannerd
Rep

Quote:
20 miles in....

250 miles or so on the tires:
--yep, ride is still much smoother. Expansion joints on the highway are now palatable to my wife
--ride noise is noticably less on the highway
--cornering is better, but can feel that the sidewalls are softer. Several spots around town require a hard turn over washboard pavement...DSC does not engage now (it did with the runflats). So, noticably more control
--Took the car through the tramlining spot (semi truck ruts in the highway)...no problem to roll right through them and out at the end...easier to control.
--Fuel economy: no change noted. 24MPG in a mix of city/highway.

Last edited by krannerd; 12-12-2008 at 09:12 AM.. Reason: updating economy note
Appreciate 0