F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Choosing 335i over M3
Extreme Powerhouse

07-21-2008, 09:09 PM   #1
Schweitzer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 CP

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Choosing 335i over M3

My first experience with BMW was an '06 330i, which I quickly traded up for an '07 335i, which I've had for almost two years. And aside from being separated from it for close to four months last year waiting for a high pressure fuel pump, I've enjoyed this car so much. This time around I thought I'd go for the M3, but on test drive I discovered, at least on first impression, that it's not for me. I hadn't driven a manual in quite a while, and stalling out next to a Honda Civic at green light at an intersection was a bit demoralizing. But aside from that, the M felt so much different to me, really stiff.

The car looks hot. No question. And I thought the test drive would merely confirm my desire to have it. Mind you, I'm not a track driver, just a Southern California L.A. traffic mostly freeway driver who enjoys driving fast when traffic occasionally allows. But the M3 felt heavy to me, not as nimble, and I kept wondering if I'd adapt to the transmission, especially having to flutter the clutch on my 30 minute daily crawl on the freeway to and from work. I liked the sound of the engine, but the big hump on the hood, which I think looks great from the outside, from the inside made the car look pregnant. And the acceleration wasn't startling to me. It felt like the difference must be more apparent at higher speeds.

So I was disappointed, I guess more in myself than in the car, because by most accounts I should have been thrilled to be getting an M3, and I really thought the test drive would be quite exhilarating. But ultimately I chose to stick with the same model and am getting an '08 335i coupe, this time with nav and Style 230 wheels, same color inside and out. I think I'll be very happy with that for a couple years, and hopefully 2010 will bring about a nice cosmetic refresh on the coupe.

Am I making the wrong decision to stay with the 335i rather than the M3? Should I drive it again? I need perspective

EDIT: Let me just add that my post in no way implies that the M3 is not superior. Rather, my driving skill is what lacks. I guess the point of my post is really just the surprise at myself for not being up to it.

Last edited by Schweitzer; 07-21-2008 at 09:41 PM..
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 09:27 PM   #2
lebreeze
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 18’c63s,15’macanturbo,14’ 991s

Garage List
2008 e92 m3  [0.00]
here we go
      07-21-2008, 09:44 PM   #3
kyoko
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: F80, G01

Garage List
2017 BMW M3  [0.00]
2018 X3 M40i  [0.00]
Sounds like you already made your decision and the 335 fits your lifestyle just right!

If you haven't driven manual in a while, you can practice some and then give it another whirl... OR see if they have an M3 with MDCT.

I think the most important thing is which one gives you the most driving satisfaction! Both are good cars, you can't go wrong...
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 10:12 PM   #4
UltimateBMW
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: MP4

The answer that you are probably looking for lies in the RPMs. The M3 is very average from what I've heard until you start to top 5k+. Since the redline is 8.4k~ish there is plenty of play room at the top end, but you really have to ring the car out to harness it. Also, because of the power being so high up in the rev band you won't feel the strong G's during acceleration. At least not right off the bat, so you won't get the toned down whiplash.

My advise, if you really want an accurate reading of the M3 is to go back for another test drive. (pleaase make sure the car you test is over 1200 miles and done with it's break in) In this 2nd test drive, you need to explore the upper ends of the tachometer a bit more. The M3 follows of the philosophy, "The more you put into it, the more you get out of it." Aka, the harder you push the car, the higher the revs go, and the faster it will become. So go back and pay much more attention to the RPMs.

Please remember to be safe though. Its just a car, and has it's limits like any other.
      07-21-2008, 11:12 PM   #5
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
stick with 335.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 11:34 PM   #6
Davinhci
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 E92 & 08 E70 X5 4.8

Garage List
2008 M3  [0.00]
335, M3 not for you

08 E92 AW M3 | HRE P40 19" | APE Air Filter | BMW Performance Grills | White Side Gills | CF Mirror Covers | BMW Performance Pedals | F1 Pinnacle Tint | V1 Hardwire | Dinan Performance Software | Gintani Exhaust | H&R Sports Springs | RPI Scoops | BMW CF Spoiler | Challenge Diffuser | Lux H8 V3 | LCI Tail Lights |
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 11:51 PM   #7
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

I'd give a nut for that V8.
Appreciate 0
      07-21-2008, 11:54 PM   #8
skierman64
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92M3-E46M3-E46Wagon-E89Z4-E36

Garage List
1994 325is Race Car  [0.00]
2011 BMW Z4  [0.00]
1998 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
2008 M3 Coupe  [0.00]
Sounds like the OP make the correct choice.
      07-22-2008, 12:10 AM   #9
GolfNut
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, E92 335

We currently have both, although our 335 is chipped, and they are such different cars. The 335 is very easy to drive fast. It has a lot of usable power and torque down low. The power is instantaneous. Hit the gas and the car goes. It pulls hard from 2000 RPM to 5500 RPM and then seems to run out of steam.

I agree with UltimateBMW regarding the M.

The M3 needs to be wound up to release its true power. You really need to hit the high rpms and stay in them to feel its power. The roar of the V8 and the power above 5000 RPMs is exhilerating. The engine and speed just keep building to redline. The car takes on its true personality. It is a car that wants to be driven hard and thus it is an absolute thrill to drive hard.

Based on what you're saying and traffic conditions there. I think you've made the proper choice and the 335 is the right car for your situation. Although before giving up on the M3, I think you should do yourself a favor and try to find a used M3 with some miles on it, take it out for an extended test drive, and push it towards the redline to truly understand the car. Be safe, as the speed builds quickly at the higher RPMs.

Our M3 is for the weekends and road trips, while the 335 is my DD. They both are great at what they do.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 12:10 AM   #10
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweitzer View Post
.....M felt so much different to me, really stiff........but the M3 felt heavy to me, not as nimble, and ......And the acceleration wasn't startling to me. It felt like the difference must be more apparent at higher speeds. So I was disappointed, .....Am I making the wrong decision to stay with the 335i rather than the M3? Should I drive it again? I need perspective

EDIT: Let me just add that my post in no way implies that the M3 is not superior. Rather, my driving skill is what lacks. I guess the point of my post is really just the surprise at myself for not being up to it.
First off I think you should stick to the 335i. You say that your post doesn't imply that the M3 is not superiour and you are right. You outright say it, NOT imply it, when you make statements like; it feels "heavy", "not as nimble" and the fact that you were oh so unimpressed with the exceleration....THOSE ARE ALL NEGATIVE COMMENTS about the M3! Let me rephrase what you should be saying... The steering feels heavier and more conected to the road, unlike the numb/wet noodle feeling of other cars. This translates into a much more direct/nimle steering feel. The excelleration pulls strong and so smooth from 3000-8200 that it almost feels uneventful because of the lack of drama & huge power the V8 delivers effortlessly. This car is fast.(PERIOD!)
For those that are tired of these threads just watch this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r31eV...d.php?t=220808
[u2b]r31eVKNtNoc&eurl[/u2b]
      07-22-2008, 12:51 AM   #11
Schweitzer
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 M5 CP

Garage List
2007 335i Coupe  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ///Metak View Post
First off I think you should stick to the 335i. You say that your post doesn't imply that the M3 is not superiour and you are right. You outright say it, NOT imply it, when you make statements like; it feels "heavy", "not as nimble" and the fact that you were oh so unimpressed with the exceleration....THOSE ARE ALL NEGATIVE COMMENTS about the M3! Let me rephrase what you should be saying... The steering feels heavier and more conected to the road, unlike the numb/wet noodle feeling of other cars. This translates into a much more direct/nimle steering feel. The excelleration pulls strong and so smooth from 3000-8200 that it almost feels uneventful because of the lack of drama & huge power the V8 delivers effortlessly. This car is fast.(PERIOD!)
I didn't mean to sound that way. Please forgive my bad choice of words. Reading it back, I sound obtuse. I know the M3 is a magnificent machine and clearly in an altogether different dimension. My description of my test drive was inarticulate, because I just don't have the driving acumen at the M level to have experienced the car as it should be, and also because they are such different cars to drive and having never driven an M car...it's kind of like being a novice wine drinker and trying to describe an exotic bottle.
Anyway, my test drive was brief and there was traffic, and I am not familiar with the handling settings next to the shifter, and the car had less than 5 miles on it. If I go the M route, I first need to learn how to drive in the manner that I can appreciate its capacity.
      07-22-2008, 03:03 AM   #12
VDPHB
Private
Rep
Drives: 2016 F30 340i

Hey Schweitzer - I don't think you need to apologize for your wording....you are entitled to your opinions and you were using your 335i, your level of driving skill, and your driving environment as a point of reference. I didn't think your intention was to disparage the M3 at all, especially since you owned up to your observation that it might be more than what you personally want or need and that the M3 is a superior car, albeit in a different environment or for a different driver. I read your post as a sincere expression of what you thought were your shortcomings in not being able to exploit or maybe appreciate what the M3 has to offer and not one that sought to negatively speak of the M3.

Metak - Speaking from experience with your previous postings here and what seems to be a pattern in your MO, I think you're being a little critical in picking apart what are Schweitzer's subjective thoughts and opinions based on his point of reference and experience. IMHO, while your intentions seem to be noble, you are being overly critical of his words and tell him how you think he should say things. In fact, he even states that he is more disappointed in himself than the M3. Perhaps you should correct your own errors before trying to correct what you believe to be others'. For example, I didn't think nimble is spelled "nimle" or that acceleration is spelled "exceleration" or "excelleration" .

Furthermore, before you accuse me of being a 335i owner coming to the defense of another 335i owner (which you've done before) or trying to justify my purchase of a 335i, note I am not expressing my opinion on either vehicle, just what I see as someone trying to superimpose their words onto someone else's. This wasn't an article from Car and Driver, Road and Track, Motor Trend, Automobile, Top Gear, Autoweek, Car, or any other publication. This was one person taking their time to share with us their impressions after driving an M3 utilizing their personal perspective and experience.

Everyone else - Sorry for expressing my opinion here, I just feel for and sympathize with anyone that posts their subjective opinion only to have others jump in and try to put words in their mouths or criticize them for their thoughts, although I completely realize I am doing it here. I don't mean to but I just had to speak my mind.

Last edited by VDPHB; 07-22-2008 at 03:29 AM..
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 06:48 AM   #13
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by GolfNut View Post
We currently have both, although our 335 is chipped, and they are such different cars. The 335 is very easy to drive fast. It has a lot of usable power and torque down low. The power is instantaneous. Hit the gas and the car goes. It pulls hard from 2000 RPM to 5500 RPM and then seems to run out of steam.

I agree with UltimateBMW regarding the M.

The M3 needs to be wound up to release its true power. You really need to hit the high rpms and stay in them to feel its power. The roar of the V8 and the power above 5000 RPMs is exhilerating. The engine and speed just keep building to redline. The car takes on its true personality. It is a car that wants to be driven hard and thus it is an absolute thrill to drive hard.

Based on what you're saying and traffic conditions there. I think you've made the proper choice and the 335 is the right car for your situation. Although before giving up on the M3, I think you should do yourself a favor and try to find a used M3 with some miles on it, take it out for an extended test drive, and push it towards the redline to truly understand the car. Be safe, as the speed builds quickly at the higher RPMs.

Our M3 is for the weekends and road trips, while the 335 is my DD. They both are great at what they do.
What was your logic in choosing the M3 vert?
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 06:52 AM   #14
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schweitzer View Post
Am I making the wrong decision to stay with the 335i rather than the M3? Should I drive it again? I need perspective

There is no doubt that the M3 is superior. Nothing wrong with choosing a 335 over a M3, its your choice.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 11:25 AM   #15
Skeptikal12
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: none

I own a 335 and have driven the M3. The M3 is superior in terms of feel, cornering ability and overall speed. Although its interior is very similar, it feels of slightly higher quality (trim/steering wheel/shifter) as well. Having said that, I also wasn't surprised that I didn't feel quite the same push as I do from the 335, when accelerating - and I think thats what throws people off when they compare acceleration feel.

It's hard to enjoy these cars at open throttle without being on a track, so for the purposes of a DD (and for a person on a budget) the 335 is plenty.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 11:30 AM   #16
mPlasticDesign
Major General
Rep
Drives: BMW 230i Msport w/LSD
Location: Astral Projecting: ∞ 23.516 -122 02.625 0242.101 ĕv'rē-hwâr'

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by VDPHB View Post
....Metak - Speaking from experience with your previous postings here and what seems to be a pattern in your MO, I think you're being a little critical in picking apart what are Schweitzer's subjective thoughts and opinions based on his point of reference and experience. IMHO, while your intentions seem to be noble, you are being overly critical of his words and tell him how you think he should say things. In fact, he even states that he is more disappointed in himself than the M3. Perhaps you should correct your own errors before trying to correct what you believe to be others'. For example, I didn't think nimble is spelled "nimle" or that acceleration is spelled"exceleration" or "excelleration" ....
Pattern? Please, get a life and stop spell checking my posts. I would hardly consider 2 posts(including this one) in which I respond to threads I don't agree with. The other thread just happens to be yours, in which you described your preference for the 335i over the M5. Get over your inferiority complex and enjoy all cars. Be an enthusiast like you keep advising everyone else to be.
      07-22-2008, 01:49 PM   #17
Brunotheboxer
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 Shelby GT500.

buy what you like. i like the M3 better but will probably get an E92 335 in a couple of years because i wouldn't spend that much on a car(M3) and don't want an M3 for a d.d.

"...I maybe drunk, but you're ugly, and I can sober up..."
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2008, 10:39 PM   #18
vAnt826
Major
Rep

Stick with the 3 series. The M3 is definitely not for you.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 11:31 AM   #19
OBI_agent
D to the X to the B!
United Arab Emirates
Rep
Drives: ABS,American bargain supercar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
I'd give a nut for that V8.
Man, I think you have ran out of nuts......I saw you offering one in another thread so...stop lieing
      07-23-2008, 11:36 AM   #20
Year's_End
Lieutenant General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 Shelby GT350

Quote:
Originally Posted by OBI_agent View Post
Man, I think you have ran out of nuts......I saw you offering one in another thread so...stop lieing
Man, good memory.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 11:39 AM   #21
!Xoible
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: ....

Garage List
2008 M3  [4.00]
2007 335i  [9.00]
2008 528i  [8.00]
2006 Infiniti - G35 ...  [8.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by OBI_agent View Post
he had 11 of em
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2008, 11:41 AM   #22
Crimson92
Smiling Politely
United_States
Rep
Drives: Like a boss

335 sounds like the better choice for you