E90Post

Coby Wheel

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Alpine Upgrade & Satnav

10-28-2010, 12:04 PM   #1
lakesman
Rep
Drives: X1 xDrive23d

Alpine Upgrade & Satnav

Have recently had Alpine Audio Upgrade installed by dealer. Sound quality much improved. However have factory fitted satnav which delivers voice commands through front speakers only. Because of the delay in powering up the Alpine amp, (ie on detection of an input, as opposed to a remote from the head unit) I often lose the first part of the voice command (often most of it!). Currently get around problem by switching on radio at low volume thus keeping the amp continuously powered.
My amp would appear to have about a 2 secs delay on powering up, (ie with an audio source I hear the directly fed rear speakers 2 secs before any sound from the amp fed fronts) and will stay powered up for 30 secs after removal of input signal.
If my experience normal? Bmw reckon the delay is only 0.5 secs. This sounds far less than I have ever heard, and if they are correct, they have supplied me with a faulty amp! In my opinion, I see this as a design fault, ie whilst the upgrade is an excellent, value for money, audio upgrade, it is not compatible with the factory fitted satnav that requires the amp to be on at any time it is issueing a voice command. What are the experience of other users? Is a 2 sec delay normal?

Last edited by lakesman; 10-28-2010 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: small error
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 03:50 PM   #2
3jtr
Rep
Drives: bmw 320i se

alpine voice command delay

I am getting an alpine upgrade fitted on Tuesday. That is not good news. Will let you know what my delay is. Do your have the business od professial sat nav
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 03:58 PM   #3
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep
Drives: Viertürigen Fahrzeugs

Are they sure it's been done correctly?

The reason I ask is even though you turn the stereo off, I don't think it's ever off.. it just mutes the audio source. On my L7 system as soon as I turn the stereo "power" on the thing is already playing music.. No delays at all.

I would kinda think with factory stuff and the fact that the system may at anytime issue a voice prompt/guidance or should be ready for your input, the new amp should be on when the vehicle is on vs. when audio is actively coming out.. so it's always ready..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 05:08 PM   #4
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
Are they sure it's been done correctly?

The reason I ask is even though you turn the stereo off, I don't think it's ever off.. it just mutes the audio source. On my L7 system as soon as I turn the stereo "power" on the thing is already playing music.. No delays at all.

I would kinda think with factory stuff and the fact that the system may at anytime issue a voice prompt/guidance or should be ready for your input, the new amp should be on when the vehicle is on vs. when audio is actively coming out.. so it's always ready..
There's no delay just because the Logic7 amp turns on by a MOST (digital) message and not by analog signal sensing.

Analog signal sensing turn on implementation is a crap shoot, sometimes it works and sometimes random turn on/off issues pop up, regardless if this is OEM or not. All depends on the device signal output characteristics/topology and the trigger voltage level of the sensor... too low of a threshold and the device will turn on/off with noise, too high and the device will turn on only when you crank up the volume or with a delay, just right and it would work with some devices and not that well with others.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 05:54 PM   #5
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Technic View Post
There's no delay just because the Logic7 amp turns on by a MOST (digital) message and not by analog signal sensing.

Analog signal sensing turn on implementation is a crap shoot, sometimes it works and sometimes random turn on/off issues pop up, regardless if this is OEM or not. All depends on the device signal output characteristics/topology and the trigger voltage level of the sensor... too low of a threshold and the device will turn on/off with noise, too high and the device will turn on only when you crank up the volume or with a delay, just right and it would work with some devices and not that well with others.
Power/etc is still through normal wiring, right? The fiber doesn't provide power to the unit, it provides the data. If I look at my iPod while my radio is 'off' it still shows it's plugged in, and again, as soon as I hit the "power" button on the radio [which really, is a volume button] it's playing. Just like when I unlock my car the nav disc starts spinning up. Everything is literally always on and ready to go..
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 07:11 PM   #6
Technic
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 2021 i3S, 2024 i4 M50

Quote:
Originally Posted by timmahh View Post
Power/etc is still through normal wiring, right? The fiber doesn't provide power to the unit, it provides the data. If I look at my iPod while my radio is 'off' it still shows it's plugged in, and again, as soon as I hit the "power" button on the radio [which really, is a volume button] it's playing. Just like when I unlock my car the nav disc starts spinning up. Everything is literally always on and ready to go..
Yes, that's what I said. Your Logic7 OEM amp turns on by data message, the OP's Alpine OEM amp turns on by analog signal (speaker level) as there is no MOST connection much less by the analog OEM remote turn on signal of the OEM HU.

This is not the same as providing the 12V to power the OEM amp. That's not the OP's problem, it is one of the signal sensing turn on circuitry of the Alpine OEM amp.

When the OP's OEM HU turns on the output signal level is either below the Alpine OEM amp turn on signal level threshold, simply goes thru a delay sequence so no turn on pop can be heard or worse, a combination of the two events. Two seconds delay is not bad in an aftermarket system, not that good in an OEM system especially when the rear speakers sound first and then the fronts.

None of that is present or relevant in your Logic7 OEM amp because by the time you unlock the door the OEM amp is turned on by a message from the OEM HU/iDrive. The same happens when you lock the doors up... the OEM amp shuts down by digital message.

In the OEM HiFi amp this is accomplished by the analog OEM remote turn on signal, however when the door or trunk is opened 12V is sent to the OEM amp to turn on. It will turn off some 3-15 minutes after the last door or trunk is closed depending on the OEM HU/iDrive power status. No signal sensing, no data message.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2011, 08:12 PM   #7
timmahh
ghey
United_States
Rep

^^ Thanks for the clarification, that makes sense, and sucks at the same time
Appreciate 0