F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > Review: E92 M3 vs E82 135i
Studio RSR

02-19-2009, 12:09 AM   #23
E82tt6
Colonel
Rep
Drives: '08 Black Saphire Z4 MC

Quote:
Originally Posted by SLO View Post
I'm glad you said it...I was going to the say the exact same thing!!
I put that toolbox on ignore a while back. He's nothing more than a bad troll.
Appreciate 0
      02-19-2009, 07:56 AM   #24
J.P.
Close to bein Bannned
United_States
Rep
Drives: Pussy Magnet

DON'T FEED THE TROLL!!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sexye92 View Post
JERRYS MOM= BEST HEAD OF MY LIFE
Appreciate 0
      02-20-2009, 11:26 AM   #25
armyav8tor
n1smo
United_States
Rep
Drives: E92 M3

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by MVF4Rrider View Post
Yeah, boost starts below 2,000 (where not needed) and ends at 5,000 (where needed). The motor looses 100 lb-ft of torque where it needs it most. Therefore, if you like this motor, don't ever think of yourself as a spirited driver. Spirited driver's don't find fun at low rpms. Please get the 135i. You're not the M3 type.
Pretty accurate statement to me.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 01:36 AM   #26
guardianangel3290
Free at last
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 2006 Audi S-line Quattro

From Edmunds Inside Line:
Quote:
(the 9th reason the 135i is better than the M3) M guys: Like buying a Corvette or a Mustang or a Ferrari, when you buy an M car you have to buy a jacket with the M badge on the back. And the keychain with the M. And some cool M badges with the colors of the German flag instead of the M stripes. And you've got to wave at other M cars. And then you've gotta disapprove of every other fast car for not being an M. It's a vicious circle and I just don't have the time to join a cult...
its so true lol
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 05:22 AM   #27
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep
Drives: 997S, MV Agusta F4, E46 M3

Quote:
Originally Posted by armyav8tor View Post
Pretty accurate statement to me.

1. They live in the States, so they don't know what they're missing when it comes to high rpm, fast driving.
2. They don't understand engine torque equals acceleration, not horsepower; and gearing is a torque multiplier. The N54 has very respectable torque in terms of the motor only, but the overall gearing makes it yield much less than your car (much much less). Your car puts down measurably more torque to the pavement, which is why it's quicker; and being a NA motor with individual throttle bodies the throttle repsonse can't be matched. Plus your car is geared for a much higher top speed, and only rev limited in 6th gear.

Ultimately the cars are world's apart when you look at every aspect. That's not meant to be contentious, just the simple truth. There are many reasons why one would buy a 135i over a new M3, but "better" and "more fun" are not two of them. Comparing the two really makes no sense. You get what you pay for. No one in their right mind would take a 135i over a M3 if price weren't a factor.
      02-21-2009, 10:38 AM   #28
Joey_T
That's me...
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
1. They live in the States, so they don't know what they're missing when it comes to high rpm, fast driving.
2. They don't understand engine torque equals acceleration, not horsepower; and gearing is a torque multiplier. The N54 has very respectable torque in terms of the motor only, but the overall gearing makes it yield much less than your car (much much less). Your car puts down measurably more torque to the pavement, which is why it's quicker; and being a NA motor with individual throttle bodies the throttle repsonse can't be matched. Plus your car is geared for a much higher top speed, and only rev limited in 6th gear.

Ultimately the cars are world's apart when you look at every aspect. That's not meant to be contentious, just the simple truth. There are many reasons why one would buy a 135i over a new M3, but "better" and "more fun" are not two of them. Comparing the two really makes no sense. You get what you pay for. No one in their right mind would take a 135i over a M3 if price weren't a factor.
First of all I would like to say that I don't want to argue with anyone. M3 is a cracking car with a very good grip. I love it. It's obvious that stock for stock it will outperform 135i on the track. And now to part two. I don't know why some people just can't accept that the 135i is a cracking car as well (it's not meant to be M car). Regarding gearing and power to the pavement - why is it then with it's tall gearing just as fast as a short geared Z4 M?

Just searched youtube and those are two videos I found (within 30 seconds):

135i:

M3:

Pick up a stopwatch and tell me about huge difference in acceleration (between 100 and 210 km/h)...

P.S. Just to be clear - if the price difference between both cars wasn't so huge I think I would have taken the M3. But as a daily driver it's hard to justify the extra cost (base price 41000 EUR vs 74000 EUR) for roughly the same performance.
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 11:09 AM   #29
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep

^^ Acceleration alone is not the standard in which these cars should be judged. All these cars are near the same in that department. Afterall, the cars are created to operate in the real world by ordinary consumers and are compromised between power and fuel economy. With the M cars you typically get a bit quicker acceleration and a higher terminal speed. Neither of those two factors influenced my purchase. I considered the M3, Cayman S, and Z4 M. As I really wanted a sports car versus GT that ruled out the M3. While I like the Cayman S a lot I think the rare Z4 M has a coolness factor to it that is hard to match. It's the most fun car I've ever driven so I'm pretty happy with my choice. BTW, I did so serious autobahn hauling today. Throttle response is amazing even in top gear at speeds over 140 mph. I have 4,000 miles in a 135i. There's really no comparison when it comes to the thrills of driving. I'm sure the Cayman S would have been a great car to own and operate as well. Maybe some day...
      02-21-2009, 12:06 PM   #30
Joey_T
That's me...
Rep
Drives: 135i

Quote:
^^ Acceleration alone is not the standard in which these cars should be judged. All these cars are near the same in that department. Afterall, the cars are created to operate in the real world by ordinary consumers and are compromised between power and fuel economy. With the M cars you typically get a bit quicker acceleration and a higher terminal speed. Neither of those two factors influenced my purchase. I considered the M3, Cayman S, and Z4 M. As I really wanted a sports car versus GT that ruled out the M3. While I like the Cayman S a lot I think the rare Z4 M has a coolness factor to it that is hard to match. It's the most fun car I've ever driven so I'm pretty happy with my choice. BTW, I did so serious autobahn hauling today. Throttle response is amazing even in top gear at speeds over 140 mph. I have 4,000 miles in a 135i. There's really no comparison when it comes to the thrills of driving. I'm sure the Cayman S would have been a great car to own and operate as well. Maybe some day...
I remember you now. You used to have a different username on 1addicts, didn't you? I agree with what you said in this post. Throttle response turbocharged vs NA is very different. I've never driven a Z4 M, but did have a chance to test a Cayman S and loved it. How a car feels is strictly subjective and if you like your Z4 M then you made the right choice But keep in mind that someone could say the exact opposite and neither of answers is wrong - so there is no point of arguing who is right...
Appreciate 0
      02-21-2009, 12:43 PM   #31
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

It's a great compact car and offers a lot of bang for the buck. My wife wants one as her next (from her 540i).

But it's not an M-car. Yes, I have driven both and with respect to OP you can turn off the driver's aids so you don't let them drive you. I want something more bespoke in engine build and design focus of M-div.

Also, and this is irrelevant to most but some do need a bit more interior size and at 6'' 3" I find the 1er cramped. I could totally go, though, for a stripper 1er (and I mean no luxo stuff) for track day fun. Just not a primary car. I went through the same logic over not choosing a 2010 Cayman S over an E92.

I enjoyed your review and I sincerely hope you have a blast in your modded 135i

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i

Last edited by Voltigeur; 02-21-2009 at 01:04 PM..
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 04:33 AM   #32
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by guardianangel3290 View Post

its so true lol

Quote:
(the 9th reason the 135i is better than the M3) M guys: Like buying a Corvette or a Mustang or a Ferrari, when you buy an M car you have to buy a jacket with the M badge on the back. And the keychain with the M. And some cool M badges with the colors of the German flag instead of the M stripes. And you've got to wave at other M cars. And then you've gotta disapprove of every other fast car for not being an M. It's a vicious circle and I just don't have the time to join a cult...
There's actually some truth to Edmund's thought there but for sure it's more entertainment than truly accurate, especially in ref to M cars as opposed to Corvettes or American muscle cars. People do like to associate themselves with something tangible. It's really more pride in their purchase than a search for cult status (exception: Harley Davidson). I can't remember which is #1 and #2 in tattoos worldwide...H-D or "Mom." Same thing in the Air Force as people often identify themselves with the aircraft type(s) on base even if their job is not flying related. When I picked up my M car, I was given a little carbon fiber M key chain and a really nice fitted black M t-shirt. I use the keychain as it's small, subtle, and nice. I've yet to wear the shirt (even though it fits perfectly with my runner's build). I guess if 135i owners are so concerned over such things they should remove the M badges from the car?
      02-22-2009, 09:22 AM   #33
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep
Drives: various bmw's

Quote:
I guess if 135i owners are so concerned over such things they should remove the M badges from the car?
no, M owners are concerned over such things, people are badge whores

having owned an M, and now a 135i I don't really care about badges I care about how the car feels and drives

that's why I'm in a 135i
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 09:55 AM   #34
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by imported_mega View Post
I care about how the car feels and drives

that's why I'm in a 135i
Funny, that's why I sold my 135i. Just too muted of a driving experience for me. Never driven a 2nd gen M3 (have ridden in one), but all I ever hear is how wonderful they drive and how connected the driver is to the road. You must be really missing it...
      02-22-2009, 09:56 AM   #35
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Funny, that's why I sold my 135i. Just too muted of a driving experience for me. Never driven a 2nd gen M3 (have ridden in one), but all I ever hear is how wonderful they drive and how connected the driver is to the road. You must be really missing it...
not at all, the 135i feels better to me, much more cozy cockpit, and i use that term loosely as it seems most bmw owners are acting like it lately
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 10:15 AM   #36
mpower03
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 08 z4 M Coupe

m cars are more agressive cars. they appeal to a different crowd of people. ad the 135 appeals to the majority of people. bmw designed the 135 as a car that people could enjoy in the city. m cars are for people who like the driving experience and people who actually drive the car not the car drives them. so why on earth would bmw offer a non m car that outperforms their m series if their m series is performance oriented.
      02-22-2009, 10:17 AM   #37
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpower03 View Post
m cars are more agressive cars. they appeal to a different crowd of people. ad the 135 appeals to the majority of people. bmw designed the 135 as a car that people could enjoy in the city. m cars are for people who like the driving experience and people who actually drive the car not the car drives them. so why on earth would bmw offer a non m car that outperforms their m series if their m series is performance oriented.
just because it has an M badge does not make it a different driving experience, don't be a badge whore

and you may want to look at the performance stats on the 135i, re: your comment about performance
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 10:23 AM   #38
mpower03
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
just because it has an M badge does not make it a different driving experience, don't be a badge whore

and you may want to look at the performance stats on the 135i, re: your comment about performance

i am not being a badge whore, as i love the 135 a lot and consider to own one. like i said the performance that the 135 meets is going to be used in the city. it is just plain and simple bmw offers a performance line of cars, why on earth would they manufacturer a car the out performs on of them. and if your going to say that their is performance parts that bmw offers for the 135, it only gets them one step closer to an m car. now i am not being a badge whore and i can give a sh** if my car is a m or not, but it would be a poor strategy on bmw's part to offer a car that excels a m car.
      02-22-2009, 10:25 AM   #39
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
but it would be a poor strategy on bmw's part to offer a car that excels a m car.
but they did exactly that, so now what?

the performance on the 135i and the current m3 are so close, it came down to which felt better to drive for me, that's how I decided which one to buy

I don't get to drive over 100mph often, that may have changed my choice
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 10:55 AM   #40
MVF4Rrider
PCA, BMWCCA
Rep

Quote:
Well I do, and the 135i is not the choice car you want at high speeds (130+). It's not very planted. I drove it to 150 mph on my test drive in a German spec 135i. I was very busy keeping it in the lane as it wanted to walk all over. I'm not used to having to do that. It also felt like it was going quicker than it was, which isn't a good thing either. Yesterday I was out in my Z4 M doing the same speeds and completely relaxed (as normal) and the car is extremely well planted. That's not to say you don't need to pay attention to what you're doing in the Z4 M as the steering is so quick and precise. But it drives like it's on rails, even at very high speeds.

I completely agree with mpower03 in that the 135i's forte is city driving, or sub-triple-digit-speeds driving. The motor seems best at cruising rpms where if need be, a quick stab on the throttle will get you past someone for example. M cars would require you to downshift in a similar situation, but the throttle response and rev happy motor would make it worth the effort.

I still think the 135i is a nice car, but it's no M3 even if you never take it to the limit. I've driven the new M3 a few times and the car is so rock solid. Steering is amazing and the car feels like it's much lighter than it is. I almost bought one, but in the end didn't want that big of a car with that poor of fuel economy, and I kept finding myself eyeing the Z4 M Coupe in the showroom. I wanted this car for pure fun, not multi-functionality, so I'm happy in my choice.

I'm optimistic the next generation 1er will be much improved since it won't be just a converted 4 door hatch which really limited what BMW could do to not only interior space but, but space for proper wheel sizes, etc.
      02-22-2009, 11:02 AM   #41
mpower03
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
but they did exactly that, so now what?

the performance on the 135i and the current m3 are so close, it came down to which felt better to drive for me, that's how I decided which one to buy

im not going to argue you with you anymore, as i feel the 135 is a great car, but you clearly don't understand what the m3 is about. the 135 does exactly as it was supposed to and so does the m3. the 135 meets the fun factor as a daily driver car. and the m3 meets its intention in every category. now performance may cross in some area like 0-60, but it doesn't match every aspect of the m3. what is bmw's slogan? the ultimate driving machine. Bmw tried to create a car that would satisfy the majority of the people that would like to have a fun, zippy, comfotable but yet tight car. And they created the 135 as it would be consider the ultimate driving machine in its intentions. Bmw also wanted to make a car that was versitle, they wanted to create a car that could be driven on street and track, while not jepordizing one for the other,(though it is a little more suited for the track, but makes a wonderful daily driver) comfort over performance. and they did just that they created the m3. again another ultimate driving machine in its class. the two cars are very different. and the drivers of each car a very different. i don't know what your definition of performance is but to me it is handling, acceleration, top speed, and most importantly the way the driver is connected to the car and the road. it sounds like all you care about is acceleration and you picked a great car just for that! yanyway, don't mean to sound like a dick (which you proably think i am), but i just wanted to point out the obivious.
      02-22-2009, 11:30 AM   #42
imported_mega
Colonel
No_Country
Rep

Quote:
it sounds like all you care about is acceleration and you picked a great car just for that! yanyway, don't mean to sound like a dick (which you proably think i am), but i just wanted to point out the obivious.
your just trolling, it's very clear your not interested in a conversation, but telling me what I like and don't like

and trying to tell other owners why they like or don't like a car

good luck with that, unsubscribing
Appreciate 0
      02-22-2009, 11:46 AM   #43
mpower03
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
your just trolling, it's very clear your not interested in a conversation, but telling me what I like and don't like

and trying to tell other owners why they like or don't like a car

good luck with that, unsubscribing
im am just making an opinion based off of what i observed. i am also not telling why people like their car i am telling why bmw made those car, i might be wrong but that is just my opinion to it. you opinion to it is completly different. oh and you told me that i am a badge whore, so your telling me why i like my car. what i said and what you said are two different things. anyway enjoy your car, its a nice car, and no hard feelings.
      02-22-2009, 01:26 PM   #44
Voltigeur
MacroRisk
Australia
Rep
Drives: M3 E92 ED'09 / 335d Sport DD

-

The level of attention that goes into an M-car, up to 80% of parts are changed / modified depending on the model & function:

http://videos.streetfire.net/video/T...ess_163340.htm

135i is great, but is not at this level engineering - what can't be seen / measured precisely.

Just thinking of something not so witty
///M3 E92 '09 Jerez Black | 6MT | Ext Fox Red | Tech | Prem | 19s |Heated Seats | iPod |Smartphone | Euro Deliv June 09
Sold: 540iT / 530i / 323i
Appreciate 0