F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > New Audi commercials take not so subtle dig at BMW
Studio RSR

02-18-2010, 10:14 AM   #67
SSIMPS
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 X3 M40i

I thought we were on this forum so we didnt have to deal with this youtube-type arguing and shit sounding like a bunch of 14 year old kids
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 10:41 AM   #68
TsunamiFury
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 50i, Porsche Taycan 4S+

I think a lot of people here don't understand the position Audi is in. Their advertising campaigns are built around the boomer generation who often doesn't think much of Audis.

Audi is the least recognized luxury brand from the major ones listed here (among gearheads obviously not the case, but among normal people Audi barely comes to mind). Audi has repeatedly run commercials that merely get people thinking about Audi when they think Merc or BMW because ... most people DONT. Its their attempt at relevance, thus the super-bowl commercial last year mentioning all the other brands in a relatively favorable light.

Audi just wants people to notice them.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 10:41 AM   #69
Scorpion
Major
No_Country
Rep
Drives: Nothing

Their still pissed that BMW owned them with the Billboard checkmate haha.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 10:43 AM   #70
southlight
Moderator / European Editor
Rep
Drives: X3M

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
Does anybody remember the superbowl ad from a few years back where Jason Statham was driving a bunch of 10-15 year old BMWs, and MBs and then he got into a new Audi and liked it.
You probably mean this one

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrokenVert View Post
And then Audi said hey, were better...than 10 and 15 year old cars.
That's the way I understand it too.

Best regards,
south

JOIN THE 6MT CLUB GROUP
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 10:56 AM   #71
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TsunamiFury View Post
I think a lot of people here don't understand the position Audi is in. Their advertising campaigns are built around the boomer generation who often doesn't think much of Audis.

Audi is the least recognized luxury brand from the major ones listed here (among gearheads obviously not the case, but among normal people Audi barely comes to mind). Audi has repeatedly run commercials that merely get people thinking about Audi when they think Merc or BMW because ... most people DONT. Its their attempt at relevance, thus the super-bowl commercial last year mentioning all the other brands in a relatively favorable light.

Exactly right. When you are wanting to build a market position (without discounting cars to get it ) then you have a dig at the leaders when ever possible and in this case the market leader is BMW. But regardless of this particular ad the fact is that all the Audi cars mentioned in the ad are exceptionally good cars that at present are ahead of the competition.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 10:57 AM   #72
gemini330zhp
Major
Philippines
Rep
Drives: 2008 M3 E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimk View Post
Audi: Your move BMW
BMW: Checkmate

Haha Classic. If I lived in Santa Monica what would I need a Audi for???? Its not like the North East with snow ect....I think Audi has come a long way to what it is now. I see more Audi's now in my area than ever before. You have to admit the A5 and S5 look great. Also the R8 is a thing of Beauty. They have changed there looks and their interiors are nicer than ours. It comes down to preference. I guess I am a gear head for now. The Most powerful letter in the world M.

Last edited by gemini330zhp; 02-18-2010 at 11:05 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 10:58 AM   #73
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by TsunamiFury View Post

that is true. there current lineup is much better than their old one. they are getting better and it is all good for us buyers.

I like the s5 interior very much, not feeling the interior of the regular a4/a5. I sat in them and they felt blah. it seemed like the recaro seat in the s4/s5 made a world of a different when you look at it.

m3 interior is on par or slightly better than the s5 interior IMO and i love how you can have some cool leather color in the m3 such as the carbon dash leather, silver/extend, etc. the material in the m3 seems to be thicker than that on the s5 interior. I happen to love the double hump dash in the m3 too which allow the NAV to stay at your eye level instead of looking down for your direction (more dangerous). not sure how the regular 3 series stack up to audi a4/a5 as I have not sit in one, so can't comment on that. I saw in the isf and c63, i think those two are a step below m3 or s5 in term of interior quality/design. their seats suck.

funny thing is, I saw in the new evo and ex35/fx35, I felt those car have better seats than both audi s5 and m3. Not sure why, but they fit like a glove to me. Not to say the s5/m3 are not comfortable, they are just not as comfortable as the evo or infiniti. i wonder if someone else felt the same way.

btw, e46 m3 seat is the worse. I have to admit it is actually worse than the seat in my 94 accord. LOL

Last edited by graider; 02-18-2010 at 11:09 AM..
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 11:01 AM   #74
e90-ZeRo
Prone to sudden bursts of acceleration
United_States
Rep
Drives: 3-Series

Quote:
Originally Posted by ENINTY View Post
Glorified Volkswagons. BFD. Notice how any BMW commercial never tries to compare a BMW to another brand? Ever notice that every magazine article always mentions BMW as the bench mark?
So true. It's even more sad that Audi's lineup mimics BMW's EXACTLY.

BMW is truly the benchmark. :]
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 11:07 AM   #75
kinan_sleiman2006
Lieutenant
Syria
Rep
Drives: BMW X3

Thumbs down

i hate Audi...
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 11:14 AM   #76
footie
Major General
No_Country
Rep
Drives: i4M50

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by TyPe-ZeRo View Post
So true. It's even more sad that Audi's lineup mimics BMW's EXACTLY.

BMW is truly the benchmark. :]
If that were true then surely Audi would be rwd and you could make that argument for just about any other brand out there making competing products. VW introduced the Audi brand to simple move into a sector and price point where VW couldn't go and be successful in much the same way as Mercedes and BMW use their Maybach and Rolls Royce products. I personally think it's great we still have such a diverse range of brands competing for your attention, it makes for a very competitive and initiative collection of models.

Though I totally agree that BMW do set the trend with niche models more so than any other brand.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 11:27 AM   #77
Add1ct
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 135i, 335i

if audi were so confident in their cars and really wanted to ovetake BMW they'd take a huge risk and bump up their own lease residuals by 10-15% per car over the 24 and 36 month periods. that's part of why BMWs (namely the 1,3 and 5) sell so well. I don't think Audi's in any position to do this judging by their lease rates. I really like Audis and I am considering one for my next car but they really don't feel the same. There's something special about the BMW steering, clutch and brake feel.
      02-18-2010, 11:33 AM   #78
MI6
The World is Not Enough
United_States
Rep
Drives: Aston DBS-R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Add1ct View Post
if audi were so confident in their cars and really wanted to ovetake BMW they'd take a huge risk and bump up their own lease residuals by 10-15% per car over the 24 and 36 month periods. that's part of why BMWs (namely the 1,3 and 5) sell so well. I don't think Audi's in any position to do this judging by their lease rates. I really like Audis and I am considering one for my next car but they really don't feel the same. There's something special about the BMW steering, clutch and brake feel.
Leasing can be a dangerous game- Audi parent VW is waaaaaaay to conservative to do that. Nor do they need to- worldwide Audi is in great shape, even more so now that China is the #1 market in the world for cars and they buy a LOT of Audi's.

But that aside, all brands have good and bad models. There's some Audi's I really like, some I don't- same for Bimmer and Merc. It just depends on the model. The ads are great though- I would love to see BMW come back with some good stuff in return.

Nothing like good advertising......
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 11:33 AM   #79
Jonny550
Brigadier General
Rep
Drives: 2012 550i Xdrive

what idiots.

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 11:58 AM   #80
graider
Colonel
Rep
Drives: py/kiwi e46 m3

Quote:
Originally Posted by cooldude View Post
so do hyundai :lol
they try to say they are better than toyota
now they do, because they don't have the stuck pedal.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 12:09 PM   #81
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

Quote:
Originally Posted by graider View Post
now they do, because they don't have the stuck pedal.
My physics prof was reviewing balanced forces today and was like..."Its kinda like when the gas pedal in your Prius gets stuck and you end up driving into a Mack Truck. Remember that the Prius exerts the same amount of energy on the truck that the truck exerts on the Prius."

Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 12:13 PM   #82
billspreston
Colonel
Rep
Drives: G87

Quote:
Originally Posted by LI E90 View Post
the second ad is terrific.. very well done
I really liked the second ad too. When the Merc guys drop their keys and the kid sees the R8 from the window are classic.

I don't have a problem with Audi at all. They make some really nice cars. Healthy competition for BMW is good for all of us.
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 12:17 PM   #83
TsunamiFury
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW X7 50i, Porsche Taycan 4S+

I like audi's new line as well, and they'd have a customer if their base A4 was cheaper than the base 3. But FWD, 2.0 Turbo, less options, no warrantee, and more expensive?! No thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 12:34 PM   #84
fast4door
Captain
Rep
Drives: E60 M5

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimk View Post
Audi: Your move BMW
BMW: Checkmate
thats awesome i love it!!
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 12:51 PM   #85
///Mikey F80
Aspiring Hoonigan...
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2018 ///M3 [MW|CB]

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Railgun View Post
I find it funny that everyone just flat out says BMW>everyone else, but that's all they say. How about you actually drive the competition yourself long enough to make your own objective opinions without influence.

Better how? Lap times? How many of you track yours? Comfort? I can't comment enough on that, but based on what? Two minutes sitting down? What about an hour drive?

Looks? Arguably Audi is better

Interior? The new Audi's are much better designed.

Ergonomics? I can't say, but any surprise that the new iDrive is as similar to Audi's MMI?

Performance? BMW, but not by a wide margin. Compare an xi to quattro to make the better comparison since I'm sure the vast majority of Audis are sold with AWD (I can't cite that so correct me if I'm wrong). But taking performance as a whole, what are the criteria? 0-60? 1/4 times? 50-70? What?

And I'm so tired of that BMW billboard. They compare an M3 to an A4...well no f'n sh** checkmate.
Then why do you own a BMW? I mean Audis are SO much better... right?

"I was told it captures my essence."

Oh yeah, well I was told that glittery LED running lights are all that matter.

The only thing Audi is doing in these commercials is admitting they were once in second, third, and maybe even fourth place. The funny thing is that they still are.

"It's a yobbo, yobbo, yobbo... But we like that in an M3 don't we?"
-Chris Harris
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 01:05 PM   #86
Oulixes
Lieutenant Colonel
Rep
Drives: 330xi, 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWinNorthdakota View Post
Audi is airing two new commercials during the Winter Olympics currently underway. If you haven't yet seen it, they're not so subtle digs against Audi's main rivals - BMW and Lexus. Check out the spots inside.

Why does Audi constantly play the "I am better than you" Game via their marketing.
I like Audi commercials - they are crude and effective, as this thread shows. Also, it is refreshing when a car company has commercials about cars, not "joy."
Appreciate 0
      02-18-2010, 01:08 PM   #87
201 E9D2x
The Ultimate Bragging Machine
Rep
Drives: 2009 BMW 335i Xdrive

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMWinNorthdakota View Post
Have you seen the most recent attempt on behalf of Audi? It just aired during the Olympics on NBC. Like any other Audi ad, it relied mostly on the image of a R8.
Chop chop BMW, lets see this super car in the works please.
thank you i said the same thing last night..yea they have M and Alpina but they do need a super car.
      02-18-2010, 01:23 PM   #88
Matski
Captain
England
Rep
Drives: A slow BMW

Firstly, I have no real problem with Audi products, I even quite like 1 or 2,.. well actually only one now the A8 has gotten fugly (I admit it, I like the A5 Sport Back). The R8 is massively over hyped and quite badly proportioned IMO. But, let's be honest, they are not bad products....

However, this is getting ridiculous. Nobody likes people that try and make themselves popular by deriding other people, so why do Audi think that it would make them look good?

They are saying, "If you drive a BMW, Lexus or Mercedes, then your are Stupid, boring and unimaginative..." GREAT... so let me get this straight... the are insulting the people they hope to tempt into buying an Audi... .... right yeah, good idea that.

The full BMW "Joy" advert is a much better advert IMO. It promotes positive emotions, rather than being arrogant and slagging off other peoples stuff. It shows the current line-up, it explains the companies philosophy, it shows the companies heritage, and (bet of all IMO) tips a nod to us BMW enthusiasts. BMW recognise what and who they are and that is what they try and push. All Audi do is gloat about stuff that nobody cares about.

BMW gave us BMWfilms.com
Audi gave us "Meet the Beckers"
BMW recognise the importance of making people feel good
Audi try make people for stupid and boring

... says it all about the mentality of Audi, and the people that buy into the brand.

Please, BMW, do not lower yourselves to respond in a similar fashion.

[u2b]<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/JSlyK5w8AQg&hl=en_GB&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/JSlyK5w8AQg&hl=en_GB&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>[/u2b]
Appreciate 0