F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Anybody own a BMW G650GS bike?
Studio RSR

10-24-2011, 04:55 PM   #1
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Vespa

Anybody own a BMW G650GS bike?

For commuting and occasional weekend fun, I am thinking of getting a BMW G650GS. A friend at work has an enduro bike, and goes riding with a bunch of people. I was thinking of possibly getting this bike. I am also looking at a Honda XR650L and CRF230L. I really don't need anything > 250cc, really, but 650cc is lowest street legal bike BMW makes. I am also a little biased towards the BMW bike, well because I like BMW, I think the styling is better, but for my use of it, both the BMW and Honda will outperform me.

I've ridden dirt bikes and ATVs as a kid, almost everyday from ages of 13-17, but never on a roadways, never licensed. I got my learner's permit this morning from the Colorado DMV ;-)
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 05:27 PM   #2
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

If you just got your learners permit, I suggest riding a 250 for a year then upgrading to a 600. Anything over that is going to get you killed. Afterward about 2-3 years, you can upgrade to the BMW S1000RR.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 05:45 PM   #3
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
If you just got your learners permit, I suggest riding a 250 for a year then upgrading to a 600. Anything over that is going to get you killed. Afterward about 2-3 years, you can upgrade to the BMW S1000RR.
Yea, I used to ride 180-225cc at 14 years old, and I always thought even that was too much power. Now at 31, I still believe 250cc would be enough for commute and weekends off road. I wish BMW made a smaller engine bike. I may just have my learner's permit, but I am no stranger to motobikes, that being said, I don't believe years of dirt experience translate to experienced on-road rider.

I have no interest whatsoever in a S1000RR, sport bike. I am doing enduro only. I want to be able to go off road easily, without needing a truck/trailer to haul a 100% dirt bike around.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 06:14 PM   #4
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Quote:
Originally Posted by -=Hot|Ice=- View Post
I don't agree with this at all. My first street bike was a R1. It wasn't too much bike. I had riden 2 strokes and being able to control the on off power of that makes any street bike easy. Just don't be dumb.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 08:33 PM   #5
-=Hot|Ice=-
Been There, Done That.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 BMW M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by chriszeh View Post
I don't agree with this at all. My first street bike was a R1. It wasn't too much bike. I had riden 2 strokes and being able to control the on off power of that makes any street bike easy. Just don't be dumb.
I mean, if you have bike experience then no, it won't be. The OP says he already has a bike background, so a liter bike is fine. Getting on an R1 with no previous bike experience? You're asking for it.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2011, 08:37 PM   #6
60av8tor
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 E93 - Jet Black

Just sold my Dakar. Great bike, but not much of an enduro. Anything more than a fire road is a handful. Not that it can't be taken in some pretty rough areas, but it will wear you out in a hurry. It's a really great bike, but you have to be realistic about the type of off-roading you're going to do. Obviously with dual sports, everything is a compromise - with the GS being much more biased toward paved roads.
      10-25-2011, 09:58 AM   #7
dirtyfreebooter
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 60av8tor View Post
Just sold my Dakar. Great bike, but not much of an enduro. Anything more than a fire road is a handful. Not that it can't be taken in some pretty rough areas, but it will wear you out in a hurry. It's a really great bike, but you have to be realistic about the type of off-roading you're going to do. Obviously with dual sports, everything is a compromise - with the GS being much more biased toward paved roads.
Good to know, this is first and foremost going to be a commuter bike, so 95% of the time, daily (with permitting weather) will be on the road. I just want to option to do the occasional off-road weekend ride to help me remember what it was like when I was younger, and had no responsibilities :-)
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 10:21 AM   #8
60av8tor
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by robackja View Post
Good to know, this is first and foremost going to be a commuter bike, so 95% of the time, daily (with permitting weather) will be on the road. I just want to option to do the occasional off-road weekend ride to help me remember what it was like when I was younger, and had no responsibilities :-)
Sounds like this may be the perfect set up for you then. Funny comment about younger and no responsibilities. With the Dakar, I recently sold a KDX 200 (straight enduro bike). It's the bike I learned to ride on some 25..ish years ago. Bought an 06 (last year they were made) for nostalgia's sake more than anything. I'd get on that thing, think back to what I used to do as a teenager, and think WTH, I have to actually be able to go to work on Monday
      10-25-2011, 09:24 PM   #9
sjp3003
Private
Dominican Republic
Rep
Drives: 2011 X5 50i

The 650 is an attractive and versatile bike. But if you're looking to explore more technical trails, take a look at these:

For a light street legal bike that is also good for trail riding, try the Suzuki DR Z 400S:
http://www.suzukicycles.com/Product%...1/DRZ400S.aspx

For something even more serious with top notch components, try the KTM 450 EXC:
http://www.ktm.com/us/enduro/450-exc-usa.html

Dual sport riding is fun...it doesn't get the same relative attention in the US as in Europe and other countries.
2013 KTM 1190 Adventure
2013 Husqvarna Terra 650
Appreciate 0
      10-25-2011, 10:19 PM   #10
60av8tor
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjp3003 View Post

For something even more serious with top notch components, try the KTM 450 EXC:
Awesome bike - owned this one as well. Only issue is more than about 1/2 hour on the street and

Bike rips off-road however. Basically straight enduro with some turn signals stuck on.