E90Post

BMW 3-Series (E90 E92) Forum > E90 / E92 / E93 3-series Technical Forums > AUDIO/VIDEO + BLUETOOTH + Electronics/Alarm/Software > CD Changer Retrofit Parts Needed

03-13-2014, 02:45 PM   #1
RumanAmin
Enlisted Member
Rep
Drives: BMW 325d M Sport (E92)

CD Changer Retrofit Parts Needed

I’m trying to retrofit a CD changer to my E92 325 M Sport Coupe and did some digging up and found the parts I need and a set of instructions. According to the instructions (below) I need the following:

- CD Changer pre wiring (SA694) - INSTALLED
- Retrofit kit (65120409351)
- Trunk Trim (5147122411)
- CD Changer (65126967641)
- Coding

Please let me know if you can get hold of these parts or know of anyone selling and if there is anyone in London who can do the coding for me once the parts are installed, or better yet a garage who can fit and code my car.

I called up BMW Romford for parts and they’re offering the Retrofit kit and Trunk trim for a combined £109

Thanks for your help guys,
Rumman
Attached Images
File Type: pdf Car Spec.pdf (716.7 KB, 279 views)
File Type: pdf Instructions.pdf (400.9 KB, 533 views)
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 03:10 PM   #2
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep
Drives: 325xi 06 wagon MT

I don't see why you wouldn't go for usb

With something like a Dension gateway 500s bt
That would give you usb/ipod music and streaming bluetooth music.
The trouble with cassete cd changers is they all
eventually fail because there mechanical.

I guess if you can get the whole thing done real cheap
it might be worth it. BMW was charging something like 1000 US to put one in .

If you are in London I would get in touch with Makkan00 he has a sticky on one of the UK sub forums here and does stereo stuff and coding.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=704363

Last edited by ctuna; 03-13-2014 at 03:19 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 03:32 PM   #3
RumanAmin
Enlisted Member
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctuna View Post
With something like a Dension gateway 500s bt
That would give you usb/ipod music and streaming bluetooth music.
The trouble with cassete cd changers is they all
eventually fail because there mechanical.

I guess if you can get the whole thing done real cheap
it might be worth it. BMW was charging something like 1000 US to put one in .

If you are in London I would get in touch with Makkan00 he has a sticky on one of the UK sub forums here and does stereo stuff and coding.

http://www.e90post.com/forums/showthread.php?t=704363
Just checked out their site, looks awesome! Pretty new to the car so unsure of whats best. Ideally i'd love to go all digital and upgrade to CIC and get USB rather then a CD Changer, presuming a CIC upgrade would also get me a USB? Right now I just have CCC and Aux.
Appreciate 0
      03-13-2014, 03:37 PM   #4
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

You should talk to Makkan00 things aren't simple

You should talk to Makkan00 things aren't simple
there is still another module that hangs of the newest nav
called the combox to get streaming. Also its hard to do in older
cars .
Bimmertech provides factory retrofits but they are expensive I think.
A lot depends on the model year and what its outfitted with now.
USB is fairly easy you need to find out which modules
are in the car . If you have the right modules you may not have to do that much.

Last edited by ctuna; 03-13-2014 at 10:53 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 02:27 AM   #5
BOTUS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335d

Quote:
[/url]
a CD sounds much better than the garbage that comes out of 6fl USB, I have both and I put best quality possible on iphone connect by y cable and its nowhere near as good as putting the cd in the boot.

109 is dirt cheap just go buy it.

good player 60 to 140 on ebay
bracket 20
trim 29 to 59
u have to play musical chairs behind left rear side bolster to put the player in fibre optic loop (EVEN when u have pre wiring)
coding can be done before or after the fibre optics... takes less than 5 min with autologic, no downloading, its in the retrofit list on the tool

No CIC doesn't give USB audio as std.

As you have the sat nav dash then CIC and COMBOX will be about 1200 !!! vs 109
I just saw you have CCC, so car is quite high spec. Do you have Bluetooth?

To go factory USB, you need either MULF2 HIGH (or the later COMBOX), if you have a European spec car and Bluetooth you will have the MULF2 HIGH box in the boot. This same module does 6FL USB Audio and BT

If not u can add either of these for about 200 in parts or 400 fitted

If missing USB and BT get it sorted plenty will do drive in drive out COMBOX for 400 quid, an absolute bargain vs the stress and time of other ways. My guess you will be spending the next 6 months searching for parts and driving round and round to get coding done every weekend its not worth it.

NOTE: Before any retrofits get car integration updated by main BMW dealer. Other wise will for ever be chasing your tail to get diagnostics to work or subsequent retrofits to go smoothly. Car will go better all for bargain price of 1 hrs labour or 2 if they are crooks. Good luck asking, dealers hate it!!!. But after any retrofits by non BMW workshop BMW can't do it as the list of toys doesn't match what BMW think it should have and it crashes system!!!

Autologic tool will do updates and can work around added toys but takes 9 hrs plus on some cars, if BMW do it should be over in 2 hrs. (1hr of chargeable work, 2hrs of the car taking programming)... but non factory fitted toys tie them in knots. I never found anyone who would try to do any updates with autologic... I have 2 mates with them and they won't and a 3rd wanted 900 quid !!!

If you want real advice get rid... far better to buy a car with the toys than put them on after, and if starting again it would never be on a 3 series !!! By the time you've done all this and factored in your time and stress... you could have done some overtime and just bought a 2010 530d with the right toys

Next week you will be wanting to upgrade the stereo as its appalling. That's another 1000 to do it to basic std should have had in first place. Last tip DAB is absolute garbage... I have this aswell reception in almost perfect but its the rubbish quality of broadcasts that ruin it with overblown bass. Think of it as super low quality FM not an upgrade.

bargain bucket advice just get CDC and then get a pikey 2014 map disc for 20 to 25 quid. You may well get 7 digit postcode and speed cameras !!! And remember to get some ear plugs for when you realise quite how shit the stock stereo is (regardless of factory upgrade options) If I was you I'd leave like that, CIC is cool but stupid money and stereo sound done well is 1200 quid.

Last edited by BOTUS; 03-15-2014 at 03:42 AM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 10:51 AM   #6
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

You can burn your wav files to a USB

You can burn your wav files to a USB stick.
I can't here any difference between a 256 bit or higher
mp3 file and a Wav file . I would say the 128 bit and lower
mp3's are definitely garbage.

Some of the ipod interfaces use the aux input an so far anything I have heard that goes through that is noticeably degraded.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 01:47 PM   #7
BOTUS
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: E90 335d

Quote:
You can burn your wav files to a USB stick.
I can't here any difference between a 256 bit or higher
mp3 file and a Wav file . I would say the 128 bit and lower
mp3's are definitely garbage.

Some of the ipod interfaces use the aux input an so far anything I have heard that goes through that is noticeably degraded.
interesting points....

my audio does indeed go via the 3.5 jack, menu control and info goes via USB. Surely 3.5 should be better... unless what the iphone outputs via this is garbage (quite possible)

when I first fitted the CDC I had full wav on USB stick, using the same cd that put the wav on the stick I can clearly hear better nicer more detailed sound via CDC,

if all that sounds impossible I'm guessing as the sound in BMW's is so awful any colouration the CDC creates may be helping !!!
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 02:14 PM   #8
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

I think it depends on your system

I think it depends on your system.
I only have the pro radio and the aux seems way worse
than playing through the cd player and there have been
a lot of threads on there that the aux sucks.
The other thing that makes this problem harder is how good
is the signal comming from your average cell phone or even ipod.
I don't think either of these devices was designed with the audiophile
or semi audiophile in mind.
I have an newer Alpine Unit in my other car and the same files that I play
from a usb seem to sound slightly better than the ones from the cd
on that system. I always convert to 320 bit mp3 for cd's or usb.
I have tried running the wav files as and experiment and I can't really
tell a difference between wav and 320 bit mp3 .

Last edited by ctuna; 03-15-2014 at 05:45 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 03:26 PM   #9
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep
Drives: 335d

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BOTUS View Post
a CD sounds much better than the garbage that comes out of 6fl USB, I have both and I put best quality possible on iphone connect by y cable and its nowhere near as good as putting the cd in the boot.

109 is dirt cheap just go buy it.

good player 60 to 140 on ebay
bracket 20
trim 29 to 59
u have to play musical chairs behind left rear side bolster to put the player in fibre optic loop (EVEN when u have pre wiring)
coding can be done before or after the fibre optics... takes less than 5 min with autologic, no downloading, its in the retrofit list on the tool

No CIC doesn't give USB audio as std.

As you have the sat nav dash then CIC and COMBOX will be about 1200 !!! vs 109
I just saw you have CCC, so car is quite high spec. Do you have Bluetooth?

To go factory USB, you need either MULF2 HIGH (or the later COMBOX), if you have a European spec car and Bluetooth you will have the MULF2 HIGH box in the boot. This same module does 6FL USB Audio and BT

If not u can add either of these for about 200 in parts or 400 fitted

If missing USB and BT get it sorted plenty will do drive in drive out COMBOX for 400 quid, an absolute bargain vs the stress and time of other ways. My guess you will be spending the next 6 months searching for parts and driving round and round to get coding done every weekend its not worth it.

NOTE: Before any retrofits get car integration updated by main BMW dealer. Other wise will for ever be chasing your tail to get diagnostics to work or subsequent retrofits to go smoothly. Car will go better all for bargain price of 1 hrs labour or 2 if they are crooks. Good luck asking, dealers hate it!!!. But after any retrofits by non BMW workshop BMW can't do it as the list of toys doesn't match what BMW think it should have and it crashes system!!!

Autologic tool will do updates and can work around added toys but takes 9 hrs plus on some cars, if BMW do it should be over in 2 hrs. (1hr of chargeable work, 2hrs of the car taking programming)... but non factory fitted toys tie them in knots. I never found anyone who would try to do any updates with autologic... I have 2 mates with them and they won't and a 3rd wanted 900 quid !!!

If you want real advice get rid... far better to buy a car with the toys than put them on after, and if starting again it would never be on a 3 series !!! By the time you've done all this and factored in your time and stress... you could have done some overtime and just bought a 2010 530d with the right toys

Next week you will be wanting to upgrade the stereo as its appalling. That's another 1000 to do it to basic std should have had in first place. Last tip DAB is absolute garbage... I have this aswell reception in almost perfect but its the rubbish quality of broadcasts that ruin it with overblown bass. Think of it as super low quality FM not an upgrade.

bargain bucket advice just get CDC and then get a pikey 2014 map disc for 20 to 25 quid. You may well get 7 digit postcode and speed cameras !!! And remember to get some ear plugs for when you realise quite how shit the stock stereo is (regardless of factory upgrade options) If I was you I'd leave like that, CIC is cool but stupid money and stereo sound done well is 1200 quid.
I am with you on the low quality of the 6fl with the y-cable.

I have started listening to only cds now since I compared that quality with my Iphone 3g (yeah old but I am on a budget now) hooked up with the y-cable. And I do use apple lossless. That being said, I wasnt sure whether it was my old iphone or the system of connecting it. I am going to try a friend's backup iphone 4 soon and see if it is better. I really hope it is my iphone, but if that doesnt work, the basic GROM adapter (non-L7), is worth a try at about $140. Although that will require coding to cd changer. It allows a USB stick to be ported in and supports FLAC files! It claims high quality....
Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 05:44 PM   #10
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

There selling the grom for 140 now ?

If the Dension was more like 200 to 300 I would
probably try one.
Just looked at there site it say 400 bucks msrp.

Last edited by ctuna; 03-15-2014 at 05:54 PM..
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 05:58 PM   #11
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Quote:
If the Dension was more like 200 to 300 I would
probably try one.
Just looked at there site it say 400 bucks msrp.
Non L-7 no fiberoptic pickup: http://www.gromaudio.com/store/usb_adapters/index.html
Speakers: CDT Audio HD-42 comps--front doors (RAAMmat deadened), CDT ES-06 6.5" woofers--kickpanl Pods, Hertz EBX202R dual 8" ported trunk sub. Amps: Phoenix Gold RSd 500.4 (comps & pods). PG RSd 600.1 (sub). Power & Ground: 4AWG Streetwires w/RockFosgt RFDB1 distro blocks. Input: HU lineout--Kicker KISL RCA adapters--RockFosgt RFIT-6 cables--Audiocontrol Matrix--Monster cables--RSd 500.4--lineout Monstr Cabl to RSd 600.1.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 08:19 PM   #12
ctuna
Lieutenant General
Rep

Yes but that's for non Most Bus cars .

It won't work as a cd emulator on most
bus cars.
It also kind of says for cars before 06.
The most bus adapter version is 400 bucks.
Appreciate 0
      03-15-2014, 08:41 PM   #13
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Quote:
It won't work as a cd emulator on most
bus cars.
It also kind of says for cars before 06.
The most bus adapter version is 400 bucks.
Okay, my mistake, the $140 model certainly doesnt come up when I put my make, model and year in their calculator.

But the instructions show hooking up to the optical port, and the name on the $400 model is "GROM-MST3 Android Bluetooth iPhone for BMW E Series Optical Fiber(GROM-MST3-BMWO)". Sounds like, for post 2006 cars, it only supports L-7 headunits.

Well, it really doesnt matter because $400 is way too much anyway.
Appreciate 0
      03-19-2014, 07:50 PM   #14
Quasimodem
Colonel
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2009 335d US  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quasimodem View Post
I am with you on the low quality of the 6fl with the y-cable.

I have started listening to only cds now since I compared that quality with my Iphone 3g (yeah old but I am on a budget now) hooked up with the y-cable. And I do use apple lossless. That being said, I wasnt sure whether it was my old iphone or the system of connecting it. I am going to try a friend's backup iphone 4 soon and see if it is better. I really hope it is my iphone, but if that doesnt work, the basic GROM adapter (non-L7), is worth a try at about $140. Although that will require coding to cd changer. It allows a USB stick to be ported in and supports FLAC files! It claims high quality....
Okay, I borrowed an Iphone 4 from a friend and loaded it up with Apple lossless music and attached it to my y-cable in the center console. It does sound a little different from CD (I used an original factory-pressed CD), maybe a little "brighter" but I cant say it is better or worse than the CD. So my problems with my Iphone 3g sounding worse than a CD are pretty much resolved, it's my Iphone with a crappy audio out, not the BMW 6FL Y-Cable installation.
Appreciate 0
      03-20-2014, 02:35 PM   #15
RumanAmin
Enlisted Member
Rep

I was mulling over a CIC retrofit which would probably cost me around £1200 or a CD Changer and better speakers which would cost me around £600 and in the end I decided for the latter because not only would I save a hell of a lot of money, I realised; why the hell do I need a new iDrive for?! I just want to listen to good music and drive my amazing car I waited ages to buy! and guess what, the music sounds great and the car's even better

PS. All your family/friends/girlfriends just want to enjoy the ride too. They don't care if you changed the iDrive, they're amazed you even have an onboard computer! "Yeahhh, I changed the CCC to a CIC ...huh?!" = If you have to explain something to someone then it's probably not 'cool' anyway.

...Having said that, it's all about self satisfaction, you upgrade your car however the hell you like and as long as you're happy then that's all that matter.
Appreciate 0