E90Post

The Tire Rack

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > DIY Guides > DIY - Homelink Retrofit (post production 09/06 without vehicle option #430 or #431)

06-17-2008, 06:40 AM   #23
nyc3r
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
Originally Posted by l4wr3nc3 View Post
congrats on getting it done!
i had to use a headlight since you weren't around to hold my light
Appreciate 0
      03-16-2009, 10:12 AM   #24
mike-y
just another bmw douche bag
United_States
Rep
Drives: 1.9L of fury

Just wanted to say thanks for the writeup, the pdf, and that handy diagram you made. I just installed a homelink mirror in my '06 yesterday, and everything went smoothly. Well, I had some trouble removing the overhead light console, because I was "missing" the tabs with the screwdriver at first (I was poking underneath them and popped out one of the little round reading lights, lol.

Anyway, figure it out and was able to wire everything up according to the pdf and the diagram. I've got one of those LED lights you strap on your head, so I was able to do it by myself in about an hour or so. garage door opener and auto-dimming work fine!

Thanks again!
Appreciate 0
      08-01-2009, 03:41 AM   #25
crazed792
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 328i

Garage List
2007 328i  [0.00]
I wanted to thank you guys as well. I just ran through a combo of your DIY and the one by darkcloud, and between the two this worked out in the end. I have an 07 328i that didn't have the premium package. Looks sweet going from a completely non powered mirror to a compass/homelink mirror with the slim downed nose. I don't really care about the auto dim since I have tinted windows, but I assume that works as well.

Anyway, the couple of problems I encountered were fairly small and people here are right that it's more frustrating then hard (though I didn't bother to disconnect my battery and did blow a fuse, whoops! ). The best advice I have is that if you're doing this and are getting hot/sweaty/angry, stop for an hour and relax. Then things are good again.
Appreciate 0
      09-19-2009, 09:27 PM   #26
3lusive
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2013 MINI JCW Hardtop

Thanks Aoshichanx I installed homelink/auto-dimming mirror to non-premium 12/05 build 325i sedan without a hitch!
Appreciate 0
      11-03-2009, 06:08 PM   #27
jlmax
Registered
Rep
Drives: e92 330d

Hello, I installed the mirror and perfect, thanks

But I have re-equipped the outside mirrors and folding autodim and autodim not work, Do you know how to get it to work? I have european e92, Thanks you

Please help me
Appreciate 0
      01-03-2010, 06:54 PM   #28
mimiandi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 323i

Garage List
2009 323i  [0.00]
Canada model?

Hi guys, I just acquired homelink + auto dimming from ebay and ordered retrofit cable from tischer.

My question is ..I noticed there is non-US cars only part in the PDF that worries me which seem to require running ground cable and what not. Has anyone from Canada or other parts have done this? Is this necessary?

My current car doesnt' have auto dim or auto folding mirror.

thanks
Appreciate 0
      01-04-2010, 08:10 PM   #29
welkerbrads
Private First Class
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 white X3

I did mine also. My hardess problem in the install was getting the wires out of the old plug. I pushed a straw up through the rubber boot and inserted the wires through the straw and they went up very smoothe. Took me about 1hr and 45 minutes. I believe I could do it in half the time. For sure the diagram of the plug that you made would have saved me some time. I also blew a fuse. Take the time and disconnect the battery.
Appreciate 0
      01-16-2010, 04:36 AM   #30
mimiandi
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: 2009 323i

Garage List
2009 323i  [0.00]
i did my retrofit today and it is working perfectly.

Some of the gotchas :

1. my retrofit cables didnt come pre-connected and the coloring was little different from this thread but if you look at the pic and the explanation in the installation PDF, you can easily figure it out. (I cut the solid brown color wire since it didnt seem to be needed)

2. Upper console was pain in the ass to take off. At the end I used the following link instruction to do it. Perhaps this may be better for those who has skinny hands like myself.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97545

3. I dont think it was mentioned in the PDF but you need to unlock the
X14288 before you can plug in the cables. There is a plastic tab that locks the cover and X14288 together.

4. Putting the cables through grommet was not so hard. I pulled the cable out of Upper console so it was easier. Also, I didnt bother with putting back the adhesive tape.

5. Homelink programming guide- go to www.homelink.com for programming instruction.

* I disconnected negative cable from the battery before starting. Not 100 % sure but some cars dont have keyhole to open the trunk???? Mine does so i was able to lock it and unlock with my key.

Was not so hard but i did make some unnecessary scratches but i could do it better next time ... drop me message if you need help.
Appreciate 0
      01-24-2010, 08:00 AM   #31
FrankoQ
Deny everything
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2006 330i; 2015 X6, S1000RR

Garage List
2015 BMW X6  [0.00]
2006 330i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by mimiandi View Post
i did my retrofit today and it is working perfectly.

Some of the gotchas :

1. my retrofit cables didnt come pre-connected and the coloring was little different from this thread but if you look at the pic and the explanation in the installation PDF, you can easily figure it out. (I cut the solid brown color wire since it didnt seem to be needed)
Same happened to me but that was better.
In this case, I just used the wires on the retro kit and reused the existing connectors.

Quote:
2. Upper console was pain in the ass to take off. At the end I used the following link instruction to do it. Perhaps this may be better for those who has skinny hands like myself.
http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=97545
Upper console was easy for me. The pain was the mirror cover.
Putting it back on took forever and I ended up bending and breaking some of the clips that hold it in place.

Quote:
3. I dont think it was mentioned in the PDF but you need to unlock the
X14288 before you can plug in the cables. There is a plastic tab that locks the cover and X14288 together.
It is mentioned on the instructions. Not as clear but it does say:
"Carefully open the secondary catch of
pins 6 – 10."

Quote:
4. Putting the cables through grommet was not so hard. I pulled the cable out of Upper console so it was easier. Also, I didnt bother with putting back the adhesive tape.
I just pulled all cables into the overhead console. it was easier then to run the wires like that.

Quote:
5. Homelink programming guide- go to www.homelink.com for programming instruction.
Thanks for the link. very helpful.

Quote:
* I disconnected negative cable from the battery before starting. Not 100 % sure but some cars dont have keyhole to open the trunk???? Mine does so i was able to lock it and unlock with my key.
Yes. I disconnected it too.

Quote:
Was not so hard but i did make some unnecessary scratches but i could do it better next time ... drop me message if you need help.
Not hard but a little bit of a pain.
Nice mod. I really like the auto dim feature.
My only complaint is that the homelink buttons only work when the car is on.

I need a drink

Appreciate 0
      02-13-2010, 10:07 AM   #32
sngencarelli
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93

Hi All,

Quick question.. This post mentions it's the retrofit for post production 9/06. My 325 has a build date of 11/05. Can I still add the autodim/compass mirror using the retrofit cable? Any difference between my build and the post 9/06 models?

Thanks!
Appreciate 0
      02-15-2010, 06:53 PM   #33
3lusive
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by sngencarelli View Post
Hi All,

Quick question.. This post mentions it's the retrofit for post production 9/06. My 325 has a build date of 11/05. Can I still add the autodim/compass mirror using the retrofit cable? Any difference between my build and the post 9/06 models?

Thanks!

Yes, I am pretty sure that you can. I have a 12/05 build 325i and I successfully retrofitted a homelink-autodim (no compass) mirror a few months ago.
Appreciate 0
      02-23-2010, 12:38 AM   #34
sngencarelli
Private
Rep
Drives: 2007 E93

Thanks so much.. Purchased a homelink-autodim-compass mirror (picked it up for $155 shipped) and installed it. Works perfectly.

Scott
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2010, 12:24 PM   #35
AndyM
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives:

Thanks for the DIY. The retorfit cable comes with a solid brown wire located in slot 10 (black harness). This is where the Brown/Black wire goes. Do I just remove this wire?
Appreciate 0
      03-18-2010, 01:54 PM   #36
3lusive
Captain
United_States
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyM View Post
Thanks for the DIY. The retorfit cable comes with a solid brown wire located in slot 10 (black harness). This is where the Brown/Black wire goes. Do I just remove this wire?
I'm pretty sure that I did not use this wire for the retrofit.
Appreciate 0
      04-07-2010, 09:59 PM   #37
fisherbln
Captain
Rep
Drives: 2007 335i Coupe

Did this on my 08/2006 production date 335i coupe and it worked perfectly. Thanks for the info!
Appreciate 0
      05-18-2010, 05:16 PM   #38
BiscottiGelato
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135i M Sport 6MT

Does home-link retrofit affect cars with Comfort Access by any chance? I heard cases on 1 addict where a car with CA but no home-link having problems after a home-link retrofit. Anyone with CA can shed some light on this?
Appreciate 0
      06-01-2010, 12:36 PM   #39
BiscottiGelato
Captain
Canada
Rep
Drives: 09 135i M Sport 6MT

Another question on this. Does the 61 12 0 434 330 retrofit harness ALWAYS have the A6 and A7 branches precut? I think for people without an existing 3 wires cable down to the mirror (2010+ non auto-dimming mirrors that does not come with the LED clown nose), A6 and A7 is needed because it's not swapped from an existing cable...

Also, where can one get grounded without routing the earth wire all the way through the A-Pillar (as according to the European instructions). As, once again for 2010+ non auto-dimming mirrors that does not come wtih the LED clown nose, there isn't an existing earth wire to swap into the new harness...

Please help!!!
Appreciate 0
      06-12-2010, 05:09 AM   #40
tim818
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: way too fast

Just finished installation and it took me about 2 hours. Not hard at all, but it does require patience. Be VERY CAREFUL when mounting/unmounting the mirror as I left a crack in my windshield , even though I was taking it really slow...

For people who have the most basic mirror (black clown nose), there is no alarm pre-wiring after March '09 production, so A6/A7 are not there as I believe those are for the blinking clown nose. The retrofit kit I have did not come with A6/A7, meaning that it was meant for pre-03/09 so that A6/A7 are 'reused'. My car does not have factory alarm so I figured there is no point for me to retrofit A6/A7.

The solid brown wire was not used, but I kept it just in case I need it. The extra wire was very helpful to get other wires go through the grommet, as I taped all wires to the brown one and used it to 'fish out' other wires since it's longer.

Tim
Appreciate 0
      08-11-2010, 08:50 PM   #41
tmo24
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i e92

OK, just joined the forum. So, I'm a noob, but not noob to forums in general. I searched and found this thread and have a question. I have an 07 335i with the 3 wire mirror. I also have a friend parting our a 2008 335i with the homelink/autodim/compass mirror. I am taking his mirror and am wondering if I can just take the wire from his car and swap it, or do I need this special retrofit cable you guys are talking about here. I am assuming in this case, I can just swap everything over. Please let me know if anyone has done it this way or if anyone knows if this is the same cable and connections. Thank you.
Appreciate 0
      08-13-2010, 01:12 PM   #42
tmo24
Major
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2007 BMW 335i e92

alright so I took the harness out of the 08 and put it in the 07 and hooked up the homelink mirror. works perfect. so if you have access to that harness, you dont have to splice anything. just plug in the new harness and go.
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 05:20 PM   #43
yxalitis
Banned
Rep
Drives: 2008 325i E90 Executive

I hope people are still reading this excellent post!
I have an Australian 2006 320d, with a very basic mirror, no wires at all!
I only want autodim, currently bidding on one for 99p!
I DO have rain and light sensors, so will I have to run a ground wire up, or can I just jumper into one that's already there.
What wires do I need JUST for autodim, there's no such thing as "homelink" here in Australia, and I don;t have an alarm either, so what wires do I need?

Any help, links etc appreciated.
Appreciate 0
      10-22-2010, 05:14 PM   #44
tylerdurdon
Private
Rep
Drives: BMW 335i

Quick question if anyone still reads this thread. I purchased the upgraded mirror on e-bay and installed it without realizing I would have to do a wiring retrofit. (just ordered the kit from Evan)

My question is this: Does anyone know if the clown-nose should operate without the retrofit being done? When I plugged in the new mirror, nothing worked (the compass/dim/homelink shouldn't have)...not even the clown-nose (I installed the alarm). Does it work after the retrofit or should it have been blinking beforehand at least?
Appreciate 0