E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Cosmetic and Lighting Modifications (exterior/interior) > 2007 335i Coupe, Multiple Lighting Issues, Need Some Help Please, USA Car, Now in CDN

10-06-2013, 08:42 PM   #1
Opo
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 335i E92 6MT (12/06 build)

Exclamation 2007 335i Coupe, Multiple Lighting Issues, Need Some Help Please, USA Car, Now in CDN

Hello fellow BMW fans,

I am having some seriously annoying issues with the car I just bought.

It is a 2007 335i Coupe with Xenon & adaptive headlights. I bought it used about 2 weeks ago with ~90k miles on it.

The used car dealer repeatedly told me that they would fix the lights and the TPMS sensor and the car would be ready for me on the Friday that I was picking it up. Well Friday rolls around and the lights had not been fixed yet but I needed the car for the weekend and the following week to be able to get to work as the insurance company just took my rental car back because my previous car was a total loss due to a fire...

Anyways the dealership is still willing to work with me to get them fixed (as they should be considering they sold me the car saying it passed the safety test obviously which enforces that all lights on the vehicle must work) but as it stands right now there are a number of issues going on.

the Car is a USA car built in 12/2006 but it has been in Canada for the last ~50k miles of its life..

At some point, someone installed a DRL module and hooked it up to the foglights to make them act as the DRL's, but it was also causing some weird shit to happen, as I would signal both foglights would flash, and sometimes make the 1 lowbeam flicker. So I have since removed this DRL module...

Now to the good stuff....

Currently the car has an aftermarket HID kit installed, just a regular xenon one, so only the low beams work, and of course the adaptive lighting does not work.

high beams do not work
angel eyes are not working at all H8's
flash to pass bulbs are not working at all H3's

Car currently shows the following CC-ID's:

295 adaptive headlamps

378 left day time running lamp/parking lamp malfunction (this code stays on even if I go into my idrive menu and turn off the DRL's, does this mean the car's computer system may have been updated to a Canadian baseline or something? and is showing this error even if the DRL's are turned off on the American idrive system?)

379 right daytime running lamp/parking lamp malfunction (this code stays on even if I go into my idrive menu and turn off the DRL's, does this mean the car's computer system may have been updated to a Canadian baseline or something? and is showing this error even if the DRL's are turned off on the American idrive system?)

380 left turn signal malfunction (no idea why this is on as the left turn signal functions exactly the same as the right turn signal.... seems to be no problem here)

I have since been back to the dealership to talk with the shop's head mechanic for about an hour we played with the headlights a bit (it was all the time we had) and we plugged in a D1S bulb on the passenger side and could not get it to work at all.

He gave me both new D1S bulbs to take home so I could try the other side and see if either side would start working/whatever. So today I tried it, I could not get either D1S bulb to work in either side. I never started the car fully with them plugged in, I only 'powered' on the car and had the light selector on low beam setting, the factory BMW ballast seem to be trying to ignite the D1S bulbs but were failing, and making some very loud buzzing noises, even looked like they were sparking (you can see it spark in the last buzz in the following video)

So it looks like I need to get new ballast's that will fit into the factory BMW headlights? this should get my D1S bulbs low beams & high beams working correct? hopefully there is nothing wrong with the adaptive system.. (the angle sensors front and rear in the suspension areas look fine)

and then afterwards I can figure out why the hell the angel eyes and flash to pass bulbs aren't working... those should be less serious issues..

My main question is where is the best place to source ballast's that will work to solve this?

dealership here in Canada wants ~$600/each (pure robbery)

I see realoem.com wants ~$430/each (still insanely high for just a freaking ballast...)

Are there any worthwhile aftermarket solutions? There must be I'm hoping... Ballast shouldn't cost more than $100/each in my eyes... they're nothing special.

Thanks for any help you can offer!
Appreciate 0
      10-06-2013, 09:01 PM   #2
McAuley7
@McAuley7
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i

Garage List
2010 335i  [9.00]
Many ballast on eBay I saw for $150-200 , other than that idk good luck
Appreciate 0
      10-11-2013, 01:49 PM   #3
Opo
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Can I replace my ballast with these ones??

http://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/DDM-Ballast-D1-35W
Appreciate 0
      10-19-2013, 03:54 PM   #4
Opo
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Exclamation

So I had a local guy replace my ballasts with some waterproof OSRAM ones...

Now my low beams work fine with the factory D1S bulbs.

However, my high beams still do not work. Does the adaptive headlight error issue prevent the high beams from working?

What else could it be?
Appreciate 0
      10-23-2013, 06:46 PM   #5
Opo
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Bump
Appreciate 0
      11-13-2013, 05:27 PM   #6
Ingeniator
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 07 335XI(90) 09 135I(82)

Hey,

I have a simillar problem. I just bought an US 07 335Xi E90 in Canada and the previous owner installed aftermarket angel eye halogens and housings. I drove the car home that night in a white out and the headlights are not exactly great. From what info I've found so far my car came with adaptive xenons. One symptom that I have that might explain your brights and is as a result of non adaptive lights being installed is no brights when stick is pushed back though the blue indicator comes on and stays on. I do however have brights when pulled forward and held. From what I've found this is because the pinout on the 7pin from adaptive headlights is slightly different from normal ones you can fix this by jumping wires. See thread I'll post if and when I figure out if the factory set he gave me with the car fix my problems and If i find any other info.
Appreciate 0