E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > Viper 5902 for 07 335i... yes?? or no??

07-24-2010, 09:41 PM   #1
beemerlover321
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Sedan

Thumbs up Viper 5902 for 07 335i... yes?? or no??

Hello my fellow BMW lovers. I need your help. I have 07 335i sedan. I have basically all the upgrades except the alarm and the keyless entry. I was looking at the Viper 5902 with the HD display and all. it allows me to start the car from a mile away (remote start), lock/unlock the car, enter the car without pressing any button (detects my presence as i get closer). All these features are said to be included with this viper 5902 model (as said on their website)

My concern is, before i make this investment, is there anything i should be aware of?? I know these hi tech systems glitch every now and then, but have anyone of you guys have had a issue with this system??

Please help, ur feedback will be greatly appreciated!!!
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2010, 10:15 PM   #2
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: F34 xDrive

Quote:
Originally Posted by beemerlover321 View Post
I have 07 335i sedan.
I have a 2007 328ix.

Quote:
I was looking at the Viper 5902 with the HD display and all.
I really like this system - but then, I was the product manager for it when it was in development. I'm prejudiced.

Quote:
it allows me to start the car from a mile away (remote start),
Right (but you will need a DLPK CAN interface and a BMW KI ribbon interface interface)

Quote:
lock/unlock the car
Ditto.

Quote:
enter the car without pressing any button (detects my presence as i get closer).
No flipping idea how that's supposed to happen. I don't see it on the web page either.

Quote:
All these features are said to be included with this viper 5902 model (as said on their website)
Most of those require the DLPK to function, and the RS definitely requires the BMW KI (or INT, I can't remember) on top of the DLPK.

So, the good news is that if the installer prepares and reads and researches, there is very little wiring involved, so there is little that can go wrong.

The bad news, if you call it that, is that the DLPK effects all these actions through the CAN bus. I've not heard of it having any issues, but that's the point of weakness.

The interface will also require a key pellet from a valet key for installation. You may want to buy an extra key (no remote required).

Oh, and I like the Clifford version better.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2010, 10:41 PM   #3
beemerlover321
Rep

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by VP Electricity View Post
I have a 2007 328ix.

I really like this system - but then, I was the product manager for it when it was in development. I'm prejudiced.

Right (but you will need a DLPK CAN interface and a BMW KI ribbon interface interface)

Ditto.

No flipping idea how that's supposed to happen. I don't see it on the web page either.

Most of those require the DLPK to function, and the RS definitely requires the BMW KI (or INT, I can't remember) on top of the DLPK.

So, the good news is that if the installer prepares and reads and researches, there is very little wiring involved, so there is little that can go wrong.

The bad news, if you call it that, is that the DLPK effects all these actions through the CAN bus. I've not heard of it having any issues, but that's the point of weakness.

The interface will also require a key pellet from a valet key for installation. You may want to buy an extra key (no remote required).

Oh, and I like the Clifford version better.
Will the Clifford version require the same extras you mentioned???? and i am trying to understand the tech language (google-ing it right now).... but could you please use cave man wording. and Great response. Thank you!!!
      07-24-2010, 10:44 PM   #4
beemerlover321
Rep

Quote:

I have to open the door of course, but it will unlock it for me as i come closer. (or maybe you already understood this and are saying that it doesn't have that feature) ......
      07-24-2010, 10:56 PM   #5
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
(or maybe you already understood this and are saying that it doesn't have that feature) ......
Not only does it not have that feature, I can't figure out what page of the we site or what lart of the info you are getting that idea from.

It definitely has no "Comfort Access" feature of any kind.

The Clifford has the same brain, same remote internals, better looking remote housing IMO.

You don't need to understand much other than a 5902 won't do anything in your car without a DLPK. The DLPK sends commands on, and monitors, the car's data line (called a CAN network). Once you have a DLPK, you get a ton of features at once.

If you want remote start, you also need a KIBMW, which is an add-on for a DLPK that lets it plug into our ignition key sockets with a ribbon cable.

If you have a 5902, a DLPK, a KIBMW, and I'd buy the BMW hood pin cause that's how I am, and another key, you can have all that stuff working (other than the proximity keyless entry, if you make that work, you're Harry Potter).
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2010, 10:57 PM   #6
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Oh, one more thing. If you haven't tried out the HD remote, it's the slickest remote control UI for a car ever made.
Appreciate 0
      07-24-2010, 11:00 PM   #7
beemerlover321
Rep

http://www.viper.com/P-5902V/Respond...e+Start+System

follow the link, click on "features and specifications" and it says "yes" next to the key less entry....

and Thanks again. You've been a great help!!!!
      07-25-2010, 12:03 AM   #8
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

The problem is that you don't know what "keyless entry" means. It means any unlocking means that don't involve key insertion. It covers both regular remote unlocking and Comfort Access-type proximity unlocking, but the term is much older than any commercial proximity unlocking system I'm aware of.

All "Keyless Entry" means on any Directed site is, press Unlock on the remote, the door(s) unlock IF the installer hooked that up.

You were imputing much more coolness to "k/e" than it really has.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2010, 07:12 AM   #9
MOTO69JOE
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E46, E90

Will this remote start feature work on 6MT cars? Is it smart enough to read if the car is N to allow it to start?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2010, 11:08 AM   #10
The_DDub
Mmmm torque
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a Boss, hard and fast

Garage List
2007 328i Sedan  [0.00]
Comfort access does not automatically lock/unlock based on proximity. You still need to touch the door handle to lock/unlock it. CA just allows you not to have to fumble for the FOB in your pocket if your hands are full. True proximity locking/unlocking sounds really neat I however, have CA so I will just get the OEM alarm. This does sound good for my 00 Discovery with a busted keyfob though.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2010, 11:50 AM   #11
beemerlover321
Rep

I am going to take the car to the shop today or tomorrow and get the details. will let u guys know what they say.
      07-25-2010, 03:24 PM   #12
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by MOTO69JOE View Post
Will this remote start feature work on 6MT cars? Is it smart enough to read if the car is N to allow it to start?
None "sense" the MT shifter position.

However, if you want to be able to do RS later, as you park the car, you take it out of gear, and press the RS button. Then take the key out and get out of the car (it continues running) and arm it. It will shut down and thusly, RS is enabled, UNTIL someone triggers the alarm or unlocks the doors.

This must be done each time you want RS enabled.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2010, 03:25 PM   #13
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
I am going to take the car to the shop today or tomorrow and get the details. will let u guys know what they say.
I'm not too interested in what they say, unless it's entertaining.

If they haven't done BMW RS before, you will have to get them to do some research.

What shop you going to?
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2010, 03:26 PM   #14
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_DDub View Post
Comfort access does not automatically lock/unlock based on proximity. You still need to touch the door handle to lock/unlock it. CA just allows you not to have to fumble for the FOB in your pocket if your hands are full. True proximity locking/unlocking sounds really neat I however, have CA so I will just get the OEM alarm. This does sound good for my 00 Discovery with a busted keyfob though.
I know how CA works, I have it in my car - but having CA isn't a reason to not get something like this.

Now that they have the iPhone BB interface I was thinking of adding that too.
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2010, 04:28 PM   #15
lopealle
Resident Black Guy
Zimbabwe
Rep
Drives: Lion

Garage List
2006 M5  [10.00]
that alarm looks badass. i dont think i would put it on my bmw though. i want to buy it for my mustang though
Appreciate 0
      07-25-2010, 04:32 PM   #16
beemerlover321
Rep

Quote:
I'm not too interested in what they say, unless it's entertaining.

If they haven't done BMW RS before, you will have to get them to do some research.

What shop you going to?
http://cartronixonline.com/index.php?prog=home
(ignore the music)
They seem to be pretty reputable in my area. And they are authorized Viper dealers.
      07-26-2010, 11:46 AM   #17
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Gosh, I remember back in the days when it meant something to be an Authorized Viper Dealer

Are they E90 experienced?

I would politely ask whoever you work with to do some research on the DLPK and BMWKI before quoting it for you. Explain how the DLPK eliminates most of the wire-by-wire installation, and requires NO firmware updating (if they are a Directed dealer, they are SICK of firmware updating, and this piece doesn't need it).

Also explain that the alarm will only need power, ground, ignition, and a hood pin installed. EVERYTHING else comes through the DLPK IIRC.

Do NOT connect the starter kill relay. Your BMW Immobilizer is fine. In fact, this install may not require ANY of the relays.

By the way, if they do the research on making the clown nose blink for the DEI LED, that would be WAY cool. I haven't spent any time researching that possibility. I know some people are making the clown nose blink in a fake security way.
Appreciate 0
      07-26-2010, 12:04 PM   #18
VP Electricity
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep

Oh, and since the worst part of the 5902 is the heinous antenna, I would ask how they are gonna hide it. I'd put it under the center speaker/defroster grille. Then LED relo and emergency switch relo are required.
Appreciate 0
      07-27-2010, 01:50 AM   #19
beemerlover321
Rep

i am having second thoughts now guys. i think i don't mind getting in the car with the heat. and im pretty sure now that it will void some electrical warranty, so i don't want to mess with that.
But Thank You so much for the feedback. I LOVE THIS FORUM!!!