E90Post

TNT Racewerks

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N54 Turbo Engine / Drivetrain / Exhaust Modifications - 335i > Dealer labor for SSK install?

03-22-2010, 09:19 AM   #1
TurboSpecC
Bavarian Wolverine
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 428 Gran Coupe

Dealer labor for SSK install?

I was quoted on the phone for 1.5 hrs of labor to install the BMW Performance SSK I purchased through the dealer, and again when I dropped my car off for the install. An hour after I dropped it off I got a call saying it would actually be 3 hrs of labor since they had to remove the exhaust to do the install, and they asked if I still wanted to go through with it. I said yes since I had already scheduled the appointment and dropped off the car, and figured the only alternative would be to call a dealer in a nearby city and get another quote...

Granted they don't install SSKs everyday, does it make sense they would not factor in an extra 1.5 hrs of labor when quoting me the original price?
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 09:26 AM   #2
Kevin@AKMotorwerk
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: THE GUY YOU LOVE TO HATE

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboSpecC View Post
I was quoted on the phone for 1.5 hrs of labor to install the BMW Performance SSK I purchased through the dealer, and again when I dropped my car off for the install. An hour after I dropped it off I got a call saying it would actually be 3 hrs of labor since they had to remove the exhaust to do the install, and they asked if I still wanted to go through with it. I said yes since I had already scheduled the appointment and dropped off the car, and figured the only alternative would be to call a dealer in a nearby city and get another quote...

Granted they don't install SSKs everyday, does it make sense they would not factor in an extra 1.5 hrs of labor when quoting me the original price?
you dont need to remove the exhaust, sure it makes it easier, but its not necessary, plus it only takes half hour to remove the exhaust anyway, unless you have a ton of miles and the dp bolts are rusted
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 09:35 AM   #3
TurboSpecC
Bavarian Wolverine
United_States
Rep

24,000 miles on the car. On BMW USAs website I selected an 07 335i and my dealership and they had an installed price of $648.28 which of course they said was subject to change, but that would be an estimate of $250 in labor which would be a little over 2 hours of labor.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 09:59 AM   #4
LKNGOOD
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i w/6sp manual.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboSpecC View Post

I was quoted $500 in labor to install my True BMW OEM SSK for the 335i from the dealership. Luckily I was able to talk to the CPO Technician and worked out a $200 on the side job.

Just got it installed this weekend. Took him about 3hrs total to install and this is including replacing the Shifting Arm which I hear is a real pain to take out.

On a side note - does your lever now sit about an inch or so to the right while in neutral?

Mine is still center (Vertically - Up/Down) but horizontally it's leaning to the right about an inch or so - which makes shifting into 1st and 2nd feel like shifting into 3rd and 4th with the original shifter.

Also - do you like it that way? I'm still 50/50 on whether I like it or not. Not sure why because the shifting is a lot funner now. Guess I'll give it a week and see.

FYI: There's a great DIY write-up in the DYI section for this mod but it never discuss how to change the shifting arm which is required if you want a true SSK for the 335i.

Thanks,
Mike
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 10:17 AM   #5
rault18
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 06 330i

damn thats a lot of money for a couple hours of work...isnt there a DIY for it..i mean it cant be THAT complicated
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 10:18 AM   #6
kred
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 e92 328i 6mt

its not bad at all, i did it in 45 minutes with one other persons help and that was with being held up for about 20 minutes trying to get this damn clip out cuz it was stuck
      03-22-2010, 10:20 AM   #7
kyleb350
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 X3MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKNGOOD View Post

On a side note - does your lever now sit about an inch or so to the right while in neutral?
I believe that is a sign that the shifter arm was installed backwards.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 10:22 AM   #8
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330xi, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by LKNGOOD View Post
I was quoted $500 in labor to install my True BMW OEM SSK for the 335i from the dealership. Luckily I was able to talk to the CPO Technician and worked out a $200 on the side job.

Just got it installed this weekend. Took him about 3hrs total to install and this is including replacing the Shifting Arm which I hear is a real pain to take out.

Mine is still center (Vertically - Up/Down) but horizontally it's leaning to the right about an inch or so - which makes shifting into 1st and 2nd feel like shifting into 3rd and 4th with the original shifter.

Also - do you like it that way? I'm still 50/50 on whether I like it or not. Not sure why because the shifting is a lot funner now. Guess I'll give it a week and see.

Could someone clarify? The off-center neutral position is something that might be unusual.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 11:36 AM   #9
TurboSpecC
Bavarian Wolverine
United_States
Rep

Lets not turn this into a you-shoulda-done-it-yourself thread. So 3 hours isn't necessarily ridiculous.
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 11:37 AM   #10
LKNGOOD
Private
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyleb350 View Post
I believe that is a sign that the shifter arm was installed backwards.
Don't know how that's possible. Based on the image of the shifting arm - there's really only one way to install it.

Now if the shifting lever was installed backwards - then it should be pointing by 6th gear in neutral.

Look at comment #10

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts...83&hg=25&fg=95

Just took a look at the shifting lever and it's on backwards. The bend/kink is bending the opposite direction.

Will get it fixed tomorrow and post my results.

Last edited by LKNGOOD; 03-22-2010 at 09:31 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-22-2010, 04:33 PM   #11
TurboSpecC
Bavarian Wolverine
United_States
Rep

Well it took about 30 minutes to get everything straightened out when I picked up the car, but after my SA spoke to HQ I was given the original price quoted. My SA had no idea where the $648 installed number on BMW USA's website came from, and it sounds like it really did require 3 hours of labor. Glad my dealership was helpful even if it took a while to get things ironed out... wag of the finger to BMW USA for confusing things, tip of the hat to BMW USA for ultimately getting me a lower price.

The SSK itself is fantastic. The alcantara/metal combo looks very classy and the shifts are much shorter and more direct. My previous car was a WRX STI with a short throw shift kit so moving to the BMW felt like a huge step backwards in terms of shift feel. I have no idea why BMW doesn't include it in the sports package, or why even the M3 has a similar, sloppy-feeling stock shifter! I had heard mixed things about the UUC unit and decided to just go OEM for peace of mind. I'll take some pics in the next few days!
Appreciate 0
      03-23-2010, 12:50 PM   #12
LKNGOOD
Private
Rep

FYI - I just had the CPO Tech re-install my Shifter Kit. Had him rotate it 180 degrees.

All is golden now. For anyone that has the TRUE BMW SSK for the 335i - make sure the shift lever is install correctly.

At Neutral - it needs to be dead center both veritcally and horizontally. Mine was leaning to the right and turns out it was on backwards.

All is Golden Now. Time to take the Long way home
Appreciate 0