Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > How long should winter tires last?

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

12-02-2013, 08:51 PM   #1
chubb87
Rep
Drives: Audi A4 & BMW X5

How long should winter tires last?

I just put on my winter wheels for this year. They're getting near the wear bars, but I think I might be able to get another season out of them.

This will be the forth season for my Pirelli's.

How many seasons should winter tires last?

I think 4 seasons is pretty good, I'm very diligent with making sure I rotate them properly from year to year.

I use these tire storage tags to keep organized. They're from tire-tags.com if anyone is interested.

Appreciate 0
      12-02-2013, 10:19 PM   #2
floydarogers
Curmudgeon and Pedant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335d, 2014 328d

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubb87 View Post
I just put on my winter wheels for this year. They're getting near the wear bars, but I think I might be able to get another season out of them.

This will be the forth season for my Pirelli's.

How many seasons should winter tires last?

I think 4 seasons is pretty good, I'm very diligent with making sure I rotate them properly from year to year....
Getting pretty close... In WA state (and probably others), a Traction Tire (snow tire) must have 1/8", or 4/32" tread. That's twice the depth of the wear bar. Tirerack recommends 6/32". Some tires have a "snow" wear bar that indicates you've run out of the low-temperature pliable tread layer.
Appreciate 0