F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Food you like
Extreme Powerhouse

08-16-2013, 12:05 PM   #23
i dunno
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a pair of legs

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by tony20009 View Post
Absolutely will not eat foods: not many, but...
  • Fugu - not worth the risk; never have eaten it.
  • Oysters - I just don't like them; tried it repeatedly - I'm done.
  • Fermented tofu - The single worst thing that's ever been in my mouth. It smells like ass; it tastes like ass. I have no choice but to smell it every time I'm in the PRC because there's a dude who's right outside my hotel with a portable cooker selling it. I was at a restaurant with friends and I finally broke down and tasted a tiny piece the size of an aspirin. Never again! It was so bad I can taste it even now just writing about it and it's making my face scrunch up in disgust! If this is on your culinary bucket list, take it off! Trust me.
I don't mind stinky tofu, but I guess it fits my palate since i'm Chinese. it has an intense earthiness that you need to balance with a sweet sauce. Not my favorite thing in the world, but i'll eat it.

theres also tofu cheese which isn't as pungent, but tastes really great when stir fried with water spinach
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 12:16 PM   #24
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep
Drives: Race car->

Surprised, your missing out with the oysters.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 12:24 PM   #25
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i - Coupe

Quote:
Originally Posted by i dunno View Post
I don't mind stinky tofu, but I guess it fits my palate since i'm Chinese. it has an intense earthiness that you need to balance with a sweet sauce. Not my favorite thing in the world, but i'll eat it.

theres also tofu cheese which isn't as pungent, but tastes really great when stir fried with water spinach
Yep...I know plenty of Chinese who like it. I think that may well be a requirement. I don't even want it around in the vicinity before, during or even shortly after eating.

Cheeses, and butter especially, is hard to come by in the PRC, or at least in Shenzhen's high end restaurants (non-Western, of course). I once asked for butter and got cheese, and the cheese was tasty on the food, but I wanted butter. I just gave up because at the time my pinyin/Chinese wasn't good enough, I had no dictionary with me and my Chinese companion had no idea of what I was talking about either. So cheese was the condiment that day.

I don't know why that is. I guess I get that butter from cows' milk needs cows and cows need a lot of space compared to pigs, goats, sheep, ducks, chickens, rabbits, fish, etc. that comprise the menagerie of critters commonly found on Chinese menus. Do you know if Chinese are keen on goat's milk butter? It can have a musky taste. I know why nearly nobody makes butter from sheep's milk.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
'07, e92 335i, Sparkling Graphite, Coral Leather, Aluminum, 6-speed
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 12:52 PM   #26
i dunno
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: a pair of legs

Garage List
2008 E92 328i  [0.00]
Quote:
Yep...I know plenty of Chinese who like it. I think that may well be a requirement. I don't even want it around in the vicinity before, during or even shortly after eating.

Cheeses, and butter especially, is hard to come by in the PRC, or at least in Shenzhen's high end restaurants (non-Western, of course). I once asked for butter and got cheese, and the cheese was tasty on the food, but I wanted butter. I just gave up because at the time my pinyin/Chinese wasn't good enough, I had no dictionary with me and my Chinese companion had no idea of what I was talking about either. So cheese was the condiment that day.

I don't know why that is. I guess I get that butter from cows' milk needs cows and cows need a lot of space compared to pigs, goats, sheep, ducks, chickens, rabbits, fish, etc. that comprise the menagerie of critters commonly found on Chinese menus. Do you know if Chinese are keen on goat's milk butter? It can have a musky taste. I know why nearly nobody makes butter from sheep's milk.
haha dairy products in general aren't a big part of most Chinese regional cuisines. you'll have an easier time finding cheese and butter in more westernized areas like hong kong or in regions where dairy is more prevalent like near Mongolia or xinjiang.

tofu cheese isn't like regular cheese, but I think its good when used as a seasoning. next time your in Shenzhen, you should try it with water spinach (ong choi)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fermented_bean_curd

while you're at it, if you're really adventurous, it shouldn't be too difficult to find dog in Shenzhen. the guongdong province is full of crazy culinary experiences.

Last edited by i dunno; 08-16-2013 at 01:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 12:55 PM   #27
crzylildude
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Garage List
KOREAN BBQ BUFFET (WITH ALL THE VARIETY OF MEAT / SPECIALLY SHORT RIBS) yummmm!!! and BEER or WINE

Last edited by crzylildude; 08-16-2013 at 01:21 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 01:11 PM   #28
nullrouted
Studying...
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW '13 E92 ZCP 6MT M3

I'll bite... (lame pun intended)

•Meat: Filet Mignon/NY Strip or the combo meat package called a T-bone. If there are other cuts of beef, I'm blissfully unaware of them.

•Poultry: Spicy Fried Chicken -- Wings if on the bone, Tenderloins if we're going boneless

•Seafood: Lobster with garlic butter, Shrimp/Prawns with -very- spicy cocktail sauce, Alaskan Salmon.

•Veggies: Asparagus, Pommes (in all their many delectable forms), Mushrooms, Onions.

•Fruit: Rainier Cherries, Strawberries, Apples, Plums, Peaches, Bananas, you name it, haven't had many fruit items I don't enjoy.

•Breakfast: Eggs over easy, Home fries, Bacon, Toast.

•Dessert: Cheesecake (preferably something interesting like Cheesecake Factory's offerings). Chocolate Ganache Cake. The Welt also had some very delicious Chocolate Ganache in 'Parfait-style' cups.

•Cocktail: I'm usually a beer drinker, Hefeweizen is preferable but very hard to find good ones in FL. Liquor would be Vodka and Lemon-Lime Soda or the occasional Jager-Bomb.
Appreciate 0
      08-16-2013, 01:17 PM   #29
MightyMouseTech
Major General
Rep
Drives: 13 135i 6MT LeMans Blue MSport

Quote:
I don't think that's actually true....As long as the penalty for losing isn't having to eat some, I'd bet you won't eat fermented tofu (aka chou doufu or stinky tofu) twice. But hey, give it a shot and see what you think.

FWIW, I suspect there might be someone formerly out there who thought that too until they ate the wrong fugu once.

+1
(One of the very few things over which I try to comply with being PC: I think of them as "developing nations" rather than "third world")

Have you traveled to any such places? For me Central America China and India are the only places I've been that have that sort of thing going on.
OK, I have not tried fermented tofu, but I won't say no.

OK, developing nations, actually, I should have just said "other" countries. Getting out of the tourist areas in Mexico, Cuba, Dominican Rep., Costa Rica and Nicaragua, and found some awesome food. Jealous of your travels to China and India, those are high on my bucket list. Now have a friend living in Bangalore, may have to visit.

Oh, and I forgot, popcorn with fresh grana padano, cinnamon and truffle oil. Yum!

Last edited by MightyMouseTech; 08-16-2013 at 01:37 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 03:38 PM   #30
mdosu
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Double Vanos'd Civic-M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Oh we forgot the obvious, poutine!
Quote:
Originally Posted by catherinelam View Post
.......................!
man, i feel like digging my face into some...
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 03:39 PM   #31
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdosu View Post
man, i feel like digging my face into some...
Its hard to find the good stuff at times. Bmw135er knows a place.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 03:48 PM   #32
Bighorns
bimmer newb
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2010 335i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by stormzusmc View Post
beer
bacon
steak
whiskey
dark chocolate
salmon
bacon
Add wine and tacos to this and I'm good!
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 07:18 PM   #33
zachar3
Captain
Rep
Drives: e92 328i

I love breasts

...of chicken. spicy ones.
Appreciate 0
      08-18-2013, 10:32 PM   #34
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachar3 View Post
I love breasts

...of chicken. spicy ones.

+1 Spicy!

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 07:23 AM   #35
PatrikG
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: BMW F31

Plank Steak is probably my favorite dish right now, with a glass of belgian beer.

Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 08:36 AM   #36
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1MOREMOD View Post
Oh we forgot the obvious, poutine!
While I love me some northern concoctions, fries and vinegar I think trump poutine. First time I ever had fries and vinegar was an ice hockey tourney in Windsor in '93. I've been hooked ever since.
Appreciate 0
      08-20-2013, 08:50 AM   #37
1MOREMOD
-
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Billup View Post
While I love me some northern concoctions, fries and vinegar I think trump poutine. First time I ever had fries and vinegar was an ice hockey tourney in Windsor in '93. I've been hooked ever since.
you missed the joke but thats okay. i put that damn malt vinegar on fries all the time. love it.

02 Tiag e46 M3|6MT|GC plates|MCS c.o.|GC bars|GC race control arms|GC bushings|BW eng. & tran. mounts|subframe kit|BW race shifter|BW Jaffster|Euro header|BW exhaust|K&N c.a.i.|Epic race tune|Rouge pulleys|Seibon CF hood|CSL bumper|apr gt 250 & splitter|ST-40|XR-2|SS lines|half cage|Recaro profi|Profi 2 harness|BMWpedals|BW studs|
Appreciate 0
      08-21-2013, 06:28 PM   #38
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Figs.

I just went out to harvest the figs growing on my fig tree. This year's crop is AWESOME! Actually, all my fruit bearing trees have been very impressive this year. I guess the cooler weather is why??? Usually, my harvest is OK, but rarely as good as this year's.

Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 09:26 PM   #39
Ehwnnc
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 11 335i

Bagel Bites covered in Texas Pete
Appreciate 0
      08-29-2013, 11:58 PM   #40
dreamingat30fps
Lieutenant Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: Miata, Cayenne, Model 3, F350

rack

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 07:10 AM   #41
kumkum
India
Rep
Drives: Audi A4, Mercedes Benz A Class

I usually eat these food. I know this is not good for my health but what can I do I love eating fast food and chips. My Mom used to repeat this sentence every morning "These are not good for health, you are decreasing your age on your own by eating such unhealthy food. You should eat cereals, salads, fruits, drink milk...". But these cereals and all sounds me irritating. What can I do.
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 06:31 PM   #42
tony20009
Major General
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by kumkum View Post

[pics deleted]

I usually eat these food. I know this is not good for my health but what can I do I love eating fast food and chips. My Mom used to repeat this sentence every morning "These are not good for health, you are decreasing your age on your own by eating such unhealthy food. You should eat cereals, salads, fruits, drink milk...". But these cereals and all sounds me irritating. What can I do.
To me, it sounds like you really just like salty food; cereal rarely is salty. Chips and fast food have no shortage at all of salt. There's no way round the fact that the ingredient quality of most fast food is pretty low. Salt is flavor enhancer that that works by opening up the taste buds; MSG is a form of salt that does so to the extreme. In general, salt can make rather flavorless foods seem to actually have flavor and be acceptable to the palate. Alternately, it lets one use less of more expensive seasonings and spices and still get their flavor to come through.

As for the cereals, try eating them with chocolate Silk. It's sweet and I'm guessing you like chocolate milk. I'm not nuts about dry cereal either, but with Silk and raspberries or some other fruit I like with chocolate, I can eat even the most cardboard-like of cereals. I prefer oatmeal with brown sugar and fruit -- white raisins, fresh figs, dried apple, dried mango, dried pineapple, dates, etc. -- as cereals go, and that is one cereal I don't drown in chocolate Silk, but I doubt it would hurt to do so. Another way to get your cereal into your diet is to grind it into meal or powder and use it in place of white flour, which is nothing more than powdered wheat.

There's no denying that cereal is quite bland and in most cases adding salt help. To you, though, I'd suggest -- one time to see if it helps -- adding salt to cereal. It'll have to be a very, very small amount. I suggest this because salt when used in the correct amount cannot be detected in food. Chefs use salt mostly to enhance flavor, not to make food taste salty. (Of course there are things like chips that are meant to taste salty, but most of what we eat isn't meant to taste salty.)

Another alternative to cereal is to eat brown rice, corn, barley, couscous, whole wheat pasta, wild rice and other grains in their non-dried, cooked states. Barley soup, brown and wild rice mixed with some veggies, etc. are all fine. There's no rule that says one must eat all one's complex carbs at breakfast. There's also no rule that says one can't have what we in the west think of as lunch and dinner fare at breakfast. Baked beans are common offerings at breakfast buffets in China.

There's no time of day restriction on eating healthy foods; your body won't care, although it is best to start the day by giving the body some complex carbs and protein to fuel the activity that comes later. That last point being why I eat oatmeal and fish most of the time for breakfast. The sugar gives the quick energy your body will use immediately. The oatmeal and fruit provides the the slowly released energy that gets used progressively over the next few hours. The protein provides the food my muscles need to continue to grow/recover following the prior day's exercise, as well as heal after my workout. (I found that eating fish at breakfast also seems to give me more power and stamina during my a.m. workout.)

All the best and good luck.

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 06:39 PM   #43
metro44m3
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Appreciate 0
      08-30-2013, 07:13 PM   #44
Defector
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 E92

Garage List
I grew up eating all the German tasty foods...I could eat Saurbraten and Knoedel everday...that would be amazing....
Appreciate 0