F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Hip Replacement
ARMA SPEED

04-13-2011, 01:50 PM   #23
lucas.kent
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
I am no doctor, but my mom has recently had both her hips replaced. The doctor above in this post mentioned doing research and being comfortable with the surgeon, the hospital and everything about the procedure. I couldn't agree more.

For her first hip replacement she went to a small local hospital. The surgery went well, but the post op care and physical therapy were absolutely atrocious. She was in and out of the hospital a couple of times with issues (allergic reaction, blood clot, etc). Not a good experience at all. We completely underestimated everything that comes after the surgery.

The second hip replacement we got wise. Went to a much better hospital in a suburban area that specializes in joint replacements (we went to the Anderson Orthopedic clinic and got one of the best surgeons there). He did a relatively new type of hip replacement using what they call the "anterior approach." I'll let the doctor(s) say more about this, but in short it doesn't cut through muscle so the healing process is much faster. I'm not kidding when I say that the surgery took 55 minutes and she was standing 8 hours later in her hospital room. She was home in three days and is now living her life normally.

If you do decide that having a total hip replacement is right for you, consider the surgeon and method - but also really think about the care you'll receive afterwards.
Appreciate 0
      04-13-2011, 04:24 PM   #24
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Thought this was a todar thread. nm

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 04:40 AM   #25
Kloogy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 Sport

Garage List
Well guys, I had my hip replaced Fri April 15. During the weeks leading up to this my pain got worse. The final x rays showed that It had already fractured. So these last free weeks were horrid.

Today will be exactly one week since the full replacement. Believe me , it is worth it. I am going through some very bad soreness right now , from the Surgery and PT. But that piercing hip pain is no longer. I know I have quite a road still ahead , as far as recovering , but I welcome it . Thanks to all who chimed in here. This thread gave me the best info anywhere. Also gave me confidence. Just wanted to pass that along. Thanks again everyone !
2004 Mustang GT Vert. - Modded
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 07:43 AM   #26
lucas.kent
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2016 BMW M3  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kloogy View Post
Well guys, I had my hip replaced Fri April 15. During the weeks leading up to this my pain got worse. The final x rays showed that It had already fractured. So these last free weeks were horrid.

Today will be exactly one week since the full replacement. Believe me , it is worth it. I am going through some very bad soreness right now , from the Surgery and PT. But that piercing hip pain is no longer. I know I have quite a road still ahead , as far as recovering , but I welcome it . Thanks to all who chimed in here. This thread gave me the best info anywhere. Also gave me confidence. Just wanted to pass that along. Thanks again everyone !
Good to hear it! Best of luck.
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2011, 07:50 AM   #27
Singletrack
4th down; 4th quarter? Renegade.
United_States
Rep
Drives: 09 SSII E92 M3; 19 FG M5C

Glad to hear you are recovering. I went through a major repair on my shoulder on Monday. The first two days were brutal. I feel your pain.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2011, 12:43 AM   #28
geneatals
Ninja
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2019 530e

Quote:

glad to hear you are on the mend...good luck with your recovery...
      04-24-2011, 03:24 AM   #29
Kloogy
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 BMW X5 Sport

Garage List
Thanks folks. It's been a little over a week. Still have serious soreness , but that's going to go away at some point.
2004 Mustang GT Vert. - Modded
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 07:32 AM   #30
psalm40
Jet Black 135cic
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 135i convertible

Best of healing to you! I'm sure you will appreciate the new hip in no time.
      04-24-2011, 06:10 PM   #31
SonnyJack
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: '09 E92 M3/'18 F83 M4

Quote:
Thanks folks. It's been a little over a week. Still have serious soreness , but that's going to go away at some point.
Glad to hear you are doing well. My 71 yr old mother went through a total hip replacement last summer due to your same condition. She came back like a champ, and the best part is that she doesn't have to take those damn painkillers anymore!

Quality of life is the key. It has been a major improvement for my mother and it sounds like you are very pleased with your choice. I tip my hat to you.

Enjoy!
Appreciate 0
      04-24-2011, 06:32 PM   #32
Htown09
Captain
Rep
Drives: E92

What kind of operation did you have? (technique)

Hope you heal quickly and get back on your feet.
Appreciate 0