E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Powertrain and Drivetrain Discussions > N55 Turbo Engine Tuning and Exhaust Modifications - 335i Tuning > 2012 335i DCT "soft launching" and Procede v5?

09-12-2012, 04:37 PM   #1
Decorum
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 2012

2012 335i DCT "soft launching" and Procede v5?

I'm thinking about getting a Procede and want to check on something with you guys before I seal the deal.

The DCT has a particular "hidden" feature that I've grown quite fond of:

Instead of using launch control to launch the car full blast, one can actually from a standstill slam the throttle (to the kickdown point) with all systems in normal mode (DCT in normal automatic D mode, sport mode off, DTC/DSC fully active) and the engine will rev to about 3000-4000 rpm before engaging the clutch swiftly but smoothly for a very nice controlled launch with minimal wheel spin. I believe you can in fact have the DCT in either D or S mode and the sport button on or off according to your preference, and this will still work.

I actually like this much better than the rather violent and conspicuous launch control feature, and I think it's a smart and creative use of the kickdown switch in combination with a DCT box!

So I was just wondering, since the Procede modifies the DCT shift logic in various ways, would this feature still work with the Procede?
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2012, 08:47 PM   #2
Kalud
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: e92 335i

Cool stuff, didn't know that (but I drive a 6mt)

The Procede doesn't change anything about the shift logic as it has no direct control on the dct. But it does remove torque to ease shifts (remove timing briefly)
Appreciate 0
      09-13-2012, 04:36 AM   #3
Vtec Abuser
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2012 135i DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Decorum View Post
I'm thinking about getting a Procede and want to check on something with you guys before I seal the deal.

The DCT has a particular "hidden" feature that I've grown quite fond of:

Instead of using launch control to launch the car full blast, one can actually from a standstill slam the throttle (to the kickdown point) with all systems in normal mode (DCT in normal automatic D mode, sport mode off, DTC/DSC fully active) and the engine will rev to about 3000-4000 rpm before engaging the clutch swiftly but smoothly for a very nice controlled launch with minimal wheel spin. I believe you can in fact have the DCT in either D or S mode and the sport button on or off according to your preference, and this will still work.

I actually like this much better than the rather violent and conspicuous launch control feature, and I think it's a smart and creative use of the kickdown switch in combination with a DCT box!

So I was just wondering, since the Procede modifies the DCT shift logic in various ways, would this feature still work with the Procede?
There are a few different 'DIY' methods for alternative launching to the standard LC feature (which is crap IMO). I have one of my own that I have discovered..

http://www.1addicts.com/forums/showt...launch+control

One thing that does concern me about your method though, especially when you add proceded/more power - do you have DTC traction/stability control on/off etc?
I would of thought that on any road that isn't smoother than a baby's arse cheek, it would cause them too interfere with the fun if turned on - especially when modded (something that the stock LC system fails on massively when modded, as you can't use it with everything off ).
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2012, 08:15 AM   #4
Decorum
Rep
Drives: E92 335i 2012

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vtec Abuser View Post
One thing that does concern me about your method though, especially when you add proceded/more power - do you have DTC traction/stability control on/off etc?
I would of thought that on any road that isn't smoother than a baby's arse cheek, it would cause them too interfere with the fun if turned on - especially when modded (something that the stock LC system fails on massively when modded, as you can't use it with everything off ).
It actually works regardless of the DTC setting. The result is different but the feature is there.

From reading your post, the 335 seems to differ from the 135 in a few ways.

For one, my LC "works" regardless of whether I have DTC in play mode or completely off. I say works in quotation marks because with the DTC off the LC is basically little more than a very efficient way to burn rubber.
Appreciate 0