EXXEL Distributions
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read

Go Back   BMW M3 and BMW M4 Forum > BMW F80 M3 / F82 M4 Forum > M3 / M4 Photos and Videos

11-27-2014, 12:44 AM   #1
Accel Junky
High on Acceleration
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 M3, 90 GTR, 21 Gladiator

Mr. and Mrs. Accel Junky's Performance Center Dual M3 Re-delivery

BIMMERPOST
     Featured on BIMMERPOST.com
My wife and I happily received our his and hers M3s back from European Delivery shipping [see previous journal] at the Performance Center today. We dragged along the two people in our lives in most desperate need of excitement...father-in-law and my step-father. The plus side of this choice was that we did not have to promote inter-friend jealousy by picking amongst our close friends. Anyhow... I thought I would share some quick pictures (I apologize...some are a little underexposed due to the funky sun/gloom weather) and an overview.

After staying at the Greenville Marriott with dinner on BMW's dime (probably ours ultimately) we took the shuttle to the PC packed with other eager BMW customers. Unfortunately, it was raining and it had been all morning it seemed. Bummer, I thought.

Upon arriving we had a safety/tech overview with the instructors as well as introductions including their various backgrounds. Lots of racing experience in various series and whatnot. You could tell these dudes LOVED their jobs. I can certainly understand why. I wore my Save the Manuals shirt again (wife missed the memo) and got a couple compliments from the instructors including: "Love the shirt, but you know you'd lose!" -- I guess there is no escaping the fast shifts of the DCT.

Afterwards, we headed outside to where the vehicle staging area is to get into a car closely matching what we were having delivered. For my wife and I, we were out of luck on the manual trans M3s. I think they had one and it was put up somewhere...or so I was told. So we got to experience the DCT cars which, in hindsight, was best so that we can compare for anyone who asks (I didn't care for it...). My wife got a MG on SO and I got an SO/SO...which, by the way, is pretty damn good looking. I never expected that combo to be as good looking as it was. I don't know if it will age gracefully but right now you can't go wrong with that combo.

First activity for the morning was a small track/slalom course with the instructor speaking to us via walkie talkie. I did not get any photos outside of the car unfortunately. My step-father had a blast but is very new to handling a performance car. Took out a cone or two but no harm. You can tell he was damn proud afterwards. The last vehicle he bought for himself new was his beige 1984 Nissan single cab pickup...to give you some perspective. I think sitting in and driving a loaded M3 may have been overwhelmingly awesome in his mind.

According to my wife, my father-in-law apparently kept anxiously asking her to slow down...which would explain why the instructor kept having me (by name) stop and wait to get significant space before I blazed on through. I came from and married into anxiety. What can I say... Despite the rain, though, the M3s were a blast and all of the electronics kept us from royally messing up. I don't think the rain made much of a difference in the fun level.

Next up, we headed to the skid pad...the only driving event with an instructor physically in our cars. The purpose of this was to show us how the cars would react to heavy throttle input with no stability control or dynamic braking (?). First, we would lay into the throttle with the nannies off and massively spin out. The nastier the spinout, the happier the instructors seemed. Then we would turn on the nannies and do the same and feel the benefits of these electronic assistants. Pretty cool to feel it happen even if you already know the theory behind it. We switched to a 335i for this part...not sure why.

DSC OFF

DSC ON

We then headed to the last activity for the car driving portion of the experience...braking. The purpose of this part was to see both how the ABS worked (as far as been able to stop AND turn) and to see first-hand how slight increases in speed dramatically increase braking distance. It was funny hearing the instructor getting on to my father-in-law over the radio for not braking hard. Poor guy.

Before moving on to the plant tour, we were offered a ride with the instructors in the comp pack M5s (taking turns). Of course with the wet weather they were drifting everywhere. I had heard the M5s did not sound very good (and had heard some exhaust sounds on YouTube prior) but these things sounded pretty mean. Maybe the comp pack helps...but I approve.

We were split up to go on the plant tour at this point.

Before we left for the plant tour, we were assigned X5s. We headed onto the nearby mini-offroad course and then out to the highway. It was pretty cool that we caravanned to the plant in our own X5s (we even kept the keys with us while on the tour). I guess they want to cross-promote them for a chance at a spousal purchase or family car purchase. Smart.

The plant tour was not bad but not nearly as cool as the Munich plant tour. Mostly it is more spread out and there are way more humans working on the vehicles and you get to see less of the manufacturing process. Also, the time goals per station seemed a lot longer and overall the process just seemed to move without a sense of purpose. Plenty of cool stuff to see though such as the pano roof install robot and the final inspection where they "spank the baby" by putting on the Roundel and tapping it in place with a rubber hammer.

No photos of the plant tour here...we were asked to leave our phones in the X5s.

Next up... we took the X5s back to the PC and proceeded onto the real-deal offroad course. Unfortunately for me, I had a very ill-timed conference call so I tended to that from the passenger seat while my step-father had the time of his life fording water up to the doors, climbing hills with 2 wheels off the ground, testing hill descent, AWD, etc... This wasn't a convenient course to get out and take pictures...so just a couple snapped from the inside.

[LUNCH INTERMISSION ]

After lunch in the cafe, we headed to the gift shop (which has unique items to this facility...mainly M Performance Driving School stuff) before being assigned to our delivery folks. I did not expect our cars to be outside. Thought they would be in the glass-windowed delivery cubbies I had seen in pictures...but they were out front. Since we had done ED already, Justin helped my wife figure out a couple of items she had questions on and after a few photos of the his and hers M3s together we concluded our day. Just as we were leaving I asked one of the instructors about the new M3/M4 and collectively how he and the other instructors felt about them compared to the E9X. Long story short... the answer was that they were unanimously in favor of the new Ms.

Lastly...28mpg on the way home. Mostly highway, but pretty pleased. Can't wait to see if I can hit 30mpg...love the challenge every now and then...even in a performance car.

Thanks for reading.

Last edited by Accel Junky; 11-27-2014 at 01:32 AM..
Appreciate 6
      11-27-2014, 01:51 AM   #2
Green///Hell
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991 GT3, F15 X5, 1199S

Very cool. Congrats on getting them home. Very jealous you got to do ED then PCD
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 02:56 AM   #3
dkhm3
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 991.2 GT3 2020 X3MC

love the write up. will read it more in depth later! getting sleepy

big fan of your ed write up as well!

thanks for doing this, so envious! you have double the m3 I have!!

old dudes look happy too.

Previously:
1999 M3 2002 M3 2005 S4 2008 C63 2015 M3 2016 X5M 2019 911S
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 03:15 AM   #4
Schullz51
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2015 AY M3

Glad you enjoyed the PCD experiece! Mine was a week ago from yesterday. What a great time. I also was given that SO/SO M3 and really found myself enjoying the combination. Obviously this pales in comparison to the ED that you guys did but for me only doing PCD it will be something I remember for a long time.

2015 BMW M3 F80: 11.780 @ 118.670 MPH
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 05:34 AM   #5
Lynchmob6
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 SO/SO F80 & 135 M-Sport

Garage List
Awesome! You guys have had a great experience doing both EF and PCD...congrats!
///M3 SO/SO / MT / 19" Black Alloys / Executive Pkg. / Lighting Pkg. / Adaptive Suspension / Enhanced USB / HK / Full Front XPEL / 35 Tint / MODS: Custom painted engine cover and grill surrounds, Pedal Haus Kit, M-Performance Alcantara shifter/boot & e-brake boot, carbon e-brake handle, wrapped seat shells/rear headrests, M-Performance Spoiler with CRT Stripe.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 06:01 AM   #6
psuibmw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G06/G20/F30/F15/F10/E90

Garage List
2018 BMW 320xi  [10.00]
2023 BMW M340  [9.75]
2022 BMW  [10.00]
Can u do both ED and PCD combined? I thought you have to pick one and only one
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 06:06 AM   #7
Gac101177
M4-SAHD
Rep
Drives: M3

Garage List
2015 BMW M4  [10.00]
Amazing thanks for sharing.
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 06:23 AM   #8
GOLFFRR
Rep
Drives: GOLFFRR cart

Im sure you guys will agree its pretty hard to beat ED+PCD combo. I mean both of them individually are epic alone but combining them is a hole other level.

congrats to you guys again and enjoy the holidays with your new cars!

BEFORE YOU BUY YOUR NEXT BMW, EMAIL OUR GUY KOTE FIRST!
Kote M Sales:Kotem@bmwofcamarillo.com Cell:805-368-9101
vipfinance@bmwofcamarillo.com for warranties!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 06:27 AM   #9
jscgillissw
Rep
Drives: bmw

Very cool. Congrats on getting them home.
      11-27-2014, 08:13 AM   #10
m5sdse63
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2014 M6GC CP

Great stuff! Congrats on the cars! Super experience!
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 12:47 PM   #11
tmobrien
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 M4 Comp Heritage Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by psuibmw View Post
If you have enough cash you could probably help build your own car on the manufacturing floor
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 05:12 PM   #12
psuibmw
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: G06/G20/F30/F15/F10/E90

Garage List
2018 BMW 320xi  [10.00]
2023 BMW M340  [9.75]
2022 BMW  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmobrien
Quote:
If you have enough cash you could probably help build your own car on the manufacturing floor
Good point
Appreciate 0
      11-27-2014, 05:58 PM   #13
myzmak
Advocatus Douchebagus. Sex Marxist.
Canada
Rep
Drives: Lucy.

Garage List
2015 F80 M3  [10.00]
2013 MB E350 Wagon  [10.00]
Way cool....but tres jealous that you have done ED and PCD while I'm still just waiting for a plain old D.

Anywhere.

Just. A. Delivery. Please. And. Thanks!
      11-28-2014, 08:20 AM   #14
Accel Junky
High on Acceleration
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green///Hell View Post
Very cool. Congrats on getting them home. Very jealous you got to do ED then PCD
Thanks! The ED + PCD is amazing. Still hard to believe they let you do both!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkhm3 View Post
love the write up. will read it more in depth later! getting sleepy

big fan of your ed write up as well!

thanks for doing this, so envious! you have double the m3 I have!!

old dudes look happy too.
Yeah, I had to stay up super late and get this written up before I forgot what happened. My memory sucks

The old guys were super happy. Father-in-law just could not stop talking about it. He wants to do the 1 day performance school now and he is getting the itch for a new BMW M as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Schullz51 View Post
Glad you enjoyed the PCD experiece! Mine was a week ago from yesterday. What a great time. I also was given that SO/SO M3 and really found myself enjoying the combination. Obviously this pales in comparison to the ED that you guys did but for me only doing PCD it will be something I remember for a long time.
PCD should be a no brainer for any M buyer, that's for sure! ED is great but it is also stressful to plan for. Glad you liked that SO/SO! I wasn't digging the aluminum trim but otherwise it was a sweet ride.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lynchmob6 View Post
Awesome! You guys have had a great experience doing both EF and PCD...congrats!
It is amazing they let folks do both! But hey...why not take advantage?

Quote:
Yep. No problem at all to do both. No charge for either. Might as well double up if you can

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOLFFRR View Post
Im sure you guys will agree its pretty hard to beat ED+PCD combo. I mean both of them individually are epic alone but combining them is a hole other level.

congrats to you guys again and enjoy the holidays with your new cars!
Thanks, you too! The combination is awesome. Have to wait a little longer on redelivery but it is work the 2 weeks at least.

Quote:
Originally Posted by myzmak View Post
Way cool....but tres jealous that you have done ED and PCD while I'm still just waiting for a plain old D.

Anywhere.

Just. A. Delivery. Please. And. Thanks!
I think we snuck in before the delays...that helps but we still had a lot of waiting to do. The ED planning occupies a lot of the wait. The redelivery wait though...not much to distract one from thinking about that though!
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 08:23 AM   #15
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Nice pics and story. Dont be so close minded. Both are great transmissions. Youre starting to seem insecure about your tranny lol
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 08:31 AM   #16
Accel Junky
High on Acceleration
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmk08 View Post
Nice pics and story. Dont be so close minded. Both are great transmissions. Youre starting to seem insecure about your tranny lol
I'm so stuck in my ways

Believe me, I'm already planning on sitting my curmudgeon-old-ass on my front porch with beer in hand yelling at kids to get off my damn lawn.

But, even though I'm not a fan of the DCT (keeping in mind my allegiance to manuals), it was far and away better than a run-of-the-mill auto trans. I would say anyone who likes an auto would be very pleased. That's assuming they don't upshift with the wiper stalk (I can't tell you how many times I did that )
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 08:37 AM   #17
dmk08
Gone Fishin’
United_States
Rep
Drives: Walks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Accel Junky View Post
I'm so stuck in my ways

Believe me, I'm already planning on sitting my curmudgeon-old-ass on my front porch with beer in hand yelling at kids to get off my damn lawn.

But, even though I'm not a fan of the DCT (keeping in mind my allegiance to manuals), it was far and away better than a run-of-the-mill auto trans. I would say anyone who likes an auto would be very pleased. That's assuming they don't upshift with the wiper stalk (I can't tell you how many times I did that )
DCT imo is much more fun shifting with "the nub". just move your foot up and down and pretend you shifted 100x better than you ever could.

One thing I wonder is why BMW didnt follow porsche and the Vette with a 7MT.
Appreciate 0
      11-28-2014, 08:39 AM   #18
JustChris
General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Tesla MYRWD

Fantastic
      11-28-2014, 11:47 AM   #19
KevinM
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2002 M5;2007 M Coupe;2020 M2C

Garage List
2020 M2 Competition  [10.00]
2007 E86 M coupe  [8.38]
2002 E39 M5  [9.00]
Nice - twice the fun (ED + PCD and 2 F80s)!
2021 Kia Telluride (hauler)
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 04:24 PM   #20
Mfanatik
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

Cool write up. Did you notice any difference in response and acceleration between the 6MT and the DCT? E9X has a noticable difference.
Appreciate 0
      12-02-2014, 04:47 PM   #21
VMRWheels
General
Rep
Drives: BMW

Garage List
2013 BMW M3  [10.00]
2015 BMW M4  [0.00]
2013 BMW F30  [0.00]
2014 BMW F22  [0.00]
2013 BMW F06  [0.00]