F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Horsepower and luxury wars.
ARMA SPEED

12-29-2008, 03:43 AM   #1
jhcao1472
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Horsepower and luxury wars.

I did a search on this topic, but it did not turn up any results. Anyways, I noticed that a lot car makers like Hyundai, Honda, Toyota, etc. are making stronger cars with 250+hp, offering standard leather seats and cost less than a entry level 3-series. Also, Honda makes car that handles very well. What makes BMW different from those cars? Dont flame me for having this thought.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 04:06 AM   #2
chrisE92
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: Monaco Blue E92

heritage.
      12-29-2008, 06:48 AM   #3
Robin_NL
S0THPAW
Rep
Drives: HS M2 Competition

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisE92 View Post
heritage.
and rwd balance as well.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 08:26 AM   #4
M3350Z
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 335i MT

Quality of craftsmanship
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 09:05 AM   #5
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Styling, rwd chassis/handling and the fact it's German. But ultimately it's personal choice as to which you prefer but I don't agree that BMW or any other are better built than a Honda is.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 11:18 AM   #6
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

The devil is in the details.

Most consumers look at the feature list and not really think about the quality, performance, etc.

For example, compare TL brakes to a BMW. Acura obvisouly cut corners.

Sure leather is common place, but look closely at the seats, stichting, support, and wear over the long term. Acura uses a ot of vinyl matched pieces and only the seating surfaces are leather.

Note that all wood trim in an Acrua is plastic, not real wood.

Acura makes a great product. But you get what you pay for. For some, none of the differences matter. People look at two different brands with the same horsepower as being equal without understanding drivetrain loss, smoothness or the gear box, etc.

There are many great cars out there. But if you pay a lot less, you get a lot less, Corners were cut somewhere to get the price down.

Last edited by chuck92103; 12-29-2008 at 01:10 PM..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 11:55 AM   #7
slipknot
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: omega 2.5

dunno...I only respect german cars , some from jap. , sum amercian....but thats about it , horsepower and luxury = BRABUS Mercedes S Class , Carlson CL...ALPINA BMW 7er and 6er and A8
      12-29-2008, 01:16 PM   #8
Sal@AUTOcouture
Rep
Drives: E93 M3, E36 M3

Quality of parts used.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 01:38 PM   #9
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

I would say it's mainly brand recognition. There are many cars that are comparable to BMW's in terms of quality (engineering, details, etc.), performance, and safety yet they cost a lot less. So what's the difference between them? Brand.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 07:17 PM   #10
jhcao1472
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny@JleviSW View Post
I would say it's mainly brand recognition. There are many cars that are comparable to BMW's in terms of quality (engineering, details, etc.), performance, and safety yet they cost a lot less. So what's the difference between them? Brand.
I really don't know the answer to that question. That is a good topic of discussion. I hope BMW would see this discussion and make things more standard like leather, power seats, and homelink standard. It is so funny to see someone buy a base Lexus model and get these features standard when getting a comparable base BMW model at a lower cost. Do you agree?
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 07:50 PM   #11
chuck92103
Major
Rep
Drives: 2011 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhcao1472 View Post
I really don't know the answer to that question. That is a good topic of discussion. I hope BMW would see this discussion and make things more standard like leather, power seats, and homelink standard. It is so funny to see someone buy a base Lexus model and get these features standard when getting a comparable base BMW model at a lower cost. Do you agree?
Are you willing to give up the customizations that can be done with a BMW?

A main attraction to BMW is they abundance of colors, options, etc. available.

Lexus makes a few colors, two leathers, and everyone looks like a Camry.

Perhaps BMW could do like Honda and make a DX, LX, an EX version with 4 paints choices and two interior colors.

BMW could get rid of manual and SMG trannys and give everyone a stepronic.

They could also get rid of the diesel, 4 wheel drive, Euro Delivery to save a few more bucks.

Don't compare BMW to the Japs, they are targeted at different customers.

BMW caters to people who want a unique car and love to drive. Japs cater to people who need a car and don't care much for driving. They want all the decisions made for them. These are the same folks who don't mind seeing there car replicated by the three other corners at an intersection.
      12-29-2008, 08:48 PM   #12
jhcao1472
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck92103 View Post
Are you willing to give up the customizations that can be done with a BMW?

A main attraction to BMW is they abundance of colors, options, etc. available.

Lexus makes a few colors, two leathers, and everyone looks like a Camry.

Perhaps BMW could do like Honda and make a DX, LX, an EX version with 4 paints choices and two interior colors.

BMW could get rid of manual and SMG trannys and give everyone a stepronic.

They could also get rid of the diesel, 4 wheel drive, Euro Delivery to save a few more bucks.

Don't compare BMW to the Japs, they are targeted at different customers.

BMW caters to people who want a unique car and love to drive. Japs cater to people who need a car and don't care much for driving. They want all the decisions made for them. These are the same folks who don't mind seeing there car replicated by the three other corners at an intersection.
I disagree with you there. I think Lexus and Cadillac are trying to target the the same kind of customers as BMW. They make very fast cars such as the IS-F and CTS-V respectively that competes with the M3. I dont think they are targeting customers who dont care much for driving. There are plenty Lexus owners who mod their own cars for perfomance. Also, if you look around, there a lot of people that drives BMW, which does not make them unique at all.
The only thing I am questioning about BMW is when looking at the 335i and IS350. The IS350 seems to be better deal since Lexus gives more standard features as mentioned above. Both cars are RWD and are very fun to drive. If I go out to one the lots, what would make a BMW 335i better than a IS350? The manual transmission should make BMW cost a less than a Lexus which offers automatic tiptronic, which is an option on a BMW. Both carmakers offer AWD. The European delivery does save some bucks I assume.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 09:16 PM   #13
Mikewarlover
Major
Canada
Rep
Drives: white

Quote:
I disagree with you there. I think Lexus and Cadillac are trying to target the the same kind of customers as BMW. They make very fast cars such as the IS-F and CTS-V respectively that competes with the M3. I dont think they are targeting customers who dont care much for driving. There are plenty Lexus owners who mod their own cars for perfomance. Also, if you look around, there a lot of people that drives BMW, which does not make them unique at all.
The only thing I am questioning about BMW is when looking at the 335i and IS350. The IS350 seems to be better deal since Lexus gives more standard features as mentioned above. Both cars are RWD and are very fun to drive. If I go out to one the lots, what would make a BMW 335i better than a IS350? The manual transmission should make BMW cost a less than a Lexus which offers automatic tiptronic, which is an option on a BMW. Both carmakers offer AWD. The European delivery does save some bucks I assume.

There are quiet some diffence between an IS350 and a 335. In canada a fully equiped 335sedan is no more than 10k cad more than a fully equiped lexus. And for that u get a much better interior with bmw with better leather and controlls and buttons that feels more well made. U get a better gearbox manual or automatic. The seating position in a bmw is way better than a lexus and the car feels much more composed when u try to have fun. Then we come to the best part the engine in the 335 is very powerful for everyday cruising and overtaking while the is350 isn't as responsive. All the little things add up to that 10k difference. Nevermind after all that improvment u are still getting a better badge but of course thats the least important thing u consider when buying a car isnt it haha..
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 09:23 PM   #14
jhcao1472
Private First Class
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikewarlover View Post
There are quiet some diffence between an IS350 and a 335. In canada a fully equiped 335sedan is no more than 10k cad more than a fully equiped lexus. And for that u get a much better interior with bmw with better leather and controlls and buttons that feels more well made. U get a better gearbox manual or automatic. The seating position in a bmw is way better than a lexus and the car feels much more composed when u try to have fun. Then we come to the best part the engine in the 335 is very powerful for everyday cruising and overtaking while the is350 isn't as responsive. All the little things add up to that 10k difference. Nevermind after all that improvment u are still getting a better badge but of course thats the least important thing u consider when buying a car isnt it haha..
That is a good point you made there. The engineering put into the is probably worth the money. I would be happy to shell out an extra 5-6k for better tranny, engine, and engineering. But why arent they offering standard amenities like leather, power seats and homelink? That is what I am so shocked about BMW.
Appreciate 0
      12-29-2008, 11:33 PM   #15
jpsum
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 TSX

Simple. BMW drivers get more sex. That's what makes it different from a Honda.

jk
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 12:09 AM   #16
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+/YMB M4

Quote:
Drive them..you'll figure it out
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 12:44 AM   #17
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mikewarlover View Post
Better leather in the BMW? Are you fucking kidding me? This is the worst leather seating I have ever sat in. Even BMW has to cut corners.

Seating position can be changed. That's why we have power seats...

The premium I see over other cars at this point is the N54 engine and the balance of the car, relative to its opponents. However, that is thrown out the window once you start putting suspension parts and wheels, which a good part of e90post does.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 12:51 AM   #18
Blake
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Chevy Aveo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampfer View Post
Better leather in the BMW? Are you fucking kidding me? This is the worst leather seating I have ever sat in. Even BMW has to cut corners.
my leather is great!
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 01:09 AM   #19
josephr25
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blake View Post
my leather is great!
I don't know why BMW made the decision to give the M3 such good leather, and the rest of us the leather that looks like its been boiled on a stove
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 05:32 AM   #20
nnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnn
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1

I find it funny that hyundai is making a car with a V8 that makes 300 hp. I mean serious, only 300 hp out of a V8?
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 07:24 AM   #21
alpineweissM3
I love my beautiful wife!
Rep
Drives: e90 ///M

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kampfer View Post
I don't know why BMW made the decision to give the M3 such good leather, and the rest of us the leather that looks like its been boiled on a stove

The Novillo is lighter.
Appreciate 0
      12-30-2008, 08:04 AM   #22
ChrisV
7er
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1998 BMW 740iL

Garage List
1998 740iL  [6.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by AutoCouture View Post
Quality of parts used.
And yet they seem to last as long or longer and have fewer problems overall. Hmm.

I love BMWs, but lets face it, for all the supposed quality increase the price should demand, where's the functional quality difference? Why is it that 7 series are rated as something to stay away from on the used market and an Acura isn't?

I mean, if the quality is so much better on BMWs why do cars like mine need a new radiator every 60k miles, and new radiator expansion tanks every 30k or so? The E65 hasn't proven to be any better on the reliability front, either.

Switches failing, pixels going out on the dash, climate controls failing, window regulators breaking... these are just some of the things that BMWs have been known to have problems with. If they ARE "better" quality, it doesn't always show.

Yeah, some versions make a bit more power (for a lot more money) and out of the box have better handling and brakes. These design areas are not skimped on much, which is why they usually drive so well. But that's a design issue, not a quality one, and you pay for it.

Appreciate 0