Next Level Auto Brokers
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

07-22-2014, 05:07 PM   #67
Bluesummer
Lieutenant General
Taiwan
Rep
Drives: slower than Ayrton Senna

Garage List
2017 BMW X5M  [0.00]
2015 M4  [0.00]
2011 E82 135  [0.00]
2011 M3  [0.00]
2007 335  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex07M3 View Post
Not a chance!
Next M could be a hybrid
      07-22-2014, 05:34 PM   #68
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep
Drives: E92 M3, Evo X MR, A4 Allroad

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesummer
Quote:
Not a chance!
Next M could be a hybrid
Exacly my thought! I feel like the F8x could be a transition between the old M3(E9x) that had no compromise in terms of feel and sound of the engine and the next M3 that could be a hybrid(a la P1, 918 and La Ferrari), so possibly no compromise there either! Pure speculation but if we're lucky, that's what the M3 will evolve into!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 06:49 PM   #69
TheRealOrosie
BMW Fan Boy
United_States
Rep
Drives: //M

Quote:
Not a chance!
The e92 sure as hell won't.
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 07:38 PM   #70
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by P-TownM3
Quote:
Not a chance!
The e92 sure as hell won't.
Probably not since this crown goes to the E30, but I'd say the S65 as all the chance to stay the best M3 motor to date for at least one more generation!
Appreciate 0
      07-22-2014, 08:35 PM   #71
AYF80
Major
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY F80

Im not to worried about the sound, I mean, there is really no reason is shouldn't sound as good or better than the 335i… Right? same set up basically.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 12:15 AM   #72
M3guy3
Captain
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by HPF 335i #1 View Post
Im not to worried about the sound, I mean, there is really no reason is shouldn't sound as good or better than the 335i… Right? same set up basically.
i always thought a V8 M3 sounded much better than a 335i. So you see the problem. IF you are a 335i owner then the M4 should be perfectly fine in the sound department
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 02:43 AM   #73
Reid
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: white cars

Quote:
Probably not since this crown goes to the E30, but I'd say the S65 as all the chance to stay the best M3 motor to date for at least one more generation!
Once you drive a S55 powered car, you will have to come back and edit your post.

I thoroughly enjoyed the sound of the S65 and feared that I would miss the sound of the V8.

Online the S55 sounds terrible. In person, it just sounds angry. Add in the fact that this engine makes a ridiculous amount more power than the S65 and you have a clearcut winner in the "best M3 engine" contest.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 07:32 AM   #74
W///
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: F82GTS, E36/E92M3, Z4M

Quote:
The reason I'm calling it a disapointment is only because people always expect a new car to get better in every department then the previous model, so in that regard, how can someone say it's not a disapointment!? Not only it does'nt sound as good as the S65(which was expected) but it does'nt even sound specially good!

I know you like the sound, but I still believe that videos don't lie(I bought six exhaust systems based on youtube clips and always got what I expected), and it's not like there's only one or two poor quality videos to judge from, we've seen many many good quality videos and it's always the same thing, a sound that is less then pleasing from the exterior and almost too loud to be real from the interior.

Also I don't think that the E46 vs F8x stock sound comparaison means much, other then maybe the fact that 15 years ago, most cars came with a tame exhaust note, even the E9x was too tame for most enthousiast. IMO what's really important is how awsome the engine can sound with the right exhaust, and from what we've seen with the Akra and the M Perf, it seems like the S55 don't even have the capacity to sound awsome with an aftermarket exhaust!
Hopefully I'm wrong on this one, but we'll see!

Anyway, all I'm saying is that it's good that people are bashing on the F8x(to certain extend) because that way, BMW will know what they need to do with the next M3/M4, and maybe even with the M2!
See, I disagree with what you are saying here. It's not like because time has gone on, cars have automatically sound better or worse. That's got nothing to do with technology at all. You can't tell me that a Ferrari 360 for example, doesn't sound good because it was a car made over a decade ago.

My point is this: I love engine sounds as much as the other guy, really I do. That was a huge part of me buying the V8. It sounds like angels singing in my ears every morning. I also love the sound my E36 makes with a Dinan intake and stock exhaust. It sounds like crazy after 5500 RPM, really nice. I also like the sound that E30 M3 DTM car made in that video against the F80. You honestly cannot a turbo I6 to sound better than one of the best sounding V8s ever made. Sorry it's just not possible. Ask Ferrari. Ask Ford if their Ecoboost engine is going to sound better than the V8 Mustang.

I went test driving the car thinking it was going to sound HORRIBLE, worst than a stock 335i even. And I was proven wrong when I heard it in real life (apart from cold start, I still don't like that).
07 E85 Z4M Roadster, Alpine White/Red, 6MT
99 E36 M3, Techno Violet/Dove Grey, 6MT
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 08:02 AM   #75
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid
Quote:
Once you drive a S55 powered car, you will have to come back and edit your post.

I thoroughly enjoyed the sound of the S65 and feared that I would miss the sound of the V8.

Online the S55 sounds terrible. In person, it just sounds angry. Add in the fact that this engine makes a ridiculous amount more power than the S65 and you have a clearcut winner in the "best M3 engine" contest.
Best engine does'nt necessarely mean the fastest in my book! The sound, the rev, and the power delivery of the S65 is what I like about it. The possibility with this engine is also a big factor, the fact that a simple 10k supercharger kit will bring an S65 to ~675hp/450tq makes it the most desirable engine IMO! Maybe not a fair comparaison but the fact is that the S65 offer that possibility just like the S55 will offer some of its own. But overall I think that no turbo engine, as good as they are, will offer as much fun as bringing a catless s/c S65 to redline, even if the S55 is faster, the S65 offers a rawer and more visceral experience and that's what makes it the better engine IMO!

Maybe not the most performing engine in stock form but from a modder point of view, the S65 is a dream!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 08:28 AM   #76
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by W///
Quote:
The reason I'm calling it a disapointment is only because people always expect a new car to get better in every department then the previous model, so in that regard, how can someone say it's not a disapointment!? Not only it does'nt sound as good as the S65(which was expected) but it does'nt even sound specially good!

I know you like the sound, but I still believe that videos don't lie(I bought six exhaust systems based on youtube clips and always got what I expected), and it's not like there's only one or two poor quality videos to judge from, we've seen many many good quality videos and it's always the same thing, a sound that is less then pleasing from the exterior and almost too loud to be real from the interior.

Also I don't think that the E46 vs F8x stock sound comparaison means much, other then maybe the fact that 15 years ago, most cars came with a tame exhaust note, even the E9x was too tame for most enthousiast. IMO what's really important is how awsome the engine can sound with the right exhaust, and from what we've seen with the Akra and the M Perf, it seems like the S55 don't even have the capacity to sound awsome with an aftermarket exhaust!
Hopefully I'm wrong on this one, but we'll see!

Anyway, all I'm saying is that it's good that people are bashing on the F8x(to certain extend) because that way, BMW will know what they need to do with the next M3/M4, and maybe even with the M2!
See, I disagree with what you are saying here. It's not like because time has gone on, cars have automatically sound better or worse. That's got nothing to do with technology at all. You can't tell me that a Ferrari 360 for example, doesn't sound good because it was a car made over a decade ago.

My point is this: I love engine sounds as much as the other guy, really I do. That was a huge part of me buying the V8. It sounds like angels singing in my ears every morning. I also love the sound my E36 makes with a Dinan intake and stock exhaust. It sounds like crazy after 5500 RPM, really nice. I also like the sound that E30 M3 DTM car made in that video against the F80. You honestly cannot a turbo I6 to sound better than one of the best sounding V8s ever made. Sorry it's just not possible. Ask Ferrari. Ask Ford if their Ecoboost engine is going to sound better than the V8 Mustang.

I went test driving the car thinking it was going to sound HORRIBLE, worst than a stock 335i even. And I was proven wrong when I heard it in real life (apart from cold start, I still don't like that).
I think you misunderstood my point about 15years old cars, maybe I was'nt clear enough. What I meant was that 15 years ago, or even 10 years ago, companys were'nt focussing as much as these days on giving sport cars a proper exhaust note to enhance the experience behind the wheel. What I mean is that the S54 has the possibility to sound great but the stock exhaust is just tame from the company, that's why I think it's not meaningfull to compare the sound of a stock E46 to the one of an F8x!

As an exemple, just compare the sound of a stock B7 RS4 to the sound of a stock B8 RS5, both have basicly the same engine but the RS5 has a much stronger exhaust note because that's the trend these days.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 08:41 AM   #77
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

I've heard in OP's video a lot of drone inside cabin !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 09:53 AM   #78
Black Gold
Major General
Rep
Drives: M3

Quote:
Best engine does'nt necessarely mean the fastest in my book! The sound, the rev, and the power delivery of the S65 is what I like about it. The possibility with this engine is also a big factor, the fact that a simple 10k supercharger kit will bring an S65 to ~675hp/450tq makes it the most desirable engine IMO! Maybe not a fair comparaison but the fact is that the S65 offer that possibility just like the S55 will offer some of its own. But overall I think that no turbo engine, as good as they are, will offer as much fun as bringing a catless s/c S65 to redline, even if the S55 is faster, the S65 offers a rawer and more visceral experience and that's what makes it the better engine IMO!

Maybe not the most performing engine in stock form but from a modder point of view, the S65 is a dream!
where is the link for the 10k supercharger on pump gas that makes 675 hp?

plus, on the higher powered cars you have to remove cats / add HFC which costs more money

next, you should drive the s55 before making all of these strongly worded statements. I find it hard to belive that someone can have such strong feelings about something they have never experienced.

finally, a high revving v8 that makes very little HP from bolt ons is better from a modding perspective than a modern turbo car? now ive heard it all. not even close. the s55 has massive potential if you are into that sort of thing.

tune only only e50 has shown almost 550whp already in less than 2 months. with no bolt ons or mechanical mods at all.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 11:06 AM   #79
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers View Post

plus, on the higher powered cars you have to remove cats / add HFC which costs more money

next, you should drive the s55 before making all of these strongly worded statements. I find it hard to belive that someone can have such strong feelings about something they have never experienced.

finally, a high revving v8 that makes very little HP from bolt ons is better from a modding perspective than a modern turbo car? now ive heard it all. not even close. the s55 has massive potential if you are into that sort of thing.

tune only only e50 has shown almost 550whp already in less than 2 months. with no bolt ons or mechanical mods at all.
http://www.esstuning.com/products/E9...er-System.html" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://www.esstuning...ystem.html</a>" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://<a href="http...m.html</a></a>
VT2-625($10k)+test pipes(400$)+94octane(available here at the pump) should bring the S65 close to 675hp!

removing my cats costed me 400$!

And yes I should drive the S55 because I'd really like to try one, but unfortunatly, my dealership don't let anyone test drive the two Ms that are in the show room, I tryed to tell them I'd maybe like to buy one but not without seeing what they're all about but they just don't care! Maybe after they eard my car they thought that there's no way I would let it go for an f8x!

But seriously I'm sure the S55 is a marvelous engine, but the fact is that is does'nt sound very good compared to an S65 and sound is what keeps me happy when I can't drive hard! I had turbo cars all my life and I just find the s65 to have something you don't find in turbo engines, a couple of people told me my car sound like a Nascar, and it kind of does, I like it! I still love turbo engines, I even have an 400hp Evo X MR as a beater and I'll probably change it for an RS3 when/if it come out in Canada, but the S55 does'nt interest me much with a supercharged S65 in my driveway!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 11:32 AM   #80
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennyPowers
Quote:

here's a quick clip of my car, maybe it'll help you understand what I find so special with the S65

Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 01:41 PM   #81
gtman
Iron man
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i M-Sport/2013 C63AMG

We have a driveway full of AMG'S and even I can admit that the M3/M4 are awesome.
      07-23-2014, 02:14 PM   #82
///M Power-Belgium
General
Belgium
Rep
Drives: ///M3-E92-DCT Silverstone II

Quote:
here's a quick clip of my car, maybe it'll help you understand what I find so special with the S65

Even from a roll your car seems to jump into acceleration !
About how it sounds ...just beastly,this car is no joke !
One thing....keep in mind the damn bearings with all that power under your right foot !

BPM DEV-Tune & DCT Software-Tune & Servotronic & coding ///Alpine HID Angeleyes ///Oem.exhaust mod.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 02:33 PM   #83
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtman
We have a driveway full of AMG'S and even I can admit that the M3/M4 are awesome.
I have no problem saying that the F8x is an awsome car with an awsome engine, but if I have the choice between the S55 and the S65, the S65 is a clear winner, that's all!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 02:47 PM   #84
modkrazy
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reid View Post

International Engine of the Year awards disagree with you.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 02:57 PM   #85
BMWJ
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92 M3

if you like your S65, you can keep your S65
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 05:32 PM   #86
Alex07M3
Banned
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ///M Power-Belgium
Quote:

http://<div class="youtube-playerCon.../iframe></div>" rel="nofollow" target="_blank">http://<a href="http://<div class="y...ame></div></a>
Even from a roll your car seems to jump into acceleration !
About how it sounds ...just beastly,this car is no joke !
One thing....keep in mind the damn bearings with all that power under your right foot !
Yeah this car is a lot of fun, can't be more happy with my VT1+MPE+test pipes set-up! As for the rod bearings, thanks for the advice, I'll probably replace them next winter while it's stored, the car should be close to 60k miles, the blower has been on it since it's at ~40k miles!
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 08:47 PM   #87
Denk
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2021 X5M

Sounds loud and racy. It screams, wow that's loud...not wow that sounds great.
Appreciate 0
      07-23-2014, 08:50 PM   #88
jc05e46m3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: '21 F90 M5 Comp

Quote:
You could def. benefit from solid rear bushings.
'15 /// M4 - YMB/SO - Sold
'12 E92 ///M3 ZCP - AW/FR - Sold
Appreciate 0