BMW 1 Series Coupe Forum / 1 Series Convertible Forum (1M / tii / 135i / 128i / Coupe / Cabrio / Hatchback) (BMW E82 E88 128i 130i 135i)

03-11-2014, 09:16 AM   #1
TheRuss
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW 135i

ANybody using Hawk HPS pads?

Hi folks,

I currently need new discs due to a vibration that I'm getting when braking, which a top-up bed in procedure couldn't cure.

I'm looking at the ECS 2 piece discs and their rear drilled and grooved discs as well - and they do a package that includes Hawk HPS pads. However, I've read here before about certain pads "slopping about" in the calipers - has anybody had this happen with the Hawk HPS pads?

Just to clarify, I'm talking about the clunk that you can get if you brake in reverse, then drive forwards and brake - the pad moving up in the caliper and making a clunk sound. I just know that'd drive me mad, so want to be sure that the Hawk HPS pads don't suffer this before I place any order and get them shipped across the Atlantic.

Thanks in advance!

*Edit* Also, if anybody has any experience with the ECS discs I'd be happy to hear it, good or bad. Need as much info as possible before I commit to something that I'll be stuck with for a few years. Thanks again.
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 04:37 PM   #2
N61WP
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Convertible

I just ordered this same complete kit from ECS. Did you ever get your installed, and if so, can you give a quick review?

Thanks,
James
Appreciate 0
      04-23-2014, 04:41 PM   #3
TheRuss
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi James, I just got done fitting the rears on Monday. Not bed them in yet and I'm currently having issues with my new wheels and tyres rubbing, so I'm nursing the car everywhere.

FWIW, the ECS stuff seems good. It all fitted well. And I like how they included the stainless rotor retaining bolts in the package. I only used one sachet of brake grease for all 4 corners, even though they give you two. Once they are bed in I'll be able to evaluate them more, but that won't happen until I get the tyres sorted.
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 05:33 PM   #4
N61WP
Rep
Drives: 2008 135i Convertible

Okay. Just got them put on yesterday. You're right, the ECS rotors look really well made and the front 2 piece ones are 4 lbs lighter per side then the stock. Can't hurt. I was disappointed that they didn't currently have the same rotor available for the rear.

I bedded in the HPS pads this morning. I followed Hawk's directions and it was quick and uneventful. There were no squeals, for which I was grateful. I was hoping for quiet brakes. I'll report back any issues as I use them.
James
Appreciate 0
      05-03-2014, 06:00 PM   #5
TheRuss
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Apparently because of the handbrake design they can't make a 2 piece rotor for the rear, or at least it'd mean modifying other parts of the rear hub/disc assembly to work.

I've still not bedded mine in due to tyre/wheel issues, but need to do it soon.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 12:22 PM   #6
miggs
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: LeMans Blue 135

How are these brakes holding up 4 months later?
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2014, 04:25 PM   #7
TheRuss
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Only bed them in last weekend, but they work fine. I don't track my car, but on the road they work just as well as the ones I took off. They're lighter and the centres aren't corroded, so that's a benefit over the standard brakes. I doubt I'll ever overheat them.
Appreciate 0
      09-02-2014, 07:01 PM   #8
cougarpoop
Registered
Rep
Drives: '09 135i

Brake wear sensor compatibility

Do the front HPS pads have a space for the wear sensor?

NVM, looks like they sell the set WITH a wear sensor, so it must have space.

Last edited by cougarpoop; 09-02-2014 at 07:26 PM..
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 04:09 AM   #9
TheRuss
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Yes, both fronts and rears have the sensor fittings.
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 06:40 AM   #10
Southjersey128
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
How is the initial "bite" on the Hawks? Also, is the brake dust any better than OE. My front pads have been making noise for a while now. I was going to just replace them with Textar's, but the OE pads that came with my Performance BBK started to make noise after 2 years and 12k miles. There is still plenty of pad life left but they squeal pretty badly, esp. when its humid. I know greasing them will help, but If I am going to take them out I might as well replace them.
Afe Scoops and CAI, PBX, BMS Paddleshift upgrade, 261M's Powder Coated Gunmetal, 225/255 Michelin PSS, (BMW Performance: BBK, Illuminated Door Sills, Shifter Knob and Boot, E-Brake Handle, Steering Wheel, Front Strut Bar), E93 FSB, E92 RSB, M3 Rear Subframe Bushings, M3 Front Control Arms, HPA coilover kit (Koni Adjustables and Swift Springs), Steel Brake Hoses, Black Kidneys, Smoked LED side markers, Blacklines, Msport lip spoiler...
Appreciate 0
      09-03-2014, 07:48 AM   #11
TheRuss
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

For me the initial bite doesn't seem to have changed. At least not noticeably. It's still very good. As for dust, I don't really know - I've not washed the car since I bedded them in the other week, and the bed in is supposed to help reduce the dust. Also, I fitted new wheels that I'd applied a nano sealant to shortly after fitting the new brakes, so they should naturally repel the dust more anyway. There seems to be less dust now, but that could be the result of the sealant. I have a gut feeling that they are marginally better than the stock pads in that regard though, but can't offer any scientific evidence to support that.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 12:12 AM   #12
SaviorXi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southjersey128 View Post
How is the initial "bite" on the Hawks? Also, is the brake dust any better than OE. My front pads have been making noise for a while now. I was going to just replace them with Textar's, but the OE pads that came with my Performance BBK started to make noise after 2 years and 12k miles. There is still plenty of pad life left but they squeal pretty badly, esp. when its humid. I know greasing them will help, but If I am going to take them out I might as well replace them.
For the best low dust option I would recommend going padless and just downshift and use the ebrake when needed. Your wheels will remain spotless.
Appreciate 0
      09-09-2014, 05:19 AM   #13
TheRuss
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Or get wheel trims rather than alloys? Ones without any holes should keep the dust in nicely...

I washed my car this weekend and by the end of Monday my black wheels had a nice golden glow... From all the rust rubbed off the rotors. Doh.
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 04:18 PM   #14
135Pats
Major General
United_States
Rep
Drives: A few BMWs

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRuss View Post
For me the initial bite doesn't seem to have changed. At least not noticeably. It's still very good. As for dust, I don't really know - I've not washed the car since I bedded them in the other week, and the bed in is supposed to help reduce the dust. Also, I fitted new wheels that I'd applied a nano sealant to shortly after fitting the new brakes, so they should naturally repel the dust more anyway. There seems to be less dust now, but that could be the result of the sealant. I have a gut feeling that they are marginally better than the stock pads in that regard though, but can't offer any scientific evidence to support that.
Curious how you bedded them - did you follow the instruction to a T?

I've bedded them per the instructions and the squeal is still deafening when coming to a stop. At this point, i'm starting to think it isn't the pads (had Cool Carbons on prior and the same noise was apparent). The last 10-20% of pedal travel reqd. to stop the car produces an absolutely piercing squeal. It's awful.

BMWP rotors and Hawk HPS on stock calipers so nothing exotic here...Blegh.

F30 N55 XDrive EBII
Appreciate 0
      09-10-2014, 09:21 PM   #15
Southjersey128
Second Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2008 128i

Garage List
2008 BMW 128i  [10.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by SaviorXi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southjersey128 View Post
For the best low dust option I would recommend going padless and just downshift and use the ebrake when needed. Your wheels will remain spotless.
Where would I be without you
Afe Scoops and CAI, PBX, BMS Paddleshift upgrade, 261M's Powder Coated Gunmetal, 225/255 Michelin PSS, (BMW Performance: BBK, Illuminated Door Sills, Shifter Knob and Boot, E-Brake Handle, Steering Wheel, Front Strut Bar), E93 FSB, E92 RSB, M3 Rear Subframe Bushings, M3 Front Control Arms, HPA coilover kit (Koni Adjustables and Swift Springs), Steel Brake Hoses, Black Kidneys, Smoked LED side markers, Blacklines, Msport lip spoiler...
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 03:24 AM   #16
TheRuss
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by 135Pats View Post
Curious how you bedded them - did you follow the instruction to a T?

I've bedded them per the instructions and the squeal is still deafening when coming to a stop. At this point, i'm starting to think it isn't the pads (had Cool Carbons on prior and the same noise was apparent). The last 10-20% of pedal travel reqd. to stop the car produces an absolutely piercing squeal. It's awful.

BMWP rotors and Hawk HPS on stock calipers so nothing exotic here...Blegh.
Well, kinda. I did 10 hard stops from around 70 - 80 mph, then drove about a mile to cool at high speed, then did another 10 hard stops in the opposite direction from the same sorta speeds. Then again drove at high speed for about 5 - 10 miles without stopping to let them cool.

Mine didn't squeal before I bedded them in, and don't after, either.

I was very very OCD with cleaning the calipers out though, and used generous amounts of the Hawk brake lubricant on the back of the pads and the brake pins and sliding surfaces.

I also have ECS rotors all round though, which were fitted at the same time as the Hawk pads. We're your discs new when you fitted the pads? Actually, squeal isn't likely to be from any of that. Squeal is due to vibration of the pads, so it's likely that you need some proper brake paste on the back of them. Either the Hawk stuff, or Pagid/Textar sell a nice one that I've also used. It's kinda thick and almost sticky, like treacle, which probably dampens or prevents the vibrations.
Appreciate 0
      09-11-2014, 03:29 AM   #17
TheRuss
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Just to give you an idea of how OCD I was, I think the front disc and pad changes took me a whole day. Most of that time was spent cleaning out the calipers using brake cleaner and iron fallout remover. Even after hours of cleaning they weren't exactly immaculate though. It really is an arse of a job, but after I cleaned them I sealed them with some nano wheel sealant to try to keep them cleaner.

Anyway, I suggest taking the pads back out, giving everything a thorough clean, then reinstalling the pads with some brake grease/paste. Hawk do small sachets of red brake grease that could probably do all 4 corners, just about. 2 packets would be plenty. Or Pagid/Textar offer it in a small tube.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 04:29 AM   #18
Donny Rino1
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: bmw 330 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaviorXi View Post
You really shouldn't post......you have no idea what your talking about........pull the ebrake really?.
Appreciate 0
      09-12-2014, 04:49 AM   #19
TheRuss
Lieutenant
United Kingdom
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Rino1 View Post
You really shouldn't post......you have no idea what your talking about........pull the ebrake really?.
Oh, the irony!

Never heard of sarcasm?
Appreciate 0
      09-14-2014, 03:02 AM   #20
SaviorXi
Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2009 335i xDrive coupe

Garage List
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donny Rino1 View Post
Appreciate 0