F30POST
F30POST
2012-2015 BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum
BMW Garage BMW Meets Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read
BMW 3-Series and 4-Series Forum (F30 / F32) | F30POST > BIMMERPOST Universal Forums > Off-Topic Discussions Board > Health, Fitness, Martial Arts, and Nutrition > Any Taekwondo head hunters here?
Extreme Powerhouse

08-03-2010, 03:35 AM   #1
PhamtasticE90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

Any Taekwondo head hunters here?

sup guys, pretty new here. surprised to see a MA section on bimmer forum. just wanted to know if any of u trained in tkd. i use to when i was in hs. it was off and on after that. once in a while ill put on my white jammies and go climbing the punchinbag with some roundhouses. been a while but will never forget it tho. iv also tried other MA's but didnt like any of them. prolly cuz i suck. hahah.
      08-03-2010, 08:15 AM   #2
BrokenVert
Resident Kerbalnaut
United_States
Rep
Drives: Topless Brute/Hybrid Boogaloo

I trained for a few years under my uncle (2nd degree black) and a close friend of his (fourth degree black)

I was a brown belt before my uncle died and then I got some sort of mental block...I just stopped right then

and why can bimmer guys talk about other things?

Appreciate 0
      08-03-2010, 10:41 AM   #3
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep
Drives: AW 335D E90

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
TKD in the U.S. is mostly a joke. 99% McDojo.

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 01:01 PM   #4
import36
Burrito bowl connoisseur
United_States
Rep
Drives: 2015 Nissan GTR Black Edition

Quote:
Originally Posted by OC 335i View Post
TKD in the U.S. is mostly a joke. 99% McDojo.
what the?!?

i took TKD when i was younger, got my 1st degree bb when i was 12, then just quit for lack of interest. i would much rather take some brazilian jj etc...
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 01:02 PM   #5
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by import36 View Post
what the?!?

i took TKD when i was younger, got my 1st degree bb when i was 12, then just quit for lack of interest. i would much rather take some brazilian jj etc...
Exactly, a black belt as a 12 year old is a joke.

Current: 2010 Alpine White 335D LCI l 19" BBS LMs l KW V2 Coilovers l BMW Performance Grilles l MSport Front/Rear l Karbonwerke Trunk l F1 Pinnacle Tint 35% Former: E92 Space Grey 335i Latest pics
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 01:38 PM   #6
xchosun1x
Track Duty
United_States
Rep
Drives: Track build 08 E92 M3 DCT

i trained for about 12 years..competed on a international level.
still practice today..mostly on my own.

but it definitely had a strong effect on my life
Appreciate 0
      08-06-2010, 02:56 PM   #7
PhamtasticE90
Private First Class
Rep
Drives: E90

Quote:
ur damn right. what u know and how u apply it is more important than any belt color.
      08-30-2010, 05:53 PM   #8
sb335is
Captain
Rep
Drives: fast

Quote:
Shit I got mine at 13. Today, I can still kick heads on a level nobody else can even though I stopped a few years ago.

And that shit drilled basic values into me. Respect, courage, values of friendship, discipline in general. I'd like to say I'm very well rounded unlike most of the drunk jackasses around me, and I'd like to thank the 7 or so years of getting yelled and drilled as a kid for that. I've got a ton of confidence to this day from it and it prepared me for a few fights i've gotten in since. You'd be surprised how batshit useless some teenager is in a fight once you start throwing kicks and he has no idea what to do.

And most of all, it taught me not to be a pussy at a young age. Today, I got a problem? I'll tell you what my problem is to you not behind you. You get too aggressive? I'll break you. You threaten me? I'll wait until you hit me first.

Although there are some downsides to having balls and not being a pussy. You'll hear girls or whoever talking shit behind your back and confront them about if because you aren't a coward. You are now automatically the bad guy and they are the victims. Everybody will now see you as the 'mean' one. Apparently there is a fundamental difference. 99% of high school, college, and most likely the rest of the world is full of cowards.

Anyways, my ground games pretty good so I don't think I'm going to do BJJ anymore and I'm probably going to start a well rounded MMA program.

Last edited by sb335is; 08-30-2010 at 06:00 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 05:55 PM   #9
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by twoturboz View Post
Shit I got mine at 13. Today, I can still kick heads on a level nobody else can even though I stopped a few years ago.

And that shit drilled basic values into me. Respect, courage, values of friendship, discipline in general. I'd like to say I'm very well rounded unlike most of the drunk jackasses around me, and I'd like to thank the 7 or so years of getting yelled and drilled as a kid for that.
I didn't say it did not help, some exercise/training is better than nothing but it is my opinion that to award a person so young with a Black Belt is watering down the belts and the art.

I can agree that any Martial Arts can apply valuable life lessons and discipline, I disagree with the ranking systems in some of the more commercialized/McDojo Martial Arts.

Did you do full contact sparring or was it mostly a point system?

Last edited by OC Guy; 08-30-2010 at 06:07 PM..
Appreciate 0
      08-30-2010, 06:48 PM   #10
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

Quote:
Boards don't hit back... In my experience here in Toronto in the 80's - anyone with the money could buy a Korean Black Belt...
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 07:49 AM   #11
BMW_TT
Colonel
Rep
Drives: E92 335i

I quit right before I was going to be a black belt in the 5th grade. LOL
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 09:33 AM   #12
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep
Drives: 2010 M3 Coupe

Quote:

And that shit drilled basic values into me. Respect, courage, values of friendship, discipline in general. I'd like to say I'm very well rounded unlike most of the drunk jackasses around me, and I'd like to thank the 7 or so years of getting yelled and drilled as a kid for that. I've got a ton of confidence to this day from it and it prepared me for a few fights i've gotten in since. You'd be surprised how batshit useless some teenager is in a fight once you start throwing kicks and he has no idea what to do.

And most of all, it taught me not to be a pussy at a young age. Today, I got a problem? I'll tell you what my problem is to you not behind you. You get too aggressive? I'll break you. You threaten me? I'll wait until you hit me first.

Although there are some downsides to having balls and not being a pussy. You'll hear girls or whoever talking shit behind your back and confront them about if because you aren't a coward. You are now automatically the bad guy and they are the victims. Everybody will now see you as the 'mean' one. Apparently there is a fundamental difference. 99% of high school, college, and most likely the rest of the world is full of cowards.

Anyways, my ground games pretty good so I don't think I'm going to do BJJ anymore and I'm probably going to start a well rounded MMA program.
Maybe an anger management program first?

2010 E92 M3|Silverstone II|M-DCT|NCSW|2MT|ZCW|ZPP|ZTP|302|507|Gas Guzzler Tax
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 09:40 AM   #13
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caddyshk View Post
Boards don't hit back... In my experience here in Toronto in the 80's - anyone with the money could buy a Korean Black Belt...
Your experience was typical of today too. As early as 6 and with as little experince as 1.5 years can earn you 1st dan in TKD.

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 09:57 AM   #14
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:

I guess you edited your post and I didn't read this.

When you get older you might pick and choose your battles with people talking shit behind your back. Some simply are not worth it.

As for BJJ/Ground game, I don't know your ground game but almost any MMA program will incorporate BJJ or some type of Submission Wrestling.

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 09:58 AM   #15
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyoshi71 View Post
Your experience was typical of today too. As early as 6 and with as little experince as 1.5 years can earn you 1st dan in TKD.
LOL pathetic. In BJJ you are a blue belt maybe and you stay there for a few years. In IBJJF rules, you cannot even become a blue belt til you hit 18.

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 10:24 AM   #16
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep

I've never trained in TKD and never would. It's unfortunate though that it's reputation has been tarnished so badly. Years ago, the martial arts of the Korean Penninsula were very formidable. It wasnt until some time in the mid-60s when the Korean Government nationalized and combined most/all of their fighting arts into "Tae Kwon Do" that the approach became competition over combat.

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 03:17 PM   #17
sb335is
Captain
Rep
Drives: fast

Quote:
I didn't say it did not help, some exercise/training is better than nothing but it is my opinion that to award a person so young with a Black Belt is watering down the belts and the art.

I can agree that any Martial Arts can apply valuable life lessons and discipline, I disagree with the ranking systems in some of the more commercialized/McDojo Martial Arts.

Did you do full contact sparring or was it mostly a point system?

Where I trained wasn't "commercialized" aka a franchise. Once I hit BB we would do cycles for a month at a time. Month of Muai(sp?) Thai month of BJJ, month of boxing. We'd get Gi's during BJJ and start on our knees with a partner and just have at it until one of us submitted. When doing boxing we'd always do body shots and face and balls were obviously off limits.

Way more awesome than a typical dojo. And sometimes we'd play with one handed broad swords and learn some moves, I mean I'm not quite sure when I'll ever be in a combat situation with a sword but hey, I'm prepared. And I can kick ass with a Bo-Staff
      08-31-2010, 03:37 PM   #18
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Where I trained wasn't "commercialized" aka a franchise. Once I hit BB we would do cycles for a month at a time. Month of Muai(sp?) Thai month of BJJ, month of boxing. We'd get Gi's during BJJ and start on our knees with a partner and just have at it until one of us submitted. When doing boxing we'd always do body shots and face and balls were obviously off limits.

Way more awesome than a typical dojo. And sometimes we'd play with one handed broad swords and learn some moves, I mean I'm not quite sure when I'll ever be in a combat situation with a sword but hey, I'm prepared. And I can kick ass with a Bo-Staff
And you did this at 13? Something does not add up here. Where did you train? Who did you train BJJ under? Plus what you are talking about isn't TKD.

So you got your TKD BB @ 13 and trained MT/BJJ/Used Swords/Bo Staff/and did ball shots all at 13 years old?

Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 06:45 PM   #19
Caddyshk
M = Midlife Crisis
Canada
Rep
Drives: 2006 Z4MC Interlagos

I recall 25 years ago heading down to Port Huron Michigan with a friend for a PKA event when Kick Boxing was banned in Ontario. He faced off against the US Taekwondo Middle Weight point champion at the time - 45 seconds later - lights out with a back-fist... Boards don't hit back...
SS Race Cans, RE X Pipe, DKF Sec 1, Fabspeed Headers, OE STB, AS Shifter, Dave Z CDV, GC Coil Overs, Stoptech lines, Hawk DTC Pads, RE Clutch Stop, RE Transmission Mounts, Vibra-Technics Engine Mounts, Poly FCAB & RTAB, LeatherZ M Shift Boot, Tekarbon Rear Spoiler, CF Grills, Advan RS DGM
Appreciate 0
      08-31-2010, 08:44 PM   #20
Buegie
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: 330xi

Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW_TT View Post
I quit right before I was going to be a black belt in the 5th grade. LOL
haha, I took karate when I was younger. I stopped at red but probably would have been black by 7th grade, it was a little ridiculous. I love BJJ because nothing is handed to you (assuming you're training at a legitimate gym)
      08-31-2010, 10:54 PM   #21
OC Guy
General
United_States
Rep

Garage List
2007 335i  [0.00]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buegie View Post
haha, I took karate when I was younger. I stopped at red but probably would have been black by 7th grade, it was a little ridiculous. I love BJJ because nothing is handed to you (assuming you're training at a legitimate gym)
Which most still are (legitimate gyms). I had this discussion on another forum. BJJ is still a rare sport where you can train and even spar with your heroes. Absolute World Champions teaching each and every class. Amazing.

Appreciate 0
      09-01-2010, 06:38 AM   #22
Kyoshi71
Colonel
Rep

Quote:
We'd get Gi's during BJJ and start on our knees with a partner and just have at it until one of us
YOU WHAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Appreciate 0