Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > 18" 219M wheels on non-M lci E90

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

08-24-2013, 07:58 PM   #1
davedNconfused
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90 M3 6MT Slicktop

18" 219M wheels on non-M lci E90

Hey Everyone,

I want to run 219M wheels on my lci E90 mostly inspired by mtechnik3's beautiful JB E90.

I'm trying to determine fitment but am having trouble with so many variables to factor. I've got H&R sport springs on stock sport suspension with rolled fenders in the rear and just tested the following setup:

219M BBS OEM BMW wheels
ET29 18x8.5
ET23 18x9.5

Continental DWS tires
235/40/18
265/35/18

I love the stance mtechnik3's pre-lci has with Eibach springs with the same size tires that I've got in the rear and an even wider tire up front (245 vs my 235). I want the same stance with the same wheels. Only difference is pre-lci vs lci, Sumitomo HTR Z III vs Continental DWS and Eibach vs H&R.

To avoid rubbing, I think I'll need to raise the stance. Was thinking of moving to the Eibach's but depending on where I get the info, they're less of a drop from stock than the H&Rs or about the same as H&Rs (approx lowering F: 1.4" R: 1" according to Mod Bargins). Can anyone confirm that my ride height would raise up if I switched to Eibach from H&Rs?

Wondering if that would be enough or if I'd also need to consider 255 in the rear and for that matter 225 in the front? I'd like to keep the meat on there if I can and don't mind the occasional rubbing but this is a DD so I don't want to do it all the time. I can exchange the tires for a different size as long as I don't drive on them so I can't fully test anything without committing (hence this post).

It's been done on an lci by mtechnik3 himself with his wife's car and Timujin but neither of them are lowered.

As a last resort, I'd also considering removing a few mm off the mounting surface of the wheel to increase the offset to tuck more but obviously this isn't a decision I want to make if I don't have to.

If you have any experience with any part of the above, I'd love to hear from you. Thanks in advance.

David

Last edited by davedNconfused; 10-15-2013 at 03:02 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 12:37 AM   #2
MonacoBlueE90
Colonel
Finland
Rep
Drives: BMW E90 320D Half-LCI

I have to say this one of the best post of asking about fitment. All the needed info is there (and pictures) and even some own research.. The car looks nice at those pictures.

In my understanding Eibach don't lower as much as H&R, but there is no point change just springs to get it higher, since the difference isn't much and you don't know how those springs settle, it might eventually be as low as H&R. Better solution would be coilovers, since they are stiffer and you can adjust the height where you want.

Front is the same between lci and pre-lci. Your 18x9.5 et23 rear on Lci is the same as 18x9.5 et15 on pre-lci.

I found one E91 with KW variante 19x9.5 et16 and 255/30/19 with rolled fenders.

At your pictures, it looks like it would rub at rear. You could add negative camber. One degree will pull the wheel in 10-12mm. Maybe consider the 255/35/18 tyre too. It's a shame you can't go to test drive. Have you tried putting weight to your trunk to see if the wheel hits the fender.

I wouldn't suggest removing anything from the wheel mounting surface. What they can remove is like few millimeters. If it is even possible.
      08-25-2013, 12:49 PM   #3
VTECaddict
Where'd my VTEC go?
United_States
Rep
Drives: 06 330i 6MT

Camber in the rear more. That will be the most inexpensive option. If you want to play with ride height, don't go with springs. You need coilovers.
Appreciate 0
      08-25-2013, 11:35 PM   #4
pianoblack
Rep
Drives: 2011 E90

Garage List
2011 BMW 323i  [10.00]
Nice setup you got there!

I don't have the drop that you have. But I'd say camber is the way to go. The difference in clearance between a 255/35 tire and a 265/35 is tiny. As it was already said, roll fender and -1 camber is the easiest way to go.

Oh, and clear your trunk
Appreciate 0