F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > The Sports Lounge > NHL 2010/2011 season thread
Studio RSR

04-18-2011, 06:08 PM   #45
Doctor J
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2010 E93 M3 DCT

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdnrockies View Post
That is the most retarded statement regarding hockey that I have read in a while. Clearly you have not ever played hockey at a highly competitive level.
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=560159[

Campbell explains ruling on no Torres discipline

Monday, 04.18.2011 / 5:17 PM / 2011 Stanley Cup Playoffs: Conference Quarterfinals

NHL.com

Vancouver Canucks forward Raffi Torres will not face further discipline for a hit behind the net on Chicago Blackhawks defenseman Brent Seabrook in Sunday night's Game 3 of their Western Conference quarterfinal-round series.

NHL Senior Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell issued the following statement after reviewing the hit by Torres that resulted in a minor penalty for interference at 12:14 of the second period:

"When Rule 48 (Illegal Check to the Head) was unanimously adopted by the General Managers in March 2010, there was no intention to make this type of shoulder hit to the head illegal. In fact, at that time, we distributed a video to all players and teams that showed a similar hit on a defenseman by an attacking forward coming from the opposite direction behind the net and stated that this is a 'legal play'.

"This hit meets none of the criteria that would subject Torres to supplemental discipline, including an application of Rule 48: He did not charge his opponent or leave his feet to deliver this check. He did not deliver an elbow or extended forearm and this hit was not 'late'."

Torres was in his first game back after serving a four-game suspension for a hit on Edmonton forward Jordan Eberle in an April 5 regular-season contest.

Hit was not illegal -- says the NHL and me

I am not retarded CDNRockies and BTM -- just cause I say something you disagree with doesn't make me "retarded".

You're just sour grapes cause the Flames suck ass and Torres left your team

Last edited by Doctor J; 04-18-2011 at 06:22 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 07:55 PM   #46
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep
Drives: BMW's

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvs8 View Post
My point is...give this "rule 48"/blindside hit a few more years for the players to adapt. Pretty soon you will see the league without these types of head hunting players (Cooke, Torres, Tootoo, etc.).
That would be great if the league was finally able to rid itself of these toolbags.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ragingclue View Post
As a goalie, I usually would call out the forecheck if I had a guy facing away from the play to grab the puck or playing it behind the net. I wonder if Crawford gave Seabrook any sort of heads up, or if that isn't SOP for them.
+1

Quote:
Good point...I heard on one of the local ex-players on a post game panel mention that point too. He had mentioned that he notices that many players in today's NHL do not yell the simple "HEADS UP" sentence anymore.

I was shocked when I heard that because I always remembered telling that to my team mates or vice versa.
Steve Staios also talked about this after the game. The players do have to make some effort to protect themselves. But people forget how fast this game is in real time. It's easy to dissect it and say "coulda, woulda, shoulda" when we see it over and over again on slow motion replay. If anything hearing he was under pressure could have caused him to panic slightly and make a move he might typically have avoided.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor J View Post
http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=560159[

Campbell explains ruling on no Torres discipline

Monday, 04.18.2011 / 5:17 PM / 2011 Stanley Cup Playoffs: Conference Quarterfinals

NHL.com

Vancouver Canucks forward Raffi Torres will not face further discipline for a hit behind the net on Chicago Blackhawks defenseman Brent Seabrook in Sunday night's Game 3 of their Western Conference quarterfinal-round series.

NHL Senior Executive Vice President of Hockey Operations Colin Campbell issued the following statement after reviewing the hit by Torres that resulted in a minor penalty for interference at 12:14 of the second period:

"When Rule 48 (Illegal Check to the Head) was unanimously adopted by the General Managers in March 2010, there was no intention to make this type of shoulder hit to the head illegal. In fact, at that time, we distributed a video to all players and teams that showed a similar hit on a defenseman by an attacking forward coming from the opposite direction behind the net and stated that this is a 'legal play'.

"This hit meets none of the criteria that would subject Torres to supplemental discipline, including an application of Rule 48: He did not charge his opponent or leave his feet to deliver this check. He did not deliver an elbow or extended forearm and this hit was not 'late'."

Torres was in his first game back after serving a four-game suspension for a hit on Edmonton forward Jordan Eberle in an April 5 regular-season contest.

Hit was not illegal -- says the NHL and me

I am not retarded CDNRockies and BTM -- just cause I say something you disagree with doesn't make me "retarded".

You're just sour grapes cause the Flames suck ass and Torres left your team
Gutless call by a league that has no spine. The NHL cannot get out if it's own way to provide any consistency for any rule they try to "enforce". Just like every year, rules for the playoffs are different.

First off I'm actually cheering for the Canucks, but their fans are hilarious. Way to go...you won the President's Trophy...the only thing you have EVER one. Until you actually win something meaningful, stfu.

Secondly, I'm not a Flames fan....I grew up watching Hall of Famer's put Stanley Cup banners in the rafters year after year. We spent a decade using the 'Nucks as a punching bag to pad our stats and increase our lead in the standings.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 10:10 PM   #47
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep
Drives: VF

I'm surprised at the ruling only due to the reputation that precedes Torres. Normally the NHL takes that into account pretty religiously. However, I'm not surprised the NHL is looking out for its best interests as a business.

Buttman doesn't want poor, small market teams who boo him into oblivion (read: Detroit) or teams who thrive on their European talent (look at Ovechkin's being painted as the big bad Russian villain) when he could have the North American all-stars (Crosby, Kane, Thornton, Toews, etc....), a burgeoning market since the ridiculously successful Olympics (Vancouver), or their very own team (the fucking Coyotes; I mean c'mon now, how many sports wouldn't even put themselves in that position for conflict of interest).

Let's face it; the NHL needs money more than any of the other major sports at the moment, and the best way to do that is to play out these magnificent stories and bedroom-wall-heroes. They're so fucking obvious about it, it's sick.

I'd like to see the NHL flourish just as much as the next guy, but it's obvious there are alterior motives that run from Buttman>Campbell>Gregson>officiating crews... before these games start. For those of you that raise the BS flag to this, keep in mind the NBA has been outed for doing it as well, and if the NBA did it, you can bet your ass the NHL's front office is more than capable.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 10:23 PM   #48
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

The Coyotes are such phags. I haven't seen this many cheap shots since last year's series against San Jose. Yet magically in both series Detroit get penalized far more despite being a much less penalized team during the season, and becoming the most penalized in the playoffs... C'mon Buttman, you don't have to be so fucking obvious about your disdain for the Wings....

Doan is such a piece of shit.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 10:27 PM   #49
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
I'm surprised at the ruling only due to the reputation that precedes Torres. Normally the NHL takes that into account pretty religiously. However, I'm not surprised the NHL is looking out for its best interests as a business.

Buttman doesn't want poor, small market teams who boo him into oblivion (read: Detroit) or teams who thrive on their European talent (look at Ovechkin's being painted as the big bad Russian villain) when he could have the North American all-stars (Crosby, Kane, Thornton, Toews, etc....), a burgeoning market since the ridiculously successful Olympics (Vancouver), or their very own team (the fucking Coyotes; I mean c'mon now, how many sports wouldn't even put themselves in that position for conflict of interest).

Let's face it; the NHL needs money more than any of the other major sports at the moment, and the best way to do that is to play out these magnificent stories and bedroom-wall-heroes. They're so fucking obvious about it, it's sick.

I'd like to see the NHL flourish just as much as the next guy, but it's obvious there are alterior motives that run from Buttman>Campbell>Gregson>officiating crews... before these games start. For those of you that raise the BS flag to this, keep in mind the NBA has been outed for doing it as well, and if the NBA did it, you can bet your ass the NHL's front office is more than capable.
I agree with you that the NHL needs money/growth to gain legitimacy. The problem is that they have selected markets that can't truly support teams and there is zero consitency on decisions. Whether it be expansion, or collective bargaining, or rules they're like the keystone kops falling all over themselves.

Perfect example is the NFL addressing their issues with head shots. No pussy footing around. Rule comes in and is enforced with authority, just ask Harrison. Sadly, the NHL with their wishy washiness looks ridiculous compared to the other leagues.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 10:32 PM   #50
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
I agree with you that the NHL needs money/growth to gain legitimacy. The problem is that they have selected markets that can't truly support teams and there is zero consitency on decisions. Whether it be expansion, or collective bargaining, or rules they're like the keystone kops falling all over themselves.

Perfect example is the NFL addressing their issues with head shots. No pussy footing around. Rule comes in and is enforced with authority, just ask Harrison. Sadly, the NHL with their wishy washiness looks ridiculous compared to the other leagues.
True. I think hockey fans as a whole will be glad when the Buttman era is over. It is truly ridiculous how horribly they hinder the league's progress with their own incompetence and inconsistency.
Appreciate 0
      04-18-2011, 11:48 PM   #51
TSXforme
Stock watcher
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2017 BMW 340i xDrive

Garage List
2017 BMW 340i  [0.00]
what the NHL needs to have this league run properly is to have a true commissioner. Bettman is obviously the face of the NHL team owners...Fehr is the face of the players. It would make sense that the true commissioner is the individual who is appointed to make decisions that are the best for the game...someone who sees the "big picture."

Question for Bettman and potentially my own personal career aspirations...how can I land a raise and a contract extension when I screw things up under my watch? Let's see...Phoenix, Atlanta, Dallas, Florida and the New York Islanders are all bleeding money big time.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 12:01 AM   #52
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

Quote:
what the NHL needs to have this league run properly is to have a true commissioner. Bettman is obviously the face of the NHL team owners...Fehr is the face of the players. It would make sense that the true commissioner is the individual who is appointed to make decisions that are the best for the game...someone who sees the "big picture."

Question for Bettman and potentially my own personal career aspirations...how can I land a raise and a contract extension when I screw things up under my watch? Let's see...Phoenix, Atlanta, Dallas, Florida and the New York Islanders are all bleeding money big time.
The NHL is the victim of two big things right now: premature expansion and a lockout when they were at their biggest point of growth. Retraction wouldn't be a bad idea, but the league would never do that. Look, if you can't support these teams in these markets, and there are no open markets that can, just shut them down....

What's the difference between Government Motors and the Phoenix Coyotes? Nothing except for the fact that there may actually be a chance for a future for GM.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 10:28 AM   #53
Doctor J
Captain
Canada
Rep

Quote:

Secondly, I'm not a Flames fan....I grew up watching Hall of Famer's put Stanley Cup banners in the rafters year after year. We spent a decade using the 'Nucks as a punching bag to pad our stats and increase our lead in the standings.

Ah- you're a Oiler's fan? Still talking about the 80s are you? Jeez you're lame. Nice comeback
      04-19-2011, 10:50 AM   #54
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctor J View Post
Ah- you're a Oiler's fan? Still talking about the 80s are you? Jeez you're lame. Nice comeback
Lol! Dude, stop posting, it's clear you know fuck all about hockey.

Let's see the Oilers won their last Cup in 1990 and were to the Cup final in 2006. When was the one and only time the Canucks got to the Final? Oh that's right the '80's. One Conference title in 40 years and ZERO Cups....quite the franchise legacy...lol.

What's ironic is I'm actually cheering for the 'Nucks but you're clearly one of those bandwagon jumping douche's.
Appreciate 0
      04-19-2011, 12:04 PM   #55
Doctor J
Captain
Canada
Rep

sticks and stones you e-thug

want a cookie or something?

Last edited by Doctor J; 04-19-2011 at 12:16 PM..
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 07:55 AM   #56
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep
Drives: A///MERICAN!!!

Garage List
LOL @ Canucks implosion

Also:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barry Rozner, Daily Herald
The Vancouver Canucks have long been known as a team that will crack under the strain, succumb to the pressure and ultimately choke away a chance to win the Stanley Cup.

But now they've shown the entire NHL they're gutless, too.

Raffi Torres tops the list and Kevin Bieksa isn't far behind.
They're both fairly typical of the “new” NHL, which has created an environment where players aren't held accountable.
The players used to police these matters and settle scores — think Darren McCarty-Claude Lemieux and Dirk Graham-Vlad Konstantinov — and the game was safer because of it, but now the league would rather have Torres running around trying to end careers and never force him to answer for it.
John Scott had every intention of putting Torres in his place Tuesday night late in the game, but as he engaged Torres at the faceoff circle, referee Dan O'Rourke tossed them both, robbing the Hawks of a chance to set things straight.
That's maddening enough — and you wonder why Scott didn't wait until the puck dropped — but then Bieksa suddenly became a tough guy with Scott gone for the night.
He jumped legendary enforcer Viktor Stalberg and began throwing punches before Stalberg even knew he was in a fight.
Wow, Bieksa is some brave man. Does he kick kittens, too?
About 10 minutes earlier, Tanner Glass refused to fight Scott, and when he couldn't get Glass involved, Scott waited too long to have a conversation with Bieksa, who feigned hearing loss and wouldn't even look at Scott — the equivalent of going into the turtle.
Why does the phrase, “Hiding behind your mom's skirt,” come to mind?
Meanwhile, how did referee Brad Meier fail to call the instigator on Bieksa? He pretended not to see it because it carries a one-game suspension when it occurs in the final five minutes.
Nice job, fellas.
And then there's Vancouver coach Alain Vigneault, who's as weak as his players and encourages this spineless behavior.
You think of a guy like Ducks coach Randy Carlyle, who had James Wisniewski on the ice at the end of a game against the Hawks in March 2010 to answer for an earlier hit on Brent Seabrook.
Wisniewski knew what was coming and got the better of Nick Boynton, but that wasn't the point. Carlyle didn't want carry-over so he didn't protect Wisniewski or hide him on the bench.
That's the NHL Carlyle knows, but in Gary Bettman's NHL, Torres gets no suspension, Scott gets tossed and Vigneault has Bieksa on the ice to go after an unsuspecting Stalberg.
You can see where the Canucks get their guts.
Hopefully, this series goes long enough for the Hawks to make it right.
If not, they better have long memories.
Bobby Lu
Speaking of weak, the mentally fragile Roberto Luongo could have pulled himself at the end of the second period down 4, or even after the first goal of the third that put his team behind 6-1.
Instead, he waited until a scrum broke out 200 feet away and slithered off to cower on the bench while the UC crowd had its attention focused on other matters.
This is one strong group of men.
Case for defense
Brian Campbell leads the team in giveaways, is last in hits and was the worst Hawk for three games.
And while his poor defense is never a surprise — like on the Canucks' first goal Tuesday — an offensive defenseman is supposed to shoot the puck and he was passing up far too many good looks through three games.
It drives the Hawks' coaching staff nuts when the defense is unable or unwilling to get pucks to the net, but that's something they finally did in Game 4.
After getting 1 point with 4 shots and a minus-4 through three games, Campbell had a goal, a post, 3 shots and a plus-4 in Game 4.
No one expects him to play defense, but Campbell can help in a huge way offensively when he gets pucks to the net and joins the play the way he did Tuesday.
http://www.dailyherald.com/article/2...rts/704209798/

(yea it's a few days old sue me)
Appreciate 0
      04-25-2011, 08:28 AM   #57
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

I agree completely with the part about not having the enforcer role in hockey any more. Instead of making the game safer and less violent, I feel like it's made it much worse, catering to these cheap shotting bastards like Torres.
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 10:05 AM   #58
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
One of my favorite local sports writers on tonights Nucks/Hawks game

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dan Bernstein

CHICAGO (WSCR) Here’s all you need to know about the mental titans that are the Vancouver Canucks.

Outside their arena, immortalized in sculpted bronze, is a statue of Roger Neilson, their head coach from 1982 to 1984. Neilson is depicted waving a towel on the end of a hockey stick, as he did famously in the 1982 playoffs against the Blackhawks when he felt his team was being unfairly penalized.

Just so we’re clear here; it’s not, say, a six-time champion, like some statues outside of some arenas we may know — it’s a statue of a guy whining about officiating.

Yes, Neilson’s grandstanding started the oh-so clever Vancouver tradition of waving towels (even though the Pittsburgh Steelers first popularized the “Terrible Towel” thing in 1975 – don’t tell anybody), but it’s still odd that a team would want to remind posterity of some worthless complaints from a coach who won nothing.

These Canucks, preparing tonight to become the NHL’s first-ever top seed to be eliminated by an eight-seed after winning the first three games, are carping now about an overtime non-call of Bryan Bickell’s hit Sunday on Kevin Bieksa.

“You tell me the difference between that hit and Raffi Torres,” insecure General Manager Mike Gillis moaned to the Vancouver Province. “This one was worse. [Bickell] left his feet.” Gillis also made sure to note the ‘Hawks 15-10 power-play advantage in the last three games, probably while waving a towel on the end of a stick like an idiot.

Miserable goaltender Roberto Luongo – tonight’s announced starter — is the individual embodiment of the psychological weakness programmed into the Canucks’ DNA. He is highly talented, highly paid, and an absolute wet puddle of nerves whenever an Indian-head sweater is within three feet of him. He did the Skate of Shame off the ice in both games four and five, and then didn’t even have the guts to sit on the bench when his backup started game six. He came in because of an injury, and surrendered the winning goal in OT after spitting out a juicy rebound, upon which Ben Smith pounced.

I have no proof that he’s ever visited a sports psychologist, but he sure sounds like it. Luongo has been reduced to spouting such things as “It’s a great challenge for us. It’s fun to be part of a game seven,” and “You can’t worry about what’s happened the last three games.”

Right.

One could picture him about to go all new-agey, intoning a mantra to get his chakras aligned. Probably something like “Help,” “Yikes,” or “Oy, that red light’s on again.”

A fragile team is about to face a game that could etch them in NHL history for dubious reasons, and all Canucks involved are completely, entirely, debilitatingly aware of it. The oppressive dread is saturating the organization from the top down, making for anxious executives, skittish coaches, a goalie wound tighter than mandolin strings, and players prone to dumb, reactive penalties when things start to go wrong.

Rogers Arena will thrum with energy tonight, with fans exhorting their team and each other so as not to confront the raw current of paralyzing fear that lurks underneath, more real and powerful than the pretend hope.

Get those famous, signature white towels ready, since they’re perfect for wiping up flop-sweat.

Or the remnants of a historic meltdown.
http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2011/04/...pic-choke-job/
Appreciate 0
      04-26-2011, 11:41 PM   #59
skinrock
Agent Smith
Rep
Drives: 2016 i8

Garage List
2016 BMW i8  [10.00]
Oh boy, Canucks and Blackhawks Game 7 OT.
      04-27-2011, 12:15 AM   #60
BTM
Banned
United_States
Rep

Garage List
Solid series. Here's to hoping the Canucks wet the bed for real next series. I think the Hawks showed mettle they will take forward
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 01:27 AM   #61
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep

Wasn't pretty but the bottom line is they're through.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 09:55 AM   #62
ragingclue
One cam is enough
Rep

God damn it. I hate the fucking Sharks. Hopefully the refs will actually call penalties on them this year for their consistent and acute acts of douchebaggery. If not, the Wings are in for another rough ride.

This Vancouver/Nashville matchup is an intriguing one though. It'll be interesting to see which team gets their way with the tempo. The teams are polar opposites in the way they try to control the game.
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 09:58 AM   #63
shemeld_135
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2020 SO - M2C

Garage List
2020 BMW M2C  [0.00]
2016 BMW M2  [10.00]
LETS GO FLYERS
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 10:52 AM   #64
Cdnrockies
Banned
Canada
Rep

Quote:
God damn it. I hate the fucking Sharks. Hopefully the refs will actually call penalties on them this year for their consistent and acute acts of douchebaggery. If not, the Wings are in for another rough ride.
This series should be a war.

With the Wings getting healthier, I like their chances. Good luck to the Wings!

Quote:
This Vancouver/Nashville matchup is an intriguing one though. It'll be interesting to see which team gets their way with the tempo. The teams are polar opposites in the way they try to control the game.
Agreed.

Will be interesting to see if Vancouver's firepower heats up again, if Nashville's defensive style can contain them. Rinne is a bit of a wildcard. If he plays like the Vezina candidate that he is, he has the potential to steal games.

Nashville had to have learned something from Chicago. As soon as the Hawks started playing with some toughness, the series turned around and almost got away from the Nucks. The Preds are a much physically tougher team than the Hawks.

Let's go Canucks!!!
Appreciate 0
      04-27-2011, 11:17 AM   #65
Doctor J
Captain
Canada
Rep

What a crazy good game! Best Canucks hockey evAR!!

GO CANUCKS
      04-28-2011, 12:04 AM   #66
nordique14
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: SGM 135i 'vert

Quote:
God damn it. I hate the fucking Sharks.

Should be a great series. I will be at the first two games.
Appreciate 0