F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > 2012-2019 BMW 3 and 4-Series Forums > Regional Forums > UK > 320i F31 M Sport Passive - Initial Thoughts
ARMA SPEED

03-09-2013, 03:48 AM   #23
finnersj
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: F31 320i M Sport

Not had a proper run yet to to confirm the MPG but after the Volvo anything over 30 will be a bonus. Still frustrated I have to press a button every time to get it into Sport mode but apart from that everything's rosy!
      03-09-2013, 03:54 AM   #24
finnersj
United Kingdom
Rep

Interesting my E46 2 litre Coupe used to average 36/37 MPG, and my E92 2 Litre Coupe averaged 33/34 MPG so with all the talk of lower emissions I am not sure where the advances in real world economy are? Maybe I should have gone with the diesel anyway but we shall see!

Last edited by finnersj; 04-23-2013 at 02:06 AM..
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 11:29 AM   #25
finnersj
United Kingdom
Rep

Update after a few more miles
Engine is loosening up well, very quiet with a smooth torque delivery it does not feel turbocharged at all. It has a subtle power step at 4500RPM and revs smoothly with a nice rasp. It is faster than it feels pulling the high gears well but you need to rev it to really wake it up. No as bad as my old E92 320i in that department but higher gearing can mask the extra torque. The downsides are it does not have the punch of the equivalent diesel or the economy which is hovering around 30MPG at the moment due to short journeys. It feels livelier in "Sport" mode but I have to keep remembering to switch this on as it defaults to "Comfort" all the time. The ride is a great compromise being well damped and smooth but not too soft. The standard steering is firm and positive, steering precisely without too much roll and doesn't feel skittish like my E92 sometimes did. The gear change is loosening up especially in the higher ratios and has a nice precise feel. No real problems so far other than the disappointing economy and the fact I wish I had not been so tight and ordered heated seats!
      04-22-2013, 11:50 AM   #26
jenkspj
Jenkspj
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: SOON: BMW 320i Xdrive Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by finnersj View Post
Update after a few more miles
Engine is loosening up well, very quiet with a smooth torque delivery it does not feel turbocharged at all. It has a subtle power step at 4500RPM and revs smoothly with a nice rasp. It is faster than it feels pulling the high gears well but you need to rev it to really wake it up. No as bad as my old E92 320i in that department but higher gearing can mask the extra torque. The downsides are it does not have the punch of the equivalent diesel or the economy which is hovering around 30MPG at the moment due to short journeys. It feels livelier in "Sport" mode but I have to keep remembering to switch this on as it defaults to "Comfort" all the time. The ride is a great compromise being well damped and smooth but not too soft. The standard steering is firm and positive, steering precisely without too much roll and doesn't feel skittish like my E92 sometimes did. The gear change is loosening up especially in the higher ratios and has a nice precise feel. No real problems so far other than the disappointing economy and the fact I wish I had not been so tight and ordered heated seats!
Hi Finners,

Good looking car!

many thanks for all this: I'm on the point of ordering a 320i X Drive M Sport Auotmatic Touring and am undecieded about the adaptive damping.
The sales guy said "don't bother"...but down here in cash strapped South Wilts there are places where a softer ride would be welcome.
The sales guy also said the Touring X Drive M Sports cars didn't have the lowered M Sport suspension, but in all other respects it is M Sport. But the Adaptive suspension does have the lowered setting.

As this will be my car, not leased and car tax paid I just have to pay for it, but don't want to regret not getting it!

Suggestions most welcome!
Appreciate 0
      04-22-2013, 12:27 PM   #27
finnersj
United Kingdom
Rep

Hi Jenkspi

Roads are pretty rough in Hampshire too! Not sure if the X Drive rides any differently but the standard M Sport is a good compromise for me delivering a firm but comfortable ride on standard 18" wheels and it does soak up potholes well. I do tend to go for firmer suspension with my previous cars (V60 R Type, CLK AMG, E92 M Sport......you get the picture) but this is definitely the best compromise. If you are going to throw so much money at your stealer I am sure its worth asking for a back to back test? There are a lot more M Sports around now.
      04-22-2013, 01:40 PM   #28
edz_f06
Lieutenant
England
Rep
Drives: F06 640d MSport

Looking fab in white, great colour combo
      04-22-2013, 02:27 PM   #29
NISFAN
Major General
United Kingdom
Rep
Drives: BMW M2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenkspj View Post
Hi Finners,

Good looking car!

many thanks for all this: I'm on the point of ordering a 320i X Drive M Sport Auotmatic Touring and am undecieded about the adaptive damping.
The sales guy said "don't bother"...but down here in cash strapped South Wilts there are places where a softer ride would be welcome.
The sales guy also said the Touring X Drive M Sports cars didn't have the lowered M Sport suspension, but in all other respects it is M Sport. But the Adaptive suspension does have the lowered setting.

As this will be my car, not leased and car tax paid I just have to pay for it, but don't want to regret not getting it!

Suggestions most welcome!
Welcome!!!

Not sure what info you have been told on the suspension, but Adaptive doesn't change in height, it merely has a hard /soft damper setting, same spring rates. It also doesn't make an xDrive lower, it is still 10mm higher than standard M Sport sus.

FWIW, I wouldn't bother with adaptive, but then again if I were in your shoes I would also drop xDrive and go for a 328i with the cash saved....better mpg, proper BMW ride, excellent road holding and more perfromance.

Last edited by NISFAN; 04-22-2013 at 02:32 PM..
Appreciate 0