F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > contents toolkit
Extreme Powerhouse

11-18-2011, 08:14 PM   #1
bvp95p
Rep
Drives: x1 sdrive18i

contents toolkit

hi all - just wondering how many pieces of tools that comes in the toolkit bag located underneath the boot panel. the toolkit bag has 4 compartment but there's only 3 pieces:
- 1 x screwdriver
- 1 x nut/bolt for wheel rim
- 1 metal rod that appears to me is for towing purposes.

Is this the same contents in your toolkit bag ?
Appreciate 0
      11-22-2011, 09:24 AM   #2
inmyhumbleopinion
Registered
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW E92 320d Alpine white

Toolkit

Every toolkit has the towing eye. This screws into a robust part of the steel bodyshell, either at the front or also at the rear of the car. Both (plastic) "bumpers" have a small removable square plastic panel which have to be removed (hence the need of a smallscrewdriver in the toolkit) in order to access the threaded hole into which the towing eye must be screwed.

The towing eye is the best method for dragging the car, e.g. out of the ditch by the emergency services, or alternatively if you need to tow another car with a tow rope.

The toolkit also has a place to keep the (unique to your car) security nut (for the alloy roadwheels) in a safe and handy place.

If your car has an (optional extra) sunshine/moon roof, it is possible one day that the electric motor could fail to close it, in which case the interior would be ruined by heavy rain. You need to buy a "Z" shaped hexagon allen key to turn this motor by hand in an emergency. There is a place to store this in the toolkit.

The final space in the toolkit is there to hold one very short open ended spanner, but I don't think my Owner's Manual says what this is for. This little spanner may have been used on the early E90 / 92.

This car is one of BMW's cheapest/simplest/reliable but it is still much too sophisticated to repair for most owners without a comprehensive set of tools+diagnostic computers+training in depth. BMW give the car a 3 year warranty which includes rescue and is cheap to extend.
Appreciate 0