F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Today's Posts
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > New BMW 2 Series and MINI
ARMA SPEED

06-01-2010, 04:49 PM   #1
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

New BMW 2 Series and MINI

Quote:
Originally Posted by SCOTT27
Surround me With Joy.

BMW Compactive Sport Tourer
BMW Advanced Sport Tourer

One of the advantages of using the new 1er/3er Matrix or backbone is the cost effectiveness in which new models can be derived from a single structure that can either be stretched or shortened to suit any concept.
BMW request outside survey's from customers who are not typical BMW customers because there is not really a BMW for their needs. When asked what is the single most desired concept from BMW the results are more than interesting.

A Supercar ? More powerful M3? That is a close second.
The answer is Space for a family and more flexibility in a much smaller car.
With the BMW Compactive Sport Tourer the car is a respite from a typical MPV Concept and a new addition to the premium end of the compact multi-purpose vehicle segment.
when we look at the Multi-Purpose vehicle segment you see a typical one shape concept , spread throughout the segment , some are neither Sporty or desirable but fullfill the customers requirement for flexibility.

BMW Compactive Sport Tourer removes the conventions of a singular MPV Concept and alternates with a raised vehicle utilising a semi-commanding driving position but applies the function into a vehicle that is more car than multi-purpose vehicle.

BMW Sport Compactive Tourer enhances a typical hatch but enlarges it to be more car-like.
The Roof slopes down more dramatic coupe like over the luggage compartment allowing a sleeker look. The overall appearance is less van more car , The outline is of a car with many car like features such as a more car-like front end instead of a steep raised van like bonnet .

Inside the concept the idea is to utilise more space with the Compactive Sport Tourer allowing four Four or Five passengers. Using the new "Layered interior design process"

BMW Advanced Sport Tourer

Adds a longer Wheelbase and the ability to increase passenger count to seven. Some BMW customers actually request more space for passengers. Currently BMW only utilise seven seats in the X5 , The car that began life as the RFK before refining into the GT was set to take seven seats until the decision was made to utilise the design by christopher Weil which envoked a more coupe like shape and concentrate on a first class cabin for passengers instead of catering for families.

The interesting aspect of this car is it's positioning. Right between the 1er and 3er and accessible to the lower end of the market. Some name suggestions have included using the above titles or resurrecting the 2er, should anything move further then expect to see a production variant in between 2014-2015.

Not so MINI now...

With the launch cycle of the excellent new addition the Countryman underway. Attention comes as to the next MINI and BMW's move to officially turn MINI into a Brand.

The first examples of course are the Countryman and the forthcoming Coupe and Roadster. All three of which will feature seperate design details to distinguish the cars from the forthcoming 3rd gen. MINI.
It is in the brand building that things become more interesting?

The MINI Coupe and Roadster are quickly developed off the R56 and are being rushed to production as we speak. The next generation Coupe and Roadster become an entirely different model which is a dream project for the designers to enhance the look and turn them into a proper pair of individual Sports cars.
Although the designs are in the process of being commenced the idea is to utilise a complately different appearance from the next generation hatch and add some interesting details , just as the Countryman is not just a five dr MINI. With the Coupe staying , The Roadster is expected to be replaced by a more raked version that shares nothing with the Cabrio , conceived as the MINI Spyder this MINI will be more sporty looking than the Roadster. There are rumours of using the modular platform which BMW will share with MINI to make the future Coupe and Spyder Mid-engined but for now this conjecture and cafe-shop talk.

The Countryman which is already attracting interest especially with it's exciting concept to appeal to the MINI owner or would-be MINI owner for more flexibility and space. Is rising high in official pre-orders ahead of the September launch and to familarize more with the car will be shown across Europe this summer. Of course the car that previewed the Concept "The Beachcomber" Concept is one direction to expand the Countryman range.

There is however a stumbling block that such a Concept put into production as it is would not be popular especially in parts of the world where the sun does not shine (as often). The offer to reshape the Beachcomber in something more accessible is put forward as a 3dr , using the sloping rear end as demonstrated by the Concept or something more coupe like and with removable roof panels , conventional doors will have to stay due to side impact protection, but a Targa type t-bar could split the passenger cabin,
This MINI variant would be more urbanic than the Beachcomber but have more of the spirit of the MOKE especially in size and idea. It would use a variation on the Countryman theme - A MINI Urban Activity Coupe.

As with each generation MINI's become slighty bigger than before so now the time has come to invest of qualities of scale with BMW's Mega City family and introduce a MINI that is smaller and more tuned like the original.
Unfortunately some elements of the mini cannot be interpreted due to the need for safety requirements and other areas of legislation.
The idea is to use the design ideas of MINI on a much smaller concept than the current MINI - A small City Car Project.

The use of combining resources with the MegaCity projects will allow a greater use of technology , engines and the latest modular platforms, it will also be cost effective and generate profit.
This MINI could also use technology from BMW's Motorrad division.

The in house decision on shared modular platform's across MINI and BMW have produced significant projected Profit returns which is why there is a huge emphasis on the city Project and Compact platforms which will spin off many exciting new concepts. Whether the new MINI will be called either "Minor" , MIN-i or even MINI-missimo is unknown at this time because the idea is in competition in BMW's design studio's across the world.

MINI City Car Project
MINI 3rd Generation Hatch
MINI 3rd Generation Cabrio

MINI Clubman
MINI SpaceBox (Progressive ACTIVITY MINI)

MINI Countryman
MINI Countryman / MOKE (Beachcomber)

MINI Coupe
MINI Spyder

BMW is going to build all useless niche models except the Z4 M Coupé with S65 in it.

I can't stand BMW anymore.

Last edited by BMW269; 06-01-2010 at 05:25 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 08:07 PM   #2
ptack
Brigadier General
United_States
Rep
Drives: 135i

Garage List
2008 135i  [6.50]
But if they make a thousand different models that sell a thousand units each, that's a million cars!
      06-01-2010, 08:11 PM   #3
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
They should have put the R&D money from the X5M, X6M, X6 and 5GT into the M3...
      06-01-2010, 10:42 PM   #4
VinnieAces
Lieutenant Colonel
Canada
Rep
Drives: Imola Red Z4MC

Garage List
2006 Z4 M Coupe  [8.00]
god i wish theyd put the s65 in the Moupe...sigh bmw is stupid lately...i wish the M division would just take over everything
      06-02-2010, 03:39 AM   #5
BMW269
Brigadier General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: BMW

Quote:
Originally Posted by ptack View Post
But if they make a thousand different models that sell a thousand units each, that's a million cars!
Have you heard that the 5 GT does not sell as well as expected? That is a loss.
Appreciate 0
      06-02-2010, 07:41 AM   #6
DASHOCKER
The power of V!
Germany
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i coupe steptronic

Garage List
1998 Lexus Gs400  [0.00]
2010 ebony & ivory  [0.00]
2006 BMW X3  [0.00]
2009 pics  [0.00]
2009 e92 335 xdrive  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Levi View Post
BMW is going to build all useless niche models except the Z4 M Coupé with S65 in it.

I can't stand BMW anymore.

There is always Lexus with its hybrid sports cars..
      06-02-2010, 01:10 PM   #7
Dan in PA
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 E92 335i

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by DASHOCKER View Post
There is always Lexus with its hybrid sports cars..

...and Porsche with their hybrid sports car...
      06-06-2010, 02:38 PM   #8
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
BMW continues to water down its lineup, which they dont realize that it waters down the image by ten fold.

damnit BMW, stop fucking around with us. FOCUS on making your current cars better and fuck away with the rest of this filler shit.

Stop trying to surround us in joy, and get working on surrounding us with SHEER DRIVING PLEASURE.

Last edited by Kiemyster; 06-06-2010 at 02:43 PM..
Appreciate 0
      06-06-2010, 04:46 PM   #9
Hula-Hula
Lieutenant Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: ♥

Keep growing BMW, I love the work you're doing!
      06-06-2010, 05:19 PM   #10
DougLikesBMW
Fapmin
Rep
Drives: '03 E46 330Ci

Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 03:21 PM   #11
Kiemyster
Bimmerpost Resident Marijuana Consultant
Trinidad_and_tobago
Rep
Drives: 320i, 325xi, 335Xi, 335i, M3

Garage List
^^^

lol
      06-07-2010, 04:30 PM   #12
NL-J
First Lieutenant
Netherlands
Rep
Drives: F82 M4

Oh god they're not going to make MPV's are they? Bah And what about the Mini Countryman, damn that thing is hideous and I doubt it's going sell as good as the normal Mini here.

I think I need to make Aston Martin money
      06-07-2010, 08:52 PM   #13
stressdoc
Dominica
Rep
Drives: BMW i8; Toy 4runner TRD pro

I plan to get the 1000kg Z2 supersprint with the 272 bhp turbo 4 cyl.

I would really like a small camper van with a 2.0l diesel.

IMO the GTs are passé. But no doubt there are still a few years left during which the USA market will buy such pointless vehicles. Look at the success of the SUV. Now folks are starting to wise up, and opting for smaller, sportier SUVs. Blech.
Appreciate 0
      06-07-2010, 09:25 PM   #14
ianbiz
Back in a BMW
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 335i Msport

BMW is officially the new GM.