BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

04-24-2012, 09:51 AM   #1
atibus
Rep
Drives: 128i

Question Bluetooth / USB confusion

Hi everyone,

First time poster here! I've searched through the forums and the web trying to find this answer regarding bluetooth and I can't seem to find a conclusive answer.

I'm about to order a 2012 128i (LeMans Blue, Terracotta, M Sport). I am not getting Nav/iDrive. I want to be able to do the following:

- Pair my HTC Evo 4G and answer calls (dialing calls I can do through my phone)
- Listen to Pandora or MP3's via bluetooth OR USB (not via analog jack)

I don't care about controlling the music via my radio; I'll do that through the phone.

My question is this-- do I need BMW assist w/ Enhanced Bluetooth to do the above? CA is telling me I need BMW assist and I disagree (as that would be dumb and I really rather spend that $650 on beer.)

Thank you!
bp
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 10:08 AM   #2
ejm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135 Convertible 6MT

Same question here. I can play music via Bluetooth in my Lexus but I have the nav system in that car.
I do not have the nav in my 135 but would still like to listen to music over Bluetooth,
      04-24-2012, 10:31 AM   #3
GtiGyver
Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2009 Space Grey E90 328i MT

get the BMW iphone-USB kit and connect it to a A2DP bluetooth dock receiver.
Look for the above on ebay.

Look Ma, no wires!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 12:54 PM   #4
MPowerF1
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2012 BMW 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by atibus View Post
My question is this-- do I need BMW assist w/ Enhanced Bluetooth to do the above? CA is telling me I need BMW assist and I disagree (as that would be dumb and I really rather spend that $650 on beer.)

Thank you!
bp
The CA is partially correct. If you want to stream music via A2DP (Bluetooth) you need the enhanced bluetooth included in the BMW Assist option.

However, you should be able stream Pandora (or any audio source playing on your phone) via the USB. Your phone would still be pared via Bluetooth and would answer calls that way. So that solution should work out for you without having to upgrade to get the A2DP. I've done this numerous times myself but my car is equipped with BMW Assist and Nav so I can't confirm 100% that this will be the case for you. Nevertheless, nothing I've read suggests that either of these options would fundamentally change the function of the USB input.

Best answer of course is to go down to a dealer with your phone and try it out to confirm.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 01:13 PM   #5
atibus
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MPowerF1 View Post
The CA is partially correct. If you want to stream music via A2DP (Bluetooth) you need the enhanced bluetooth included in the BMW Assist option.

However, you should be able stream Pandora (or any audio source playing on your phone) via the USB. Your phone would still be pared via Bluetooth and would answer calls that way. So that solution should work out for you without having to upgrade to get the A2DP. I've done this numerous times myself but my car is equipped with BMW Assist and Nav so I can't confirm 100% that this will be the case for you. Nevertheless, nothing I've read suggests that either of these options would fundamentally change the function of the USB input.

Best answer of course is to go down to a dealer with your phone and try it out to confirm.
Thanks MPowerF1. I just learned that if you want HK Audio they require BMW Assist / EBT. So I guess I have to have $650 less beer.
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2012, 02:14 PM   #6
ejm3
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2012 135 Convertible 6MT

I can confitm you can stream music (Pandora or Tune-in Radio) via the USB cable with out BMW Assist, though I had to purchase the official $72 BMW cable because the standard iPhone cable would give me an error. Bluetooth would be cleaner but it will work.
      04-24-2012, 03:28 PM   #7
keha
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW M2 LBB

good to know... perfect timing stumbling on this post since I just picked one up yesterday. thanks.
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2012, 01:29 PM   #8
atibus
Rep

Hey, resurrecting this thread because I now have my new 128i.

I have the HK audio system, which requires purchase of the Enhanced Bluetooth.

1. You cannot listen to A2DP over bluetooth. It's not even an option on the stereo.
2. You cannot stream music from Pandora or the like via USB. You can listen to MP3, AAC, M4A so long as they are in file system (like USB drive, phone, MP3 player).

LeMans Blue / Terracotta 128i
Appreciate 0