F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > 2010 Audi S4 vs. 2009 BMW 335i - comparison test
Studio RSR

11-17-2009, 02:57 PM   #45
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: '04 330i ZHP

Garage List
2004 BMW 330i ZHP  [9.50]
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeorge View Post
in rain i would take the S4. Have you ever driven one in rain? with that quattro you can floor it and still come out in control. If i did that in my 335i, then id be on the road in a ditch.
ummmm... it's called xdrive (or xi perviously)... same thing as quattro and from what I understand the xdrive system was more advanced in BMW's up until this new S4 because we still had the rear wheel bias until one of the tires loses grip.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2009, 03:33 PM   #46
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgeorge View Post
in rain i would take the S4. Have you ever driven one in rain? with that quattro you can floor it and still come out in control. If i did that in my 335i, then id be on the road in a ditch.
I never understood the mentality of Audi drivers that love to say "well I can still drive fast in the rain/snow". Don't know what posesses people to speed on a low friction surface. AWD can only help you so much dude. You hydroplane and you're done.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2009, 03:33 PM   #47
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
thats also true... plus a lot depends on what rubber you have on the car also.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2009, 03:35 PM   #48
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by footie View Post
Tell me, did you actually think about what you wrote before you clicked the 'Submit Reply' button.

The B6/7 S4 matched the then E46 M3 in output, and just prior to the end of production they introduced the RS4 with 420hp. It wasn't Audi moving the goal posts but BMW that did it, I suppose it was it was only a matter of time until BMW shifted it's attention from the S to the RS model. When they introduction the next M3 it upped the power to compete with the RS4 and caused shift to shift the next S4 down to compete with the 335i.

Currently the M3 is a better car than the RS4 but by equal measure the the S4 is a better car than the 335i.
This.^

It's a continuous game of 1-upsmanship. The E9X M3 was aimed at beating the B7 RS4. Audi has the B8 RS5 (and RS5 sportback) set to beat the E9X M3. Then the F30 M3 will be better. Then the B(9?) will be dominant. Rinse, repeat.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2009, 07:56 PM   #49
Guibo
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Automobile Magazine does a similar comparo. No Drive Select optioned on the S4. In summary:
  • Audi's base price higher, but equally optioned, it is slightly cheaper than BMW's offering.
  • Both are about equally fast in acceleration.
  • S4 handles just as well as 335i.
  • S4 has better body motion control over the worst bumps.
  • 335i has the better steering.
  • 335i has better rear headroom, better gearbox, more soulful engine note.
  • S4 has better styling inside and out.
http://www.automobilemag.com/feature..._s4/index.html
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2009, 09:00 PM   #50
shiggy
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 M3

geez guys...both cars are awesome.....some of things being debated on here are very subjective (ie: interior/exterior)....one must also consider that the S4 is brand new model...the 335i is several yrs old....the same debate will arise next yr when another comparo comes out putting up the new 335i against the same S4.......
BMW vs Audi
chevy vs ford
colgate vs crest
coke vs pepsi
every brand has its fans!
2009 Jet Black E92 M3, DCT, Nav, Novillo Leather, PDC, EDC, BBS CHR's 20", Yokohama Advan Sports Tires, Eiback Pro-Kit Springs, Dinan Pullies and Dinan Stage1 software, black grills, black side gills, alcantara shift and ebrake boot.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2009, 09:21 PM   #51
UdubBadger
Banned
No_Country
Rep

Garage List
2011 135i  [7.46]
2008 328xi  [8.76]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guibo View Post
Automobile Magazine does a similar comparo. No Drive Select optioned on the S4. In summary:
  • Audi's base price higher, but equally optioned, it is slightly cheaper than BMW's offering.
  • Both are about equally fast in acceleration.
  • S4 handles just as well as 335i.
  • S4 has better body motion control over the worst bumps.
  • 335i has the better steering.
  • 335i has better rear headroom, better gearbox, more soulful engine note.
  • S4 has better styling inside and out.
http://www.automobilemag.com/feature..._s4/index.html
Thats debatable on the outside... inside for sure but outside I think the BMW is much better looking.
Appreciate 0
      11-17-2009, 09:30 PM   #52
Belarus
Brigadier General
Canada
Rep
Drives: E93 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
its funny how many Audi fan boiz are posting on a BMW forum. it may boil down to the following reason's and ill see how this plays out....LOL
1) they are like an ugly fat kid wanna hang out with the cool kids.
2) Not enough Audi owners are enthusiastic with their purchase so their forum sucks.
3) their a bunch of fudge packin douchebags that troll around BMW, Mercedes and Porsche forums.
4) they realize that BMW owners are happier with their purchase more than they are and want to bring us down with them.
5) they are morons
6) they are a$$holes
7) they are lonely souls looking for company.
8) they are nervously happy that the S4 beat out the 335i in a comparo and not realizing the 335I has been out since 2007 and know that when the new model arrives next year....the S4 is going to get spanked....
so.........
LMAO...LUV funny posts ....

12.770 @ 112.81 mph||slip||JB4|FMIC|DPs|DCI|N54 DVs|ER CP|Koni FSD|Eibach-Pro|F Strut-bar|R Sway-bar|Hankooks V12|DPE SP16|BBK|15%Tint|CF Front Lip|CF Diffuser|M3 Spoiler|SmartTop|LUX AE|Debadged
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 09:29 AM   #53
EmPower
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 X5 xdrive 35i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkahtropolis View Post
I never understood the mentality of Audi drivers that love to say "well I can still drive fast in the rain/snow". Don't know what posesses people to speed on a low friction surface. AWD can only help you so much dude. You hydroplane and you're done.
I should know.. I have spun a C-class wagon 4-matic and a scooby. Mind you Scoobys make as good if not better 4-wheel drive systems as Audi, but then again Darwin needs to be amused ever so often!
19 Audi SQ5 (sold), 20 Audi S6 (sold),
22 Audi SQ5
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 10:56 AM   #54
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
The first run-on sentence is pretty accurate, but from there, this makes absolutely no sense (and I'm referring to content; I'd rather not touch the grammar).
seriously, are you saying you don't understand what he said?

I'd question your intellectual if you don't.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 11:01 AM   #55
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post

You can question my intellectual all you want.

I do understand what he said; I was just nicely calling it bullshit.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 11:01 AM   #56
graider
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nikkahtropolis View Post
exactly. AWD won't help you slow down. so if you think you can driver faster in snow/rain, good luck when it come to stopping.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 04:19 PM   #57
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
exactly. AWD won't help you slow down. so if you think you can driver faster in snow/rain, good luck when it come to stopping.
Technically that is wrong, AWD does help in slowing down through the form of engine braking, it's only that it's help is much much greater in accelerating.

The main difference between RWD and AWD is that it opens up so many more opportunities and options to the driver when it's slippery compared to RWD cars and what is recoverable. The main differences between them is the driving style require to get the best out of them.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 04:25 PM   #58
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Technically that is wrong, AWD does help in slowing down through the form of engine braking, it's only that it's help is much much greater in accelerating.
Please explain, I too happen to know a few things about car engineering as well. So proof and arguments. So please show me an awd car which significantly needs less m/ft to come to a standstill because of the awd system than its 2wd competitor. Which car/brand, I don't care.

I learn every day
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 04:36 PM   #59
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiggy View Post
its funny how many Audi fan boiz are posting on a BMW forum. it may boil down to the following reason's and ill see how this plays out....LOL
1) they are like an ugly fat kid wanna hang out with the cool kids.
2) Not enough Audi owners are enthusiastic with their purchase so their forum sucks.
3) their a bunch of fudge packin douchebags that troll around BMW, Mercedes and Porsche forums.
4) they realize that BMW owners are happier with their purchase more than they are and want to bring us down with them.
5) they are morons
6) they are a$$holes
7) they are lonely souls looking for company.
8) they are nervously happy that the S4 beat out the 335i in a comparo and not realizing the 335I has been out since 2007 and know that when the new model arrives next year....the S4 is going to get spanked....
so.........
ROFL

It's written a bit childish but there could be truth in that post.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 04:36 PM   #60
graider
Colonel
Rep

Quote:

The main difference between RWD and AWD is that it opens up so many more opportunities and options to the driver when it's slippery compared to RWD cars and what is recoverable. The main differences between them is the driving style require to get the best out of them.
engine braking is actually worse in slipping condition such as snow/rain. try downshift and let the engine brake while you are in snow, you are going to slide even further than just let off the gas slightly and brake slowly. that is speaking from my experience driving 6 months in heavy snow every year.

but like robin hood said, I failed to see how engine braking in AWD and RWD any different or help in snow/rain.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 04:42 PM   #61
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep

Quote:
engine braking is actually worse in slipping condition such as snow/rain. try downshift and let the engine brake while you are in snow, you are going to slide even further than just let off the gas slightly and brake slowly.
You are talking about shiftlock, I guess. A rwd car can lock its rear wheels and get you into problems(or you can use it in your favour), in a 4wd car the experience is not that severe(...). But why should you downshift? Just tap on the (abs) brakes as powerful as possible to come to a standstill or whatever when in danger.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 06:56 PM   #62
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep

Quote:

I'm going to question your intellect considering you're questioning something the other guy has and using an adjective to label it.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2009, 10:13 PM   #63
shiggy
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW 2009 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
ROFL

It's written a bit childish but there could be truth in that post.
childish???!!!.....I prefer immature!....LOL
2009 Jet Black E92 M3, DCT, Nav, Novillo Leather, PDC, EDC, BBS CHR's 20", Yokohama Advan Sports Tires, Eiback Pro-Kit Springs, Dinan Pullies and Dinan Stage1 software, black grills, black side gills, alcantara shift and ebrake boot.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 12:20 AM   #64
JerzeySux
UrMother
South Korea
Rep
Drives: 335xiE92

I drive a 335xi coupe and uncles drives the new v6 S4.

S4 is so much more refined. Im not a test driver so i dont really know but the feeling of the S4 is SOOO much more expensive like.IDK just the feeling or it And it was about 7G's more than my car not including the great BMW APR%.

I wanted the S4/S5 but couldnt afford the extra $ honestly but i think S4 is a step above the 335.
Just my 2cent.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 06:54 AM   #65
DFW_M
Major General
Rep
Drives: Macan GTS

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerzeySux View Post
I drive a 335xi coupe and uncles drives the new v6 S4.

S4 is so much more refined. Im not a test driver so i dont really know but the feeling of the S4 is SOOO much more expensive like.IDK just the feeling or it And it was about 7G's more than my car not including the great BMW APR%.

I wanted the S4/S5 but couldnt afford the extra $ honestly but i think S4 is a step above the 335.
Just my 2cent.
That is probably because it had the features your car does not even offer...

Apples for apples, the S4 is cheaper than the EQUALLY equipped BMW.
Base S4 (equals the 335xi + ZPP + ZSP + Cold pkg) = $45,900 MSRP
Equally Equipped 335XI MSRP is well over $47k.

So far, I love the reinement of the S4, immediate kick when you step on it. The TT in the 335 did greatly improve the turbo lag, but, to be honest, it is still there and will always be there with ANY turbo.

But as someone pointed out -- the next gen of the 335 should beat this S4, then the next gen of S4 and so on...it's been going on for years and it will continue...
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2009, 08:53 AM   #66
footie
Major General
Rep
Drives: i5M60

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Hood View Post
Please explain, I too happen to know a few things about car engineering as well. So proof and arguments. So please show me an awd car which significantly needs less m/ft to come to a standstill because of the awd system than its 2wd competitor. Which car/brand, I don't care.

I learn every day
In ideal conditions there shouldn't be any benefit, probably the opposite as AWD adds weight. But I was talking about snow where ABS does little to help (yes strange as it might sound) and in any case if you have gone to the point where you brakes are locked up then you have gone past the point of engine braking.

Back to EB, using all four contact patches to slow the car is obviously better than just two but it goes beyond that, it also lessens the possibility of locking up the wheels using this process which can happen in rwd cars and usually places the driver and car to be out of control, you say it can be used to help, I say quite the opposite, once the tail is gone it's usually gone for good in the snow.

Next is recovery, rwd is recoverable up to about 35~40 degree but most awd systems allow the recovery angle to increase to almost 80 degree, simply because the power can be shifted to the front wheels to pull the car straight again. That is why I say in the snow the range of options open to the awd driver is vastly greater but only with some experience and training.
Appreciate 0