Tirerack
Use the following links to go directly to useful tirerack winter items: Tirerack Winter Tires. Gary's Winter Tire FAQ.
Using the links directly supports E90Post with tirerack sales commision!

E90Post

The Tire Rack

PLEASE HELP SUPPORT E90POST BY DOING YOUR TIRERACK SHOPPING FROM THIS BANNER, THANKS!

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > Wheels and Tires Forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack > Question about rims, tires, and comfort on 328i sedan

Wheels and Tires forum Sponsored by The Tire Rack
Please help to directly support e90post by doing your tirerack shopping from the above link. For every sale made through the link, e90post gets sponsor support to keep the site alive. Disclaimer

01-13-2011, 01:18 AM   #1
E90ninja
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i black on black

Question about rims, tires, and comfort on 328i sedan

Hey guys,

I just bought my first BMW a few months ago, a 2007 328i sedan, black on black. It's got the stock 16" rims on it, and I was thinking of trying to get 18"s on it instead, particularly these:

http://www.elementwheels.com/products.asp?cat=3623

MRR GT-7

I'm very content with the comfort of my ride right now. I don't feel the road at all, and I like that a lot. My main question is:

would getting bigger rims make my ride less comfortable? Would I feel the road more? and to what degree?

This is definitely a deciding factor on whether or not I upgrade the rims on my car. As played out as it may be, i think it would look aesthetically sick to have a blacked out car, rims included, since I'm tinting the windows and changing the lights and etc, but if it ends up making for a shittier ride then it isn't worth it.

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 03:05 AM   #2
XieJin
Private First Class
Sweden
Rep
Drives: '15 M235i xDrive

First question is if you have the sports suspension, in that case you might feel a difference. If not i believe the difference will be negligible. Obviously it depends on what tires you are putting on, RFT's seem to be harder and give a bumpier ride if you're considering them
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 07:45 AM   #3
db2112
Enlisted Member
United_States
Rep
Drives: '07 328i Sedan Sport

I would assume with stock 16" wheels that you do not have the sport suspension. You are giving up some sidewall cushion by increasing the rim size. I think 18" rims will make the ride rougher and you would feel a lot more of the road. But as XieJin said, tire selection will make a difference. I have the sport suspension with 17" wheels on my car and I wouldn't even think of going to a bigger rim - ride is harsh enough for me already.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 07:53 AM   #4
quality_sound
8 tracks of madness
United_States
Rep
Drives: Slowly

As noted above you will generally feel more of the road with shorter sidewalls, but there is a caveat. Some tires are have softer sidewalls so it's not ALL about the aspect ratio. Pirellis, for one, are pretty soft where Michelins tend to be stiffer.

Then there's the dampers. My M3, on the OEM 19s wearing the Continental ContiSport Contact3, was softer than a friends 328i on 17s when my M was in comfort mode. I test drove a 328iT and it was also stiffer than my M, I can not recall what wheel/tire combo it was wearing, however.
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 10:54 AM   #5
HighlandPete
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: BMW F11 535i Touring

Quote:
Originally Posted by E90ninja View Post
...I'm very content with the comfort of my ride right now. I don't feel the road at all, and I like that a lot. My main question is:

would getting bigger rims make my ride less comfortable? Would I feel the road more? and to what degree?

..... but if it ends up making for a shittier ride then it isn't worth it.
You may be interested in a current discussion over in the UK Technical Forum, on 'downsizing' from 18" to 17".

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=475438

HighlandPete
Appreciate 0
      01-13-2011, 07:34 PM   #6
E90ninja
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i black on black

what tires do you guys suggest for the best blend of comfort and control?
Appreciate 0