F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > Technical Forums > Suspension | Chassis | Brakes > BMW F30 3-series Brake Failure
ARMA SPEED

09-29-2013, 01:56 AM   #67
topcat87
Banned
No_Country
Rep
Drives: F30

Looks like BMW is finally doing something
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 03:47 PM   #68
G16grancoupe
Second Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2019 f90

update....bmw requested my car be taken to dealership to be "investigated" (loaner provided).
suspected "3-4week process"

KIDDING ME?!??! is that TOOO long??
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 04:15 PM   #69
Lezam
Chillerrrr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2013328i View Post
update....bmw requested my car be taken to dealership to be "investigated" (loaner provided).

You'd rather be driving around in a car that could get you killed?
      10-01-2013, 09:20 PM   #70
bmw142
Rep
Drives: 2013 328xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick2013328i View Post

My car has been at the dealership 4 times and once for 30 days and is currently in the shop since Labor Day, with no timetable on when I will get it back. So far to try and solve the braking issue, they have replaced two vacuum pumps, a camshaft and check valve. I have heard next they will put in new brake lines, but as expected no one has them and no timetable when they will get them.

Trying to let BMW work it out and get me a new car, but getting kind of tired of all this. Take the car and ship it back to Germany and just replace my car already.

Good luck
Appreciate 0
      10-01-2013, 09:26 PM   #71
Lezam
Chillerrrr
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2011 335xi sedan

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmw142 View Post
My car has been at the dealership 4 times and once for 30 days and is currently in the shop since Labor Day, with no timetable on when I will get it back. So far to try and solve the braking issue, they have replaced two vacuum pumps, a camshaft and check valve. I have heard next they will put in new brake lines, but as expected no one has them and no timetable when they will get them.

Trying to let BMW work it out and get me a new car, but getting kind of tired of all this. Take the car and ship it back to Germany and just replace my car already.

Good luck
Why haven't you started the lemon process?
      10-02-2013, 03:40 PM   #72
G16grancoupe
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:

Good luck

update ....just dropped the car off they gave me NOT a BMW loaner vehicle (enterprise piece of crap Hyundai). Awaiting for a BMW engineer to come take a look at my car." current status.... car sitting in service no work being done to it. AFTER the anticipated 3-4 week inspection/ investigation they will handle body work... (body shop anticipated 2 week process for their end of it)

feel completely taken advantage of.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 03:41 PM   #73
G16grancoupe
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lezam View Post
Why haven't you started the lemon process?
NO i would not. but that seems a bit exaggerated of a time frame to evaluate not to mention the additional time to cosmetically fix my car doesn't it?

Last edited by G16grancoupe; 10-02-2013 at 03:55 PM..
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 03:41 PM   #74
izzyM2
Major
Rep
Drives: 24’M2/21ID.4/21’MacanGTS

Did u try and ask for at least an equal to your ride?
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 03:42 PM   #75
PK2348
First Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2021 330i xdrive

Quote:

Good luck
Sir,
You must be the most patient man on this planet.
I wish you luck.
Appreciate 0
      10-02-2013, 03:57 PM   #76
G16grancoupe
Second Lieutenant
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by izzyM3 View Post
Did u try and ask for at least an equal to your ride?
i did and he claims there was noting available. but didnt put an appointment in for me to be placed into one when the next loaner came in. NOT happy
Appreciate 0
      10-03-2013, 10:11 PM   #77
Jasun
United_States
Rep
Drives: '14 328xi GT M-Sport

Going on the third week mine has been at the dealer. Sounds like parts are 2 weeks out. At least, I have a decent loaner....but wondering if I should go the lemon route.
Appreciate 0
      10-24-2013, 08:53 AM   #78
bmw142
Rep

I had one of the effected vehicles and I just want to let people know what BMW has replaced. My situation is very different from most as I complained about this problem back in February when there were only a handful of complaints and BMW had no idea what was going on. I hope they finally have a fix for those with the car and the braking issue. This is what was replaced on a three month old car with 4600 miles on it when the problem appeared. A Vacuum pump and then another vacuum pump, Intake camshaft, Check Valve for Brake Booster, Vacuum Pipe, High Pressure pipe, Gasket ring, Decoupling element, and another Vacuum Pipe with Gasket. I can tell you that BMW was really bad in handling this situation, not only for me , but also others with the same problem that have contacted me. This was my fourth and last BMW, finally realizing they don't care about their customers after the sale. I had been dealing with them for 8 months on this issue, and finally handled it myself and sold the car.
Appreciate 0
      11-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #79
ilbmw328
Registered
Rep
Drives: 2013 328i xDrive

Does anyone know how if the defect is intermittent? Can it fail once and not happen again? I had an accident in my car and it is on the recall list. I thought I wasn't reacting fast enough when I rear ended someone. But now I am unsure because I only remembered that I had to floor the brake to try to stop. I don't know if the brake wasn't doing its job normally and I had to floor it to stop it. I had the BMW body repair center check the brakes and they claimed it was fine when they tested it. But obviously, they weren't fine because of the recall.
Appreciate 0
      11-25-2013, 09:43 PM   #80
bmw142
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by ilbmw328 View Post
Does anyone know how if the defect is intermittent? Can it fail once and not happen again? I had an accident in my car and it is on the recall list. I thought I wasn't reacting fast enough when I rear ended someone. But now I am unsure because I only remembered that I had to floor the brake to try to stop. I don't know if the brake wasn't doing its job normally and I had to floor it to stop it. I had the BMW body repair center check the brakes and they claimed it was fine when they tested it. But obviously, they weren't fine because of the recall.
Yes, it is intermittent. When I had my car, it would stop without a problem 99% of the time, but I knew when it was not going to stop as when I starting applying brake pedal pressure it didn't feel normal and the car would glide to a stop. This problem does not happen all the time, which makes it very hard to figure out.
Appreciate 0
      01-29-2014, 09:52 AM   #81
Farook
Rep
Drives: F30 328i M-Sport

Just happen to me 3 times in the last 2 weeks also on my 2012(November) 328i M-Sport.
You just cant predict when it hapens and when it doesn`t.

Im from UK by the way...so is not just USA.
Appreciate 0
      03-14-2014, 10:02 AM   #82
Square&Compass
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328xi sedan

Brake Pad Failure

I have to add my name to the list. I am at the Dealer now with 8,600 kilometres and need the front and back brake pads replaced due to rust on the rotors wearing out the pads. Does that make sense ?
Appreciate 0
      06-21-2014, 06:24 PM   #83
christof30
Private
No_Country
Rep
Drives: 320d Xdrive EstorilBlueII

Quote:
Originally Posted by sqweak View Post
Don't think so. IIRC air in the lines would result in spongy pedal feel, instead of a hard pedal. It also wouldn't matter what speed you were going, which is counter to myself and several others who have reported no problems at normal speeds but issues at lower speed.
agree!
      09-10-2014, 06:36 PM   #84
ji99lypuff
Lieutenant
Rep
Drives: 2014 bmw 328xi

I dont know if im experiencing brake failure as it never has caused me to get into an accident or not stop but i do know that the 2014 328xi brakes suck big time! I have never felt less confident in my brakes as i do now. Even my mazda 3 had better pedal feel? or braking power. It just doesnt feel right, and when i brought it in to the service center for my first oil change i brought it up to them but they told me nothing was wrong. I am very dissapointed in the cheap brakes bmw puts on their 328 and 320's .
Appreciate 0
      01-06-2015, 07:48 PM   #85
Lster
Registered
Rep
Drives: 328i

power braking issue beyond recall dates. Any advice?

Hi all,

I have a 328i 2014 showing the same issues, but...it was manufactured in Munich a few months after the recall dates (which are through 8/2013). I braked at full pressure but experienced loss of braking power leading to a collision (no injuries). I had the car for 5 weeks and it's spent 3 more weeks at the dealer (while I'm in a crappy rental). Dealer refused to touch it. North American inspector coming tomorrow. Like many others this is a low mileage, low speed new car issue.

Seeking advice from you all regarding:
From my description below, what do you think was the cause?

2) if they come back saying they couldn't recreate brake issue, or its a very minor repair, what worked for you to ultimately get a safe car?
3) what was the ultimate resolution - a fix that stuck or buyback/return? how long did you have to work with BMW on the problems?
4) was anyone not covered by the recall?
5) When is the right time to initiate a buy back or take back of lease?

Incident:
1) At stop or nearly stopped <2-3 mph the brakes seemed to give up their holding power. Car rolled downhill. The brake pedal went from nearly stopping car to juddering. It felt as if the car thought I was hardly braking - the car switched to from nearly stopped to crawling. No slipping - the wheels were rolling, no indicator lights. This happened in light rain, but the car stopped and then braking power failed - we were going slowly and couldn't stop the car until it hit something or had a long flat empty road.

2) 3 other time in garage or at intersections, the brakes would judder when pressed hard while the car stopped. All these occurred at <1200 miles, at 0-3 mph.
Appreciate 0
      06-03-2015, 04:27 PM   #86
phoneman
Rep
Drives: 2012 F30 Sport Line Black

Great. Me too.

My 2012 328i Sport with 72k miles just went in for service on Friday to have the brake fluid changed. They found an issue with a wiring harness, so they had it a few extra days. Today (Wednesday) I got a call back from the dealer, telling me that they took it for a test drive, and the brakes failed... same story as elsewhere, hard pedal. They're saying that the vacuum pump was sucking oil out of the crankcase and it's ruined. New vacuum pump, valve cover, gaskets, hoses, etc. $1600+. Not sure, but I think the car had a Feb 2012 manufacturing date.

The dealer's people are decent guys, and were going to send an email to BMW asking if they can assist somehow. Then I started googling and see all the problems that folks have had, and that there was a recall for vacuum pump failures. What should I be pressing BMW for? Any advice?
Appreciate 1
      08-24-2015, 11:24 AM   #87
rittersb
Registered
Rep
Drives: 528xi

brakes issues

I have a 2012 528xi, just had replaced oil filter housing, 2 hoses, an engine cover, the dealer flushed the brake system and filled it with new BMW brake fluid, performed standard scope ( all under warranty).
Brought the car home, drove it 2 hours later on an expressway, slowed down to prepare to stop a the red light. pressed the brakes with no response and hit the car in front of me. Had no issues prior.
Needless to say the car is back at the dealer so "the engineeres" will examin it for 2-3 weeks.
How will they fix the problem, any advice??
Thx
Appreciate 0
      09-20-2015, 06:47 AM   #88
cortex
Rep
Drives: BMW 435d xDrive M-sport

I put on my H&R sport springs (not the sport +) on my 435d xDrive F32 2015 and it was needed as this car is rather heavy compared to the M4 and the diesel 3-liter, automatic gearbox, xDrive it is near 2000 kg. The original springs are to high, to soft. This works perfect with adaptive suspention. LED/Xenon lights autoadjust height, no need to fiddle with that, but watch out if you change suspension yourself, arms can get cloged backward and lights point into the wazoo then...
Appreciate 0