F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Electronics for college?
ARMA SPEED

04-29-2012, 08:41 PM   #1
thetedderbear
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: Fiesta ST

Electronics for college?

Okay guys, I'm going to be starting college this fall and I'm beginning to think about what electronics I want to buy for college. I will for sure get a laptop of some sort, and possibly a tablet. If any of you have suggestions, please chime in.

For the laptop, I'm looking for something with good power for basic computer functions. I want it to be fast, but I'm not going to be playing games on this much. I'm really leaning towards a Macbook of sorts because I love my families iMac.

For the tablet, I also lean towards iPad, because it would connect better with a Mac. The most important thing for the tablet though is note taking/educational use. I don't know much about tablets or which ones are good for such tasks.

The lower costs, the better, but they aren't really an issue as I have many scholarships and I should be able to afford some pretty nice gear with the surplus cash. Thanks for any help you can offer!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 08:53 PM   #2
just4kickz
boku no namae ha...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 BS 330i

Garage List
2006 E90 330i  [0.00]
do people actually use tablets in school? i was in college when the ipad 1 came out but i didnt see very many people use it for school... don't know if you should bother getting that unless you just want to use it for fun.

"Akimbo shotguns. Broken wrists anyone? And don't give me that 'it's just a game' bull****. Where the **** are my akimbo interventions then?! One scope on each eye mother****er!!"
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 09:00 PM   #3
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

wait for the new macbook pros that are coming out this month .

They are suppose to be redesigned completely

tablet is super useful if you get all of your textbooks in electronic format. your back will thank you, and so will the trees

edit: also, as a student, when you buy a laptop during the summer you usually get a gift like free ipod touch or last year was 100 app store card
      04-29-2012, 09:07 PM   #4
thetedderbear
Captain
United_States
Rep

I think its becoming a little more common as more apps and things come out for it. I'd def use it for fun, but would like to get some educational use out of it.

I didn't know they had new ones coming out soon, thanks! I'll try and grab one in the summer but I may have to wait until the start of the school year when I get the cash surplus from my scholarships.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 09:26 PM   #5
bmw-nj
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 BMW 335 xdrive M sport

Tablets are useless for note taking. You use a computer for that. And I personally need a physical textbook to read and highlight.

I used a MacBook air for college. Just make sure you get Microsoft Office for it.

Smartphone is almost a necessity for email. I suggest an iPhone and MacBook air but there's a million different options.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 09:37 PM   #6
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 15 S3

I rarely even bring my macbook to classes, just use it as a desktop at home connected to monitor/HD/kb+mouse/speakers. I've had it for about 4 years now (13" aluminum unibody, essentially same as the new pros) and plan on keeping it for just as long. Upgraded to 8GB memory for $50, new battery last year, and SSD.

OP, wait for ivy bridge macbook release (several weeks) and then buy an air or MBP (depending on performance and whether you need it). Pick up a monitor, KB, mouse, and external HD and just shelf it and use as desktop when you're in your dorm. Might make more sense to go with smaller screen knowing you can use the bigger monitor while docked.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 09:40 PM   #7
shazzy04
Lieutenant Colonel
South Korea
Rep
Drives: '15 F22 M235i

I personally got rid of my iPad after trying to use it for e-books. Kudos to those who can use them, but I much rather have the pages physically in my hand to use.

I agree on new macbook pro. Just a little biased

Mods coming soon
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 09:42 PM   #8
thetedderbear
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw-nj View Post
Tablets are useless for note taking. You use a computer for that. And I personally need a physical textbook to read and highlight.

I used a MacBook air for college. Just make sure you get Microsoft Office for it.

Smartphone is almost a necessity for email. I suggest an iPhone and MacBook air but there's a million different options.
I already have an iPhone and my contract expires about the time the next one is due to be out. I know I'll be buying one of those with my personal money.

How did you like the air? Im not sure how I feel about all the things it lacks like a disk drive.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 09:44 PM   #9
username604
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: bmw

Garage List
2008 BMW 335i  [10.00]
wait for the new macbook and call it a day.
iPads are stupid as far as real work is concerned.

iPhone and Macbook is the best combination.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 09:44 PM   #10
thetedderbear
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by yakev724 View Post
I rarely even bring my macbook to classes, just use it as a desktop at home connected to monitor/HD/kb+mouse/speakers. I've had it for about 4 years now (13" aluminum unibody, essentially same as the new pros) and plan on keeping it for just as long. Upgraded to 8GB memory for $50, new battery last year, and SSD.

OP, wait for ivy bridge macbook release (several weeks) and then buy an air or MBP (depending on performance and whether you need it). Pick up a monitor, KB, mouse, and external HD and just shelf it and use as desktop when you're in your dorm. Might make more sense to go with smaller screen knowing you can use the bigger monitor while docked.
I never even thought of doing this but thats a great idea. I'll look into this for sure, I would be willing to go down in size on the actual computer if I had a monitor.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 09:52 PM   #11
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
I'm a freshman this year, almost finished with school. I have a MacBookPro 15" completely loaded up along with the 'new' iPad + LTE. I also have a BlackBerry Bold 9930.

Honestly, having a smartphone is amazing. In high school, pretty much everyone had one, but college is a different story. I can really see how people struggle who don't have one. iPhone/BlackBerry/Android... can't really go wrong, just depends on what you will use it for, but the basic functions (email, browsing, messaging, calendar, organization etc) exist on all platforms.

I use my computer more than my tablet, but my iPad has been great. Good at keeping stuff together (I have a To Do app that syncs between my iPad and BlackBerry). And it really is just all around fun to have. Definitely more of a luxury than a necessity though.

Definitely invest in a laptop though. I fully loaded mine, and it ended up costing a bit over $3000, but I'll probably be able to use it all four years considering the specs.

Microsoft Office is obviously a necessity, I guess you could use Pages, but I'm not really a fan.

I didn't get the Air because I thought it would get damaged too easily. One drop and your done...

Also, good luck with school! Where are you headed?
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 10:04 PM   #12
yakev724
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 15 S3

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedderbear View Post
I never even thought of doing this but thats a great idea. I'll look into this for sure, I would be willing to go down in size on the actual computer if I had a monitor.
Yeah, it's a big reason of why I went with 13"

I actually mounted a 10-USB port hub behind my desk and plug everything into that; really convenient. Just make sure it's got its own power supply so you don't burn out the comp's USB port.

The MB headphone jack doubles as an optical sound port with a $3 toslink adapter so you can route that to a receiver w/ 5.1 with an optical cable.

Monitor plugs in directly into display port --> DVI adapter.

**get applecare (eBay to save some $$), it'll pay for itself when you need a battery in 3 yrs.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 10:08 PM   #13
thetedderbear
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post
I'm a freshman this year, almost finished with school. I have a MacBookPro 15" completely loaded up along with the 'new' iPad + LTE. I also have a BlackBerry Bold 9930.

Honestly, having a smartphone is amazing. In high school, pretty much everyone had one, but college is a different story. I can really see how people struggle who don't have one. iPhone/BlackBerry/Android... can't really go wrong, just depends on what you will use it for, but the basic functions (email, browsing, messaging, calendar, organization etc) exist on all platforms.

I use my computer more than my tablet, but my iPad has been great. Good at keeping stuff together (I have a To Do app that syncs between my iPad and BlackBerry). And it really is just all around fun to have. Definitely more of a luxury than a necessity though.

Definitely invest in a laptop though. I fully loaded mine, and it ended up costing a bit over $3000, but I'll probably be able to use it all four years considering the specs.

Microsoft Office is obviously a necessity, I guess you could use Pages, but I'm not really a fan.

I didn't get the Air because I thought it would get damaged too easily. One drop and your done...

Thanks guys for all the imput, its been really helpful! I'm liking the idea of a Macbook Pro, but opting for a smaller one so I can hook up to a display in my dorm.

I'll be at Arkansas State University this fall. I looked all around me, big and small. Its big enough but not too big and impersonal, plus this is my hometown and I have a lot of connections here, which will be a big help while I'm in school. And they throw money at almost anyone going there, I was given a full ride and then some. Too good of an offer to turn down considering U of A didn't even give me half of their cost.

Once again, thanks for all the help guys!
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 10:08 PM   #14
BMW F22
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: ///M235i

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw-nj View Post

I use my laptop for notes as well. My last class was just ridiculous with notes. I can't image what it would have been like if I had to hand write everything instead of typing it. I agree with needing physical textbooks too. I just don't think I can read such things on a monitor screen.

As for tablets, a buddy of mine has the Asus Transformer Prime and has some kind of note taking app that types whatever he writes down into notes. So he can draw graphs, tables, etc. and it would convert them into notes. I thought that would be useful for class. However, it would still be a little pain in the but to type/write stuff on a tablet.

OP- as other have suggested, you should wait for the new Macbook (I'm anxiously waiting for it too). Rumors have it that the new Macbook Pro will be thinner and lighter yet still packs the higher performance than the air. So you might be able to get the best of both worlds. For me personally and ideally, I would get a small and light laptop (Macbook Air) to carry around and take notes and then have a desktop for the heavier stuff like games, video and photo editing, etc. The last month or two I had to write a marketing plan as well as a research paper and I wish I had a desktop to do those on. Some people could do with just a laptop but I think it's a bit too taxing.

Last edited by BMW F22; 04-29-2012 at 10:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 10:23 PM   #15
SaMaster14
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: '23 G80 M3C xDrive; '13 e92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by thetedderbear View Post
Thanks guys for all the imput, its been really helpful! I'm liking the idea of a Macbook Pro, but opting for a smaller one so I can hook up to a display in my dorm.

I'll be at Arkansas State University this fall. I looked all around me, big and small. Its big enough but not too big and impersonal, plus this is my hometown and I have a lot of connections here, which will be a big help while I'm in school. And they throw money at almost anyone going there, I was given a full ride and then some. Too good of an offer to turn down considering U of A didn't even give me half of their cost.

Once again, thanks for all the help guys!
Sounds good, I'm sure you'll have fun! Freshman year is definitely an experience! (Although, I do want to get back home...)

I never thought of a display, the dorm desks are really small where I am. But a 13" MacBookPro, or the Air is great. Definitely more power there than you need, haha.

Good luck again!
2023 G80 M3 Competition xDrive Isle of Man Green on Kyalami Orange full leather - 826M black wheels - Carbon Fiber Trim - Carbon Bucket Seats - Executive/Driving Assist/Parking Packages - Laserlight - M Shadowline Lights - M Drive Pro - CS Trans/Diff/Steering Coding
2013 E92 M3 Mineral White on Bamboo Beige noviello leather (Base w/ Nav, Comfort Access, Lighting Pack) - DINAN Stage 1 and Free Flow Axle-Back Exhaust
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 10:33 PM   #16
Hisam135i
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335i

Love my macbook for school. Ipad sucks for work related things, just good for surfing the web and playing games. Make sure to get microsoft suite and also might want to consider running a partition for windows depending on if you need windows for programs, depends on your major. good luck in college!

Edit: E-text books suck ass.
2008 Monaco Blue 335i | Terracotta | Premium | Auto | Comfort Access | Matte-black Grills | Carbon Fiber Splitters | 20% Tint | 1- point E9x Picture Game | Staggered 19' VMR V701 | Legal Disclaimer: My posts on this website cannot be held against me in any issues, such as warranty claims. |
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 10:33 PM   #17
asdflkijd
Aberry is a scammer
United_States
Rep
Drives: SGM E92 335i, AM E90 335i

Garage List
if it's really going to be for school then you should get a kindle fire and a 15" macbookpro.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 10:50 PM   #18
RedBarron
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 440i

I have a macbook air, it's amazing to carry around campus and the instant on is nice rather than waiting for it to boot. Also don't forget a good scanner/printer you will use it more than you think.

Current: Porsche Cayman S
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 11:21 PM   #19
Greenkirby21
Vrooom :)
United_States
Rep
Drives: C7 Stringray

Quote:
Originally Posted by RedBarron View Post
I have a macbook air, it's amazing to carry around campus and the instant on is nice rather than waiting for it to boot. Also don't forget a good scanner/printer you will use it more than you think.
ya especially when the library is closed at night
      04-29-2012, 11:34 PM   #20
burningchicken
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2007 e90 335i

Depends on your major. Check with your school to see if they require a certain type of computer for your major. I'm a mechanical engineer at VTech and they require all engineers to have laptop tablets; not the ipad type. I use an HP Elitebook and it gets the job done. If you're gonna be artsy at all, Architecture/graphic design/ etc. Macbooks are they way to go. I used to have a pro before I changed majors.

Keep in mind that if you do end up buying a Mac, you may be required to install Windows using bootcamp/VMWare/Parallels. Its not hard to do, but it could save you some trouble by just buying a windows laptop. I used to be a business major, and certain programs we needed were only available in windows form.
Appreciate 0
      04-29-2012, 11:47 PM   #21
DevJ
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: R8 V10+/YMB M4

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaMaster14 View Post

couldn't agree more. same set up i have
http://www.bimmerpost.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=133578&d=1204654487[/IMG]
Appreciate 0
      04-30-2012, 01:10 AM   #22
TimZ
Lieutenant
Albania
Rep
Drives: X5M

I got a MacBook pro 15inch. Fits perfectly in my book bag. I almost take it everyday whenever I need to do work on it. I also put windows 7 64bit on bootcamp for any program that needs windows. I'm a civil engineering major and use Microsoft office a lot, autocad, sometimes matlab and solid works.
If you get a mbpro then make sure u get the good CPU. Leave the ram to the lowest and just buy the 8gb kit from newegg for 45 bucks. The 250+ that apple charges is stupid
Appreciate 0