XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum

TireRack

Go Back   XBimmers.com | BMW X6 Forum X5 Forum > BMW X6 Forums > General BMW X6 and X6M Forum

11-15-2013, 12:50 PM   #1
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2016 BMW 328i F30

Garage List
LED Headlights retrofit, why replace nozzles

Does anyone know, why is it a requirement to replace high pressure sprayer nozzle with LED headlight retrofit? Also, what are the correct part numbers for left and right nozzle, which will work properly with new LED headlights on 2011 X6M? These are the part numbers I was able to obtain from the dealership, they were not 100% sure that these are correct nozzles either:

61-67-7-308-525
61-67-7-308-526
Appreciate 0
      11-15-2013, 06:54 PM   #2
denaliman
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2021 BMW X6M Competition

Garage List
2013 X6M  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by igorbmwx6 View Post
Does anyone know, why is it a requirement to replace high pressure sprayer nozzle with LED headlight retrofit? Also, what are the correct part numbers for left and right nozzle, which will work properly with new LED headlights on 2011 X6M? These are the part numbers I was able to obtain from the dealership, they were not 100% sure that these are correct nozzles either:

61-67-7-308-525
61-67-7-308-526
Check the part numbers with realoem.com

Appreciate 0
      11-16-2013, 06:51 AM   #3
aman27
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2016 F15 x35i MSport

Looking into doing this as well when i get mg car.

How much are they charging you ?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 11:01 AM   #4
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by aman27 View Post
Looking into doing this as well when i get mg car.

How much are they charging you ?
I asked my service representative at BMW service center and he told me that they are NOT going to do this LED headlights retrofit. No matter how much money I pay them to do it. I am planning to do it myself.

Just wondering why the spray nozzles have to be replaced and what are the correct part number for the replacement units.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 11:05 AM   #5
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by denaliman View Post
Check the part numbers with realoem.com
These part numbers are from realoem.com. My question is what is the correct part# that will work with LED headlights. I am planning to do the retrofit and in the instructions it is talking about replacing spray nozzles. Not sure that the correct replacement part# is.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 11:07 AM   #6
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Hare are the LED retrofit instructions:
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Manual_X5X6LED.pdf (508.3 KB, 588 views)
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 12:57 PM   #7
Roychimac
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep
Drives: 15 YMB F80

From what I hear from other's that have done this - you do NOT need to replace the sprayers. Just a ploy for you to spend more doe courtesy of your friends at BMW.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 03:37 PM   #8
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roychimac View Post
From what I hear from other's that have done this - you do NOT need to replace the sprayers. Just a ploy for you to spend more doe courtesy of your friends at BMW.
Why would it then be included as part of the official LED headlight retrofit instruction from BMW ?
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 05:29 PM   #9
Roychimac
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

As mentioned in my previous post - they only want your $$$.
Appreciate 0
      11-18-2013, 06:10 PM   #10
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
As mentioned in my previous post - they only want your $$$.
Thank you for pointing this out and I hope that you are correct. I would hate to have to take it all apart and find out that I do not have a correct set of spray nozzles ...
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 12:29 AM   #11
Roychimac
Second Lieutenant
Canada
Rep

Well you'll still have to do your homework. All I'm speaking out of are things I've heard from others who have done this retrofit install. They said "you do not need to change the nozzles". So take it for what it's worth.
Appreciate 0
      11-20-2013, 06:20 AM   #12
makdeniss
Lord Vader
Estonia
Rep
Drives: BMW 730Ld

I can explain.

The reason BMW wants you to change these, is that XENON bulb is only on the outer side of the light, meaning that certain pattern of spray pressure is directed to the outer part of the headlight and the rest of it.
With LED lights BOTH outer and inner "bulbs" give light, meaning that a different pattern of spray pressure has to be applied on both parts of the headlight - outer and inner.

You can of course ignore the change, but it is unknown how this will affect your safety on the road, meaning driving in "dirt" conditions.

Hopefully this explains it a bit
      11-20-2013, 10:38 AM   #13
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by makdeniss View Post
I can explain.

The reason BMW wants you to change these, is that XENON bulb is only on the outer side of the light, meaning that certain pattern of spray pressure is directed to the outer part of the headlight and the rest of it.
With LED lights BOTH outer and inner "bulbs" give light, meaning that a different pattern of spray pressure has to be applied on both parts of the headlight - outer and inner.

You can of course ignore the change, but it is unknown how this will affect your safety on the road, meaning driving in "dirt" conditions.

Now this explains it. Thank you for taking the time to write up this detailed explanation! Now the question is, what are the correct spray nozzle part numbers for LED versions? At approximately $75-$80 per unit, I am now not sure if I even want to replace them, considering that there is not much of a difference between the LED and Xenon versions of the spray nozzles
Appreciate 0
      11-21-2013, 06:05 AM   #14
makdeniss
Lord Vader
Estonia
Rep

Quote:
Now this explains it. Thank you for taking the time to write up this detailed explanation! Now the question is, what are the correct spray nozzle part numbers for LED versions? At approximately $75-$80 per unit, I am now not sure if I even want to replace them, considering that there is not much of a difference between the LED and Xenon versions of the spray nozzles
I cannot find the correct part #. You have to ask your dealer to give them from the car that has LED lights. BTW, this whole retrofit is DIY.
      11-21-2013, 11:09 AM   #15
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I cannot find the correct part #. You have to ask your dealer to give them from the car that has LED lights. BTW, this whole retrofit is DIY.
I am planning to do this retrofit myself, as time and local weather permits. Hopefully one day would be enough time to get it done from start to end, including coding FRM-3 module at the end. Did you do this retrofit? What should I watch out for? When I run the new LED wire harness, at what places for it enter and exit the cabin and engine compartment on both left and right hand sides?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2013, 02:23 AM   #16
makdeniss
Lord Vader
Estonia
Rep

Quote:
I am planning to do this retrofit myself, as time and local weather permits. Hopefully one day would be enough time to get it done from start to end, including coding FRM-3 module at the end. Did you do this retrofit? What should I watch out for? When I run the new LED wire harness, at what places for it enter and exit the cabin and engine compartment on both left and right hand sides?
I didn't do it myself, but it isn't hard. You just have to stick to the instructions, which are a bit dull in informatory terms. You will run the wires only through one side - the drivers, but that is also covered in instructions.
      12-07-2013, 09:40 AM   #17
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I didn't do it myself, but it isn't hard. You just have to stick to the instructions, which are a bit dull in informatory terms. You will run the wires only through one side - the drivers, but that is also covered in instructions.
If you read the instructions carefully, harness wire enters engine compartment in two places, one on the left side and one on the right side. My question is where? (see attached instructions)
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Manual_X5X6LED.pdf (508.3 KB, 293 views)
Appreciate 0
      12-10-2013, 04:35 AM   #18
makdeniss
Lord Vader
Estonia
Rep

I have to check.
      04-12-2015, 12:06 AM   #19
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
Well I have learned that you actually do have to replace the sprayers. Once LED headlight are installed, old sprayers will be spraying your hood instead of your headlights. I managed to just replace the sprayer tips, leaving the rest of the sprayers in place. This is a much simpler job vs replacing the whole sprayer unit. Since the new sprayer tips have a different angle and design, washer fluid is now directed at the LED headlight rather than spraying all over the hood, as with original (old) units.
Appreciate 0
      04-12-2015, 12:11 AM   #20
igorbmwx6
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Quote:
I can explain.

Well, I found out that there is another reason why one would want to change sprayers together with LED light retrofit. If you keep your original sprayers and install LED light, every time they turn on, your hood will be spayed instead of your headlights. Newer sprayers have different tips, pointing directly at LED lights instead of your hood. I was able to replace just the tips. Much easier DIY ...
Appreciate 0