F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > General BMW News and Cars Discussion > BMW Assist and Google Maps team up for "MyInfo" Service
Studio RSR

04-14-2008, 12:35 AM   #23
Fitzla
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
NO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
What part of different unit does everyone not understand? The current unit does not meet the requirements and is the reason the US has been so slow to join the party.
What I don't understand is that if I press the assist button, and have the operator look up an business for me, they can send the address directly to my nav. I have had them do it several times. And all they are doing is looking it up on the internet. If they can do it, why can't I? It is part of the Concierge service.
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 02:59 AM   #24
beatloafer
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: '07 Alpine 335i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bimmer Loyalist View Post
Zero. lol
So what do you use your Nav for? Driving to places you know how to get to?

Quote:
Originally Posted by myfirstbmw335i View Post
Save Trees...now that's funny.....Did you know that US Paper companies plant more trees each year than they need........It's a factory...they own enough property to constantly plant trees so that they will never run out of trees....sooooooo....using paper does not reduce the number of trees....at least not in North America....
Wow... you're right... I used that phrase as an expression to say... "I'll create less waste." I didn't actually think that I was saving a real tree somewhere.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluesummer View Post
i really dont find keeping the address in my for such short period of time (from my door way to my car) hard tho
Definitely not as hard as manually entering a new destination into iDrive... thats for sure! This feature would pretty much eliminate that process for me... that's worth something!
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 09:40 AM   #25
mapezzul
Special Agent
United_States
Rep
Drives: Depends on the day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fitzla View Post
What I don't understand is that if I press the assist button, and have the operator look up an business for me, they can send the address directly to my nav. I have had them do it several times. And all they are doing is looking it up on the internet. If they can do it, why can't I? It is part of the Concierge service.
It is a different system. They directly type it in and send it to the car via a direct link. The new system uses XML-> SMS and to the car, the current CDMA unit does not allow for SMS messaging (though in some versions of iDrive it is there but unable to be active) .

This is just step one of the phasing in of other technologies that rely on the GSM units, BMW was locked in to a specific unit and provider in the US, that is now not a concern and updates can be made more rapidly system wide.

GSM is a global deployment and lets just say it is easier for BMW to make strides in a more open development environment. They also do not need to develop 2 systems and that saves serious money!

Last edited by mapezzul; 04-14-2008 at 10:14 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-14-2008, 08:08 PM   #26
Fitzla
Private
Rep
Drives: 2008 BMW 535i

Quote:
Originally Posted by mapezzul View Post
It is a different system. They directly type it in and send it to the car via a direct link. The new system uses XML-> SMS and to the car, the current CDMA unit does not allow for SMS messaging (though in some versions of iDrive it is there but unable to be active) .

This is just step one of the phasing in of other technologies that rely on the GSM units, BMW was locked in to a specific unit and provider in the US, that is now not a concern and updates can be made more rapidly system wide.

GSM is a global deployment and lets just say it is easier for BMW to make strides in a more open development environment. They also do not need to develop 2 systems and that saves serious money!
Oh well. No big loss. I will just have to keep using Concierge to input my addresses.
Appreciate 0
      04-16-2008, 02:15 AM   #27
googoomas
First Lieutenant
United_States
Rep
Drives: 155mph (Stupid Limiter)

good idea, now we dont have to sit in our cars fiddling with the nav. we can just do it at our computer on a much faster and user friendly system, then get in our car and have it waiting....
Appreciate 0
      04-17-2008, 12:07 PM   #28
Slikpak
Learning Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: 12' E93 M3

anyone know if this will be available for other models....or if it will be available for older cars with idrive???
Appreciate 0
      07-02-2008, 05:37 PM   #29
HeadOn
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 08 M3 Spark. Graph. 6MT Coupe

Garage List
2008 M3 Coupe  [8.00]
Sorry to reactivate an old post. In another thread, someone mentioned that all BMWs produced after 3/08 (which I remember reading somewhere as well) will actually get the MyInfo (google maps send to car feature).

My M3 was produced 5/08. So I decided to give it a try. Successfully sent from Google Maps by using my email address that they have on file for my BMW Assist account. However, I got an immediate email to that email address from BMW stating that my car (identified by its actual VIN) does not support the feature. No big deal.

But I got curious and called BMW Assist. They told me that in fact some cars besides the X6 support this now, and they checked as said I should be able to have this feature. They told me that my car has the newer cell system, so they are researching why it isn't working and will get back to me.

Anyone tried this on their M3s in the US? In theory, you should actually have a MyInfo service in your BMW Assist menu (located in Communication). I don't see the MyInfo on mine.

I'll update if I learn something new.

08 M3 6MT Coupe - Sparking Graphite Metallic
Appreciate 0